Author Topic: Draft Lottery Thread (Tuesday May 16)  (Read 7481 times)

Re: Draft Lottery Thread (Tuesday May 16)
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2017, 07:25:23 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Nice that we will literally only have  to deal with 24 hours of devastating sadness if we manage to play and lose Game 7, because the next night is.... THE LOTTERY!!!!!!!!!

Oh mighty Basketball Gods, oh ghost of Stern, Oh magic and cavalier overlord protectors, take pity on this once impregnable city and grant us the power to slay the Ohioan dragon, and rule this kingdom of the East for generations to come.

Rubick's cube, bubble and hubble and trouble and whatever else... ah [dang it], pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaase?

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2017, 05:13:12 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
we know now who will represent the celtics at the draft. none other than.....

Chris Mannix‏Verified account @ChrisMannixYS 42s43 seconds ago
Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck will represent the Celtics on stage at the draft lottery on Tuesday night, league source tells @TheVertical.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2017, 05:37:56 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Nice that we will literally only have  to deal with 24 hours of devastating sadness if we manage to play and lose Game 7, because the next night is.... THE LOTTERY!!!!!!!!!

Oh mighty Basketball Gods, oh ghost of Stern, Oh magic and cavalier overlord protectors, take pity on this once impregnable city and grant us the power to slay the Ohioan dragon, and rule this kingdom of the East for generations to come.

Rubick's cube, bubble and hubble and trouble and whatever else... ah [dang it], pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaase?

Honestly, whether it's this year, next year, or the year after, to be the first East team to beat LeBron and make the Finals instead of his team, even if it only happens once, would be a satisfying high point of this era, if that's the biggest achievement.

I know that's blasphemous, but I believe it.  Let the Celts be the team to end LeBron's Finals streak and I'll be happy.

After all, the Celts were the last team in the East to make the Finals without LeBron.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2017, 06:06:24 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck will represent the Celtics on stage at the draft lottery on Tuesday night, league source tells @TheVertical.

Such a wasted opportunity not to have Pierce do it.  He says he wants to retire a Celtic, what better way to go out a Celtic.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2017, 06:11:33 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Such a wasted opportunity not to have Pierce do it.  He says he wants to retire a Celtic, what better way to go out a Celtic.

He's technically still under contract with LA, if I'm not mistaken.  It's not impossible his partially guaranteed contract gets used in a trade, so doing promo stints with the Celtics probably isn't permissible this year.  But next year, you're totally right, he should be there.

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2017, 06:29:34 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

He's technically still under contract with LA, if I'm not mistaken.  It's not impossible his partially guaranteed contract gets used in a trade, so doing promo stints with the Celtics probably isn't permissible this year.  But next year, you're totally right, he should be there.

You are not mistaken. In fact, it was only a few days ago that he was playing for the Clippers. He can't represent another team being under contract with them, and we can't trade for him.

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2017, 07:54:48 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

You are not mistaken. In fact, it was only a few days ago that he was playing for the Clippers. He can't represent another team being under contract with them, and we can't trade for him.

I don't think this is really a contract issue though.  Unless you can tell me which part of his contract you think this would violate.  Also for this to be an issue, I think the Clippers would have to have a problem with it.  And at this point they can buy out the rest of Pierce's contract at any time if it were a problem that needed to be avoided.

Also it's not unheard of for players to help do stuff for other teams.  Here's Robin Lopez doing a bit for the Hawks while under contract with the Blazers.  And here's Nate Robinson under contract with the Knicks helping Gerald Green of the Celtics in the dunk contest.  I feel like Pierce representing the C's this year would be as controversial as one of those.

Lets not get it twisted like representing a team at the lottery is some official team function that the representative can actually impact.  There's kids and family members representing teams at the lottery a lot of time.  This is purely ceremonial fluff.

Pierce doesn't need to be under contract with the C's to do this, and I doubt his Clippers contract prevents him from appearing on tv in a non-Clipper capacity (kind of like he just appeared on tv as part of a Celtics reunion).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class