Author Topic: Jackson confirms the Knicks will try and trade Melo  (Read 7692 times)

Re: Jackson confirms the Knicks will try and trade Melo
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2017, 06:18:11 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Anthony has handled this with remarkable class.

Should be commended.

Whereas Phil has completely dropped the ball. Between him and Dolan, I don't see how the Knicks get any free agents anytime soon.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2017, 07:22:55 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
The "Zen Master" has made the New York Knicks look like a hot mess for the way he's chosen to handle this.

For his supposed intelligence - which I respect - he could've did this better. He simply CANNOT be above this all.

I have no doubt that Melo is a SMALL part of the problem but he's being made to be a scapegoat here.

I believe Melo has gotten better as a player over the last few years and if it wasn't for that Albatross-around-the-neck of a contract he has I'd love to see him in Green.

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2017, 07:23:15 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Watch danny trade the nets pick for Melo.

He d better not  :'(

When they traded 3/4 of the talent and assets they owned to get Melo .....what in the devil did they think would happen.    They put him on a tram that was completely depleted in order to acquire him.

In Melos defense .....he was set up to fail. That was the dumbest trade ever.

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2017, 07:54:30 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I can see Melo coming here, BUT there is no way Danny trades the Nets pick for him, ........none.

If we can snag one of Hayward/Milsap/Griffin (my least preferred because Blake's legs scare the bejeesus out of me) for NOTHING and then can get Melo for almost nothing, that's almost an ideal scenario for me. We get to keep Brown and Brooklyn 17 and 18.
Compete now, compete later.

A S&T'd Olynyk plus Zeller plus Bradley for Melo and O'Quinn or Hernangomez should do it. Add in any non-BK picks as needed.

Thomas/Rozier
Hayward/Smart
Crowder/Brown
Melo/Horford/Yabs
Horford/O'Quinn/Zizic..........PLUS the Brooklyn '17 in there somewhere...OR

Thomas/Rozier
Brown/Smart
Melo/Crowder
Milsap/Melo/Yabs
Horford/O'Quinn/Zizic......PLUS the Brooklyn '17

Contending for now AND for the future.

Not sure who would have to be renounced/dumped for draft picks to do this?

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2017, 08:06:27 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
The salaries in a Melo trade will be hard to match and his price's going to be low. Look what the Kings got for Cousins. He'll probably only allow himself to traded to a contender and only if the contender doesn't give up too much, other wise they would no longer be a contender. What a mismanaged mess by Phil Jackson, really makes you appreciate the Nets trade even more! If such a thing is possible!
I am a bit concerned he goes to brooklyn to stay in New York.

Id take him if Griffin etc dont come through.

He is a good rebounder and underrated passer and more than provides the secondary scoring option next to Isaiah.

If Melo doesn't care about going to a contender, Brooklyn makes sense for him.

I always thought that part of his issue with NY was that they have no hope of contending. Can't imagine that BKN is on his radar.

Mike

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2017, 09:14:10 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
The only way I'm touching Melo is if Porzingis is attached and we don't keep Melo. Like that's happening:

Melo, Bradley ($35M) => Utah
Hayward, Zingis ($35M) => Boston
Joe Johnson, Crowder, #1 pick ($24M) => NY

Gotta love Melo in Utah, right?

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2017, 09:20:12 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
The only way I'm touching Melo is if Porzingis is attached and we don't keep Melo. Like that's happening:

There's no way they move Porzingis if they are moving Melo. He's all they got for any hope for the future. He's the only thing Phil did right in NY.

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2017, 10:00:31 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
it seems to me the only way this works would be to trade Horford  (I like simple trades) plus maybe some lower value picks.  Horford and Porzingis wouldn't be too bad together.

Who's in?  Who thinks Carmelo for Horford makes us better?  You have to think of this as the team for the balance of the Thomas tenure and that it is likely that Thomas finds greener pastures (no pun intended) meaning essentially one season.

Then it is Carmelo's team for one more season with a bunch of young players.

Who would give the Knicks more than this (and actually be able to match salaries without gutting the team)?

This is a horrible idea, and would make the team substantially worse.

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2017, 11:42:05 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Indiana Pacers?  http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kdsyb33

NYK trades Melo + Courtney Lee to Indiana in exchange for Monta Ellis, Thad Young, CJ Miles, 2017 first round pick, 2019 first round pick.

