Author Topic: NBA Playoffs 2017 (Thread)  (Read 77504 times)

Re: NBA Playoffs 2017 (Thread)
« Reply #645 on: May 08, 2017, 07:40:15 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
http://deadspin.com/what-happens-to-kyle-lowry-now-1795022925?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Pretty good time for the Spurs to lose Parker and need an upgrade, huh? This summer Paul, Lowry, Hill, and Holiday will all be free agent point guards that are likely good fits in San Antonio.

With Lowry's comments about Lebron being unbeatable and him wanting a ring above all, I could really see him taking less money and going to the Spurs. Holiday might be a better investment for the Spurs given his age, but right now Lowery is actually a really good fit for the Spurs.

And if Lowry would leave Toronto, I could see Derozan being a major target of LA over George, since they can just try and sign him next summer anyways.
Unless Parker retires and Gasol opts out, the Spurs aren't anywhere close to having enough cap space to get Paul or Lowery. 

they could trade gasol to the nets with a pick
Mills and Simmons are free agents and Dedmon has a small player option so he'll probably opt out.  If they don't resign any of them and dump Gasol via trade, the Spurs would have about 29M in cap space so Paul and Lowry would still be taking significantly less than their MAX. 

We're going to have similar issues creating a max slot but people are still putting us in the convo for the likes of Hayward and Griffin. We've seen crazier things happen and as we saw GS create the space to get Durant, there's a path.

And the Nets make PERFECT sense as a trade partner. They're on the hunt for assets so why not take Gasol with a pick if he opts in? It's not like they own their pick in 2018, so what do they care if he adds a few more wins. Put with Lin and Brook and add a little more entertainment value to your team.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 07:47:31 PM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #646 on: May 08, 2017, 08:09:48 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
And with AB nursing a hip pointer....we are doomed.

Im sad now knowing this might be the end of our season.

I really dont know what to make of our struggles now...I just want to trade Crowder and Smart right about now.

We were never going to beat CLE anyways, I wish I was wrong about that but only the delusional thinks this could happen barring a CAVs bus crash injuring some of their guys.

Ainge said he believes in miracles, and I respect that.   But it is obviously we could use some help in scoring and on the boards during the playoffs.   Boogie would have helped us with both.   I hope his master plan works because CBS is desperate for help.

« Reply #647 on: May 08, 2017, 09:01:29 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
This team has faced a lot of adversity and overcome it. We were down 2 games and they were saying it's almost never happened the comeback 1 seed being down 2 games. Now we're tied and a lot of people again writing off the team.

« Reply #648 on: May 08, 2017, 09:13:15 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
The best thing about these playoffs for the Celtics has been the playoff experience that Brad Stevens is getting. He's like a rookie or 2nd year talented player in the playoffs. They have the talent but will make rookie mistakes and need to be thrown into the fire and struggle before they learn.

He is pretty raw in this setting, and has made some mistakes, as anyone would expect. He is also quickly learning and making adjustments, as evident in the Bulls series. He still has to figure it out in this series against the Wizards, but this is forcing him to think out of his comfort zone and learn on the job. It's going to be of huge value going forward for the future of this team.

« Reply #649 on: May 08, 2017, 09:14:33 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Well, so far so good with the Western playoffs looking to go exactly how we wanted them to go. With LA losing in the first round and Utah getting swept easily in the second round, we should receive legitimate consideration from both Griffin and Hayward. The question is this: which one do we prefer if we have the choice?

« Reply #650 on: May 08, 2017, 09:19:32 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Well, so far so good with the Western playoffs looking to go exactly how we wanted them to go. With LA losing in the first round and Utah getting swept easily in the second round, we should receive legitimate consideration from both Griffin and Hayward. The question is this: which one do we prefer if we have the choice?

Why do you want to take a gamble on Griffin? What is the arguement? He would fit great if healthy. Not sure why take the risk when Hayward is available. He's a big upgrade over Bradley or Crowder. He is also one year younger than Griffin.

« Reply #651 on: May 08, 2017, 09:23:00 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Why do you want to take a gamble on Griffin? What is the arguement? He would fit great if healthy. Not sure why take the risk when Hayward is available. He's a big upgrade over Bradley or Crowder. He is also one year younger than Griffin.

Our priority list should be:

Paul George
Gordon Hayward
Jimmy Butler

If we land 1-2 of those guys, then we go after a mobile , young rebounder/shot blocker to anchor the defense.

« Reply #652 on: May 08, 2017, 09:26:07 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

When healthy, which is a big factor I admit, Griffin is quite a bit better than Hayward.

He also plays a position where we desperately need a starter, where you could easily consider Hayward redundant with AB and Crowder. (And actually, I think both AB and Jae are the perfect type of 3 and D role players to put in between a secondary scorer in Griffin and IT, along with Al.)

Finally, Griffin is an absolute perfect fit offensively with this group, especially with his passing, playmaking, and increased range. Hayward is also a good fit, but we MUST also add a starting 4 alongside him, which is why Griffin might be the better overall choice.

« Reply #653 on: May 08, 2017, 09:59:10 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129

When healthy, which is a big factor I admit, Griffin is quite a bit better than Hayward.

He also plays a position where we desperately need a starter, where you could easily consider Hayward redundant with AB and Crowder. (And actually, I think both AB and Jae are the perfect type of 3 and D role players to put in between a secondary scorer in Griffin and IT, along with Al.)

Finally, Griffin is an absolute perfect fit offensively with this group, especially with his passing, playmaking, and increased range. Hayward is also a good fit, but we MUST also add a starting 4 alongside him, which is why Griffin might be the better overall choice.

I agree he is a better player than Hayward. But I can't see him being healthy imo.

« Reply #654 on: May 08, 2017, 10:09:08 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

I don't think Hayward is redundant. He's a better offensive player than both, gets his own shots, and has better handles and can be a PG if needed. AB was good until get got hurt (again) and Crowder has had one good game. His D has been poor, so you can't really say he's a better defender, stronger, yes, but Hayward moves side to side better.

Yes a healthy Griffin would be ideal and fill a need, butt his health is questionable. Same as AB. Hard to want to pay a guy who gets hurt through out the season.

And we have the Dancing Bear ready to go so who needs Griffin! :P

« Reply #655 on: May 08, 2017, 10:21:57 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

I don't think Hayward is redundant. He's a better offensive player than both, gets his own shots, