Author Topic: Jayson Tatum Comparison: Why he could be a really good fit  (Read 8720 times)

Jayson Tatum Comparison: Why he could be a really good fit
« on: April 14, 2017, 02:18:11 AM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Jayson Tatum appears to be the worst case scenario on most bloggers big board. The top tier is Fultz, Ball and Jackson. Jayson Tatum has all the makings of a really good pro, but he isn't quite talked about in their company.

I was watching highlights and it struck me what role he could have if we took him. I think Tatum will be plenty capable of playing the 2 guard alongside Jaylen Brown. He shot around 40% from 3 for most of the season, but got into a 3-point shooting slump in the second half of the season that dragged his season average down to 34%. I think Tatum will be a much better 3-point shooter then his end of season average suggests.

Here's the comparison:   Khris Middleton

They have nearly identical frames.

Tatum
6'8.3"  Height (w/ shoes)
6'11" Wingspan

Middleton
6'10.8" Wingspan

I thought about the comparison while watching Tatum highlights, and sure enough their have almost identical measurements. Now Tatum's measurements were taken at last summers Hoop Summit and he will probably be a tad bigger then Middleton when he enters the league.

Tatum could give us size on the perimeter, but that's to his lean build should be able to keep up with opposing guards. Jaylen Brown also has the foot speed to keep up with guards on the defensive end.

Tatum was effective as a distributor and made some really nice passes on a consistent basis. I think his athleticism a bit underrated only because he's been compared to Josh Jackson all season, who is a freak of nature. Tatum is athletic, just not on the elite level of Jaylen Brown, Josh Jackson or Andrew Wiggins.

Tatum can score from 3, mid range and while driving to the hoop. Even while he struggle from 3 down the stretch for the blue devils, he still shot a very respectable percentage from the field and showed that he can find way to score night in, night out.

I know some are concerned he wouldn't be a great fit, compared to others at the top of the draft. But honestly I think any in the top 4 will fit into what we're doing. And upon closer inspection, Jayson Tatum could actually be a very good fit to this teams roster. We would add scoring off the bench, which has been a weakness. It would also give us size at the guard position, which will compliment players like Bradley, Thomas or Rozier in certain rotations. He could give us that unique long guard play that players like Khris Middleton and Klay Thompson have proved to be very valuable. It comforting to know that we aren't at risk of missing out on these top 4 guys, and Tatum could end up have a better career than any of the other 3.

Re: Jayson Tatum Comparison: Why he could be a really good fit
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 02:34:50 AM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I also just want to add. I'm not saying Khris Middleton is Tatum's ceiling. But I think Tatum could fit into a role like Middleton's with this team while he develops into the player he will become.

That could be his role for the bench unit which has struggled to fill the second guard position alongside Marcus Smart.

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 03:08:25 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Tatum has a lot of weapons, plays smart, and fits with the group great. I agree he would be a great compliment to jaylen and smart with his midrange shot and other scoring abilities. He has a good all around game

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 03:42:17 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Great stuff and TP to the OP. I like any of the top 4 and I think they'll all at least be in the league for a while as decent contributors, but my favourite is Fultz atm. He just has that kind of smoothness and versatility to his game that I think will translate very nicely to the nba
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 07:27:28 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
He is a Stevens type guy , being of the right build and versatile player.   Team first type player .He seems to have a good demeanor about him .  Quiet , but plays hard team ball in the manor of AB or Horford . Seems very savvy too,  with passes .  I still want Fultz #1 if the NBA gods shine on us ,  his scoring is amazing for his age ...we need his scoring to help IT ....appears we are keeping iT ....  I like Jackson too.   Pass on Ball ...let him be a Laker where he belongs.   I'd take Tatum or Foxx third or fourth .
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 12:54:34 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 07:41:55 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I think Tatum could play the 3/4 after watching him play 20+ times this season, I do not think he could handle the 2, he already has a solid NBA frame and can bang down low. 
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 09:13:50 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I think Tatum could play the 3/4 after watching him play 20+ times this season, I do not think he could handle the 2, he already has a solid NBA frame and can bang down low.

No way he has the quickness to defend the 2.  I think he might struggle defensively at the 3 as well.  Like most of these guys, he has a long way to go.

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 11:48:49 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Middleton is not a good comp IMO.  Km is a much better defender.

Tatum is more of a Melo, Pierce Hybrid on offense. Tatum has much more all around offensive upside than Middleton.

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 12:03:54 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Jayson Tatum appears to be the worst case scenario on most bloggers big board. The top tier is Fultz, Ball and Jackson. Jayson Tatum has all the makings of a really good pro, but he isn't quite talked about in their company.

I was watching highlights and it struck me what role he could have if we took him. I think Tatum will be plenty capable of playing the 2 guard alongside Jaylen Brown. He shot around 40% from 3 for most of the season, but got into a 3-point shooting slump in the second half of the season that dragged his season average down to 34%. I think Tatum will be a much better 3-point shooter then his end of season average suggests.

