Author Topic: We are going to be dissapointed  (Read 3517 times)

We are going to be dissapointed
« on: April 14, 2017, 09:07:16 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
I will clarify, I think we will most likely still win, but I think our defense is truly pathetic. We allow even the most challenged teams score on and score a lot and at will.

I think the game will slow down in the playoffs somewhat, BUT that will only hurt us, that can only hurt us. I don't think it hurts the bulls as much.

If we suck on defense which we seem to have this year, and the Bulls shoot a decent percentage from 3, I think we may have some depressing moments in this series.

Flashback to ATLANTA just this past couple weeks.

Re: We are going to be dissapointed
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 09:12:00 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I don't have any numbers in front of me but I think Chicago is one of the worst teams from 3 so all of a sudden they will start shooting them and making them? I think our defensive breakdown is when teams can take it to the hoop. Interior defense is our issue - not with teams that shoot the 3. McDermott is gone and I think he was one of their better 3 point shooters.

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 09:12:49 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
A bet. I bet a very valuable and precious tp that the Celtics win the series.

Cheer up. The point here is to enjoy life and the Celtics. With an approach such as yours there is no winning for a fan. even when the team wins such a fan is already sour and only waits for the next loss without enjoying the win.

Life is short, the playoffs are fun.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 12:53:22 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
i think several of our most ferocious defenders decided to tone it down a bit and stay healthy
they had a couple of years living off defense and last year with three players sub par for playoffs

lopez has no outside shot,rondo not a threat-that should leave rondos defender more room, the floor will be less spaced with lopez--
playoff experience of horford,amir, and the rest of celts the last two-and bradley had his time
-we got a better coach and boston garden home court
whatever happens the team is in ascendancy -

« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 01:45:58 PM by rollie mass »

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 01:05:11 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I think the Celtics will pack the lane and force the Bulls to shoot. We all want Rondo to shoot.

Don't give up too many drives to DWade.

I don't believe they have much of a frontline so we need to take the ball to the basket and not settle on 3s. Let's live at the FT line.

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 01:15:21 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
We're #12 in defensive efficiency, despite being 21st at the end of January. That's above-average even with a terrible start factored in, well above-average in the 2nd half.

We're not a dominant defensive squad but it's hardly some fatal flaw. The fact that everybody's scoring a ton this year is probably skewing perceptions.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 01:40:01 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 01:23:38 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
We were also 2nd in the league in opponent 3pt%.

I don't see the logic in thinking a team that can't really hit 3s will somehow shoot us out of the series.

And if anything, when the game slows down defending the 3 becomes more important, doesn't it? Fewer transition and broken plays.

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 01:33:44 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
We will be fine as long as we stay committed to rebounding better. Cut down on 2nd chance points.

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 03:02:01 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Celtics come out aggressive and stay aggressive, Celtics win easily...if not we're screwed.

Punch first, don't get punched.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 03:39:33 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I will clarify, I think we will most likely still win, but I think our defense is truly pathetic. We allow even the most challenged teams score on and score a lot and at will.
we are 12th in the league in defensive rating. Not great, but certainly not "truly pathetic".
I think the game will slow down in the playoffs somewhat, BUT that will only hurt us, that can only hurt us. I don't think it hurts the bulls as much.
We actually dont rely on transition scoring at all.

We are the 6th worst team in terms of transition efficiency and Chicago and us have nearly identical transition possesions per game. Transition points actually make up a larger portion of Chicago's offense then ours.

If we suck on defense which we seem to have this year, and the Bulls shoot a decent percentage from 3, I think we may have some depressing moments in this series.

Flashback to ATLANTA just this past couple weeks.
The Bulls shooting a decent percentage from three is unlikely. I mean they are 24th in the NBA in 3 point%.

With McDermott out of the picture their best three point shooters are probably Mirotic and Valentine.

Wade and Butler are capable of getting hot, but thats not unique to this series. You can look at literally any team in the NBA and say "if they get really hot on 3s they could be tough to stop". In fact, if there is any team where you really cant use that argument it is Chicago. They are 29th in the NBA in 3pointers attempted so them making a large percentage wont even doom you because they dont take enough to make a huge difference.

A team like the Nets is a better example of them being able to just get hot and randomly outshoot you because they take 32 threes a game! Chicago only takes 22.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 05:22:18 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I think the Celtics will pack the lane and force the Bulls to shoot. We all want Rondo to shoot.

Don't give up too many drives to DWade.

I don't believe they have much of a frontline so we need to take the ball to the basket and not settle on 3s. Let's live at the FT line.

I don't.  He shot 37.6% on 3s this year (and 36.5% last year, so it's not a fluke), which is more than enough to make him a threat.  I'd take away his outside shot and force him to try and drive against our guys (that was dangerous 5 years ago, but not really anymore) or pass to someone that's worse than him at shooting 3s
I'm bitter.

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 07:31:26 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I really believe that Coach Stevens has been letting BOS hold back somewhat defensively.

I'm certain that a better defensive effort will be unleashed here in the playoffs.

I'm not worried at all and am looking forward to this series and the next couple of months.

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2017, 07:37:39 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
We know all of rondos weaknesses. Let him shoot the 3. Clog  his passing lanes. Don't fall for his fake passes. Shoot when he guards you cuz he sags off half the time

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2017, 07:38:08 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
We've been trying to commit to better rebounding all year long...that dog just ain't gonna hunt.

Number one, we're undersized, number two our bigs just are not good rebounders. Horford, Amir, both show less than average numbers when talking rebounding in their careers. It has to be a team effort, a gang effort. 

We should have enough to get past the Bulls, as long as our 3 point shooting stays somewhat consistent,  everyone plays to their potential, and of course barring injuries.

IMO if we get out of the first round, we're playing with house money, and could actually go to the ECF depending on who gets eliminated along the way. I'm a little apprehensive about Toronto.

I'm also not convinced the Cavs will be able to just "turn it on"...LeBron or not.

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2017, 08:04:03 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I'm disappointed in your spelling.