Author Topic: Proof that the lottery is fixed  (Read 4851 times)

Proof that the lottery is fixed
« on: April 13, 2017, 12:54:29 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
I think we all know that the draft lottery is fixed. A lot of people have gone to great length to deny it, but seriously, how did the Knicks end up with Ewing? Or Orlando wins it two years in a row? Cleveland wins it twice, coincidentally, right as LeBron James joins the team? This is a star's league, and it is the stacked teams that generate money for the NBA. They want to make sure that the draft picks end up in the spots that will make the league the most cash.

The lottery itself is a great money-maker. It's a show with all kinds of conspiracies behind it and, the more people who watch the drawing, the better the advertising revenue.

I thought that I would do the forum a favor. Normally, we wait until after the lottery to show how the lottery was fixed. This year, however, as a public service, I am going to show you how it's manipulated before it even takes place, thus offering proof, once and for all, that it is fixed.

I've developed a line of reasoning based on the potential outcomes. When the drawing takes place and a winner is declared, simply pick the team from the list below for an explanation of why it was fixed for that particular team. No muss, no fuss, no debate. Naturally, the Celtics are excluded, since they would not participate in such chicanery.

Without further ado, if following teams win the lottery, here's why the NBA chose them...

Phoenix: The NBA has had trouble generating significant interest in the southeast US. As football moves into Las Vegas, it risks falling farther behind. A star at Phoenix would generate some excitement in the region.

Lakers: Duh, it's the Lakers. Lonzo Ball in LA would be a goldmine.

Philadelphia: Philly has yet to be rewarded for firing Hinkie, particularly since Simmons was out the entire season and Embiid remains injury-prone. The pick this year would be their payment for dumping The Process.

Dallas: Mark Cuban is a showman, first and foremost. Imagine what entertainment value (and dollars) he could bring with another star.

Orlando: Another city that has had difficulty generating interest recently, as it competes with the Mouse. But the back-to-back picks in the early 90s shows that it has potential, and a new GM could come in and fix it up.

New York: Duh, it's the Knicks.

T-Wolves: The NBA wants to reward the Wolves because they did it the right way. Rebuilt, groomed young players and used their draft picks well. A strong Minnesota team would prove that it's not hopeless to be a small city in the NBA. Furthermore, the Wolves changed their logo this year. That's more licensing money for the league.

Sacramento: See Philly, who will be the recipient of Sac's draft pick if it wins the lottery.

New Orleans: Every team needs a Big 3. So far, I count two on New Orleans, both big men. Imagine what this would do for the city if it brought a winning basketball team to The Big Easy.

Charlotte: No better way for the NBA to show its opposition to discrimination than by giving the win to the city that passed the original bathroom law.

Detroit: There would be no greater metaphor for the rebirth of motor city. The NBA would gain influence in a city that could undergo an urban renaissance.

Denver: See Minnesota, minus the uniforms.

Miami: Pat Riley. Also, Mickey Arison has promised Adam Silver free cruises for life if they get the pick.

Mike
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 02:18:45 PM by mef730 »

Re: Proof that the lottery is fixed
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 01:08:35 PM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
*Tommy Heinsohn sigh*

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 01:16:10 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
This is excellent work. At this point the only way the NBA can prove it's not rigged is for no one to win the lottery, and all prospects fired into the sun.

Or for us to win, but we all know that's not gonna happen.

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 01:42:54 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
love it Mef -- TP

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 01:48:56 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I was coming here, "I don't think you know what proof means" joke in hand, ready to tear apart some lazy half baked homer post, and then imagine my surprise when I found this gem of a post. Great work.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 01:54:23 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I watched the Ewing video somewhere before and that convinced me they were all fixed

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 01:54:36 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Definitely a solid read.  Well done.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 02:00:48 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Lol TP.

This reminded me of last year's lottery when the picks played out exactly by the percentages, and some posters still claimed it was rigged lol

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 02:05:54 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
There's a sportswriter who puts out a similar "lottery's rigged" article every year where he "proves" that every team's odds of winning the lottery are 100%, and links back to his previous year's blurb on the team that wound up winning to show his predictions are always accurate. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I can't find it with a quick Googling.

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 02:15:45 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
There's a sportswriter who puts out a similar "lottery's rigged" article every year where he "proves" that every team's odds of winning the lottery are 100%, and links back to his previous year's blurb on the team that wound up winning to show his predictions are always accurate. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I can't find it with a quick Googling.

Is this what you're looking for?

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2014/05/20/2014-nba-lottery-is-100-percent-fixed/

Mike

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 02:20:57 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

Is this what you're looking for?

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2014/05/20/2014-nba-lottery-is-100-percent-fixed/

Mike

That's exactly it, thanks! Can't find any after 2015, wonder if he stopped writing them.

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 02:55:44 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
This is excellent work. At this point the only way the NBA can prove it's not rigged is for no one to win the lottery, and all prospects fired into the sun.

Or for us to win, but we all know that's not gonna happen.
giggles
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 03:47:51 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
In a sad sort of way OP's post has substance to it.

However - I'm rolling with my ESPN Draft Lottery game results from a few days ago.

We got the 1st or 2nd pick 13 times out of 18 tries. I'll live with that.

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 03:51:12 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker

However - I'm rolling with my ESPN Draft Lottery game results from a few days ago.

I resent the implication that I write anything of substance. I have over 2,000 posts on CB; how could I possibly have time to do anything of substance?

Mike

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2017, 03:54:32 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

I resent the implication that I write anything of substance. I have over 2,000 posts on CB; how could I possibly have time to do anything of substance?

Mike

lol nice.