Jeff Teague, Courtney Lee, Paul George, Carmelo, and Myles Turner is a heck of a starting 5 although they would be severely lacking in bench depth.

Indy has to send two first rounders because they have to send two bad contracts to NYK in order to make salaries match.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2017, 02:09:58 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

There's no way they move Porzingis if they are moving Melo. He's all they got for any hope for the future. He's the only thing Phil did right in NY.

Their tune may change when they realize nobody will give them anything good for Melo and his $27M salary, bad attitude, and 33 year-old body.

They have 2 years of control on Porzingis and he's already upset.

Don't get me wrong, he's the last player they *want* to move, but they'd be nuts to not strongly consider it for a fresh start with Fultz.

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2017, 03:39:30 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
The salaries in a Melo trade will be hard to match and his price's going to be low. Look what the Kings got for Cousins. He'll probably only allow himself to traded to a contender and only if the contender doesn't give up too much, other wise they would no longer be a contender. What a mismanaged mess by Phil Jackson, really makes you appreciate the Nets trade even more! If such a thing is possible!
In the summer we could trade him into our cap space. No salary would have to go back in return. We could agree a deal on draft night so that any picks involved can be selected by the right team and then sign the deal after the moratorium.

Doubt we look at trade before we have a look at Griffin and Hayward though. It may be a Plan Q..

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2017, 07:30:57 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I've never thought much of carmelo but he has handled the situation great while phil has hurt the knicks and his own image.  I don't think anthony fits on celtics unless its as a power forward as he can stretch the floor.  Main issue is his huge contract that NYK gave him and his age.  Portland could use him

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2017, 08:46:37 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

Melo waves his No Trade clause to go to ..... UTAH ?!?!?!?!?

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2017, 09:29:49 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I was big on acquiring Anthony at the deadline and would be all for it this summer if Boston whiffs on any free agents.  Then you mostly absorb Anthony into cap space and moving a couple of wings and a 1st.  I'd push for OQuinn as well.  So something like Anthony and O'Quinn for Rozier, Bradley, and 2018 Boston 1st.  Trade makes backcourt room for Brown and the 17 rookie along with Smart and Thomas.  Crowder starts at SF with Anthony or Brown getting the backup minutes there. Anthony is the starting PF where I think he could thrive with KO backing him up. Then you have Horford with a legit backup in O'Quinn. 

I think that would be a fairly reasonable fall back plan should no free agents sign in Boston.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2017, 09:30:33 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
it seems to me the only way this works would be to trade Horford  (I like simple trades) plus maybe some lower value picks.  Horford and Porzingis wouldn't be too bad together.

Who's in?  Who thinks Carmelo for Horford makes us better?  You have to think of this as the team for the balance of the Thomas tenure and that it is likely that Thomas finds greener pastures (no pun intended) meaning essentially one season.

Then it is Carmelo's team for one more season with a bunch of young players.

Who would give the Knicks more than this (and actually be able to match salaries without gutting the team)?

This is a horrible idea, and would make the team substantially worse.

Really, Al Horford is a more valuable player than Carmelo Anthony?  I wonder if Cleveland or the Clippers would see it that way.  I don't see it that way.  I recognize that Carmelo is not the player he once was but Horford never was that kind of player.  Horford does things that don't show up in the box score, I know.  I like his passing and court movement, it all helps but Carmelo could average 20+ for us.  It would change the whole way that teams have to defend us.  Carmelo can defend and rebound sufficiently in the role he would play on the Celtics.

Also, keep in mind that Horford is not going to be all that valuable to us in a few years.  We are going to have a young team of Smart, Fultz, Brown Zizic, etc.  We are going to end up trading Horford as some point anyway I predict.

Any trade for Carmelo has to match salaries, that is the main reason you have to think about Horford.  I don't think giving up Horford is that big a deal at all.  My hesitation with Carmelo is his knees but we only need him really for one season to make a run with IT.  Then IT is probably going to sign for big money elsewhere and we start over with a very good young core.

If your case is that Carmelo's knees are shot, OK, but I do not buy that Al Horford makes us better than Carmelo otherwise.  This "Carmelo sucks" narrative is overblown.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 09:42:26 AM by Vermont Green »