Here's the comparison:   Khris Middleton

They have nearly identical frames.

Tatum
6'11" Wingspan

Middleton
6'10.8" Wingspan

I thought about the comparison while watching Tatum highlights, and sure enough their have almost identical measurements. Now Tatum's measurements were taken at last summers Hoop Summit and he will probably be a tad bigger then Middleton when he enters the league.

Tatum could give us size on the perimeter, but that's to his lean build should be able to keep up with opposing guards. Jaylen Brown also has the foot speed to keep up with guards on the defensive end.

Tatum was effective as a distributor and made some really nice passes on a consistent basis. I think his athleticism a bit underrated only because he's been compared to Josh Jackson all season, who is a freak of nature. Tatum is athletic, just not on the elite level of Jaylen Brown, Josh Jackson or Andrew Wiggins.

Tatum can score from 3, mid range and while driving to the hoop. Even while he struggle from 3 down the stretch for the blue devils, he still shot a very respectable percentage from the field and showed that he can find way to score night in, night out.

I know some are concerned he wouldn't be a great fit, compared to others at the top of the draft. But honestly I think any in the top 4 will fit into what we're doing. And upon closer inspection, Jayson Tatum could actually be a very good fit to this teams roster. We would add scoring off the bench, which has been a weakness. It would also give us size at the guard position, which will compliment players like Bradley, Thomas or Rozier in certain rotations. He could give us that unique long guard play that players like Khris Middleton and Klay Thompson have proved to be very valuable. It comforting to know that we aren't at risk of missing out on these top 4 guys, and Tatum could end up have a better career than any of the other 3.
Once Tatum fills out I expect him to weigh a lot more than Middleton. Tatum is more of a 3/4 where I view Middleton as more of 2/3.

Middleton hangs his hat on defense and hitting open jumpers where Tatum is a great isolation scorer. I get that their frames are similar but I don't agree with their games being similar.

Shot creation is the most important skill in the NBA, and Tatum is much better at that imo.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 12:35:48 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton

No way he has the quickness to defend the 2.  I think he might struggle defensively at the 3 as well.  Like most of these guys, he has a long way to go.

That's what I was trying to say, TP.  Tatum is my guy though, he would give us a legit second scoring option.  The guy has the versatility to score in so many ways. 

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 02:39:25 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
If you end up with a top 4 pick, you don't use it to add scoring off the bench, you look for a star player who can provide mismatches.

Not saying Tatum won't be a good player but what does he do that stands out and says, I could be an elite NBA player someday?

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 04:52:43 AM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71
If you end up with a top 4 pick, you don't use it to add scoring off the bench, you look for a star player who can provide mismatches.

Not saying Tatum won't be a good player but what does he do that stands out and says, I could be an elite NBA player someday?

Score?
Memphis Grizzlies
PG: Dragic, Ball, Carter
SG: Temple, KCP, Holiday, Washburn
SF: Richardson, Anderson, Parsons, Casspi
PF: Jackson jr, Beasley, Watanabe
C: Adebayo, Green, Noah
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Memphis-Grizzlies/14/Rosters/Regular/2019  +21 Lal 2nd

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 09:13:10 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

1.303 points per possession. If that's not elite, I'm not sure what is.

His best pro comp - at maximum upside - may very well be Paul Pierce. Pierce was a 20/7 player in college from a big school who got to the FT line 6 times a game, shot 34% from 3 and 56% from 2 his Junior year. Tatum is a 20/8 player from a big school who got to the FT line 6 times a game, shot 34% from 3 and 50% from 2. Both are similar size, similar frames and had similar athleticism. It's hard to look at Tatum and not see some of Pierce's game.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 10:40:40 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I want Fultz at 1, but I'm fine with either Tatum or Ball at 2-4.

I think Tatum's three point range will come and that he's a perfect system player. Some one who can thrive in a well structured offense. The one thing with Tatum is that I worrry his defense will keep him off the floor. He seems to lack the foot speed to defend the wing and lacks the physicality to defend in the post. I believe you have to be able to defend well to really have success as a tweener in the NBA.

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017, 11:43:23 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton

1.303 points per possession. If that's not elite, I'm not sure what is.

His best pro comp - at maximum upside - may very well be Paul Pierce. Pierce was a 20/7 player in college from a big school who got to the FT line 6 times a game, shot 34% from 3 and 56% from 2 his Junior year. Tatum is a 20/8 player from a big school who got to the FT line 6 times a game, shot 34% from 3 and 50% from 2. Both are similar size, similar frames and had similar athleticism. It's hard to look at Tatum and not see some of Pierce's game.

Pierce was a junior though, Tatum is a freshman.  The reports about Tatum's work ethic have me convinced he is the best fit for us. 

I like the Pierce comp in terms of scoring versatility.

I truly believe that Tatum is a can't miss prospect and I would take him at number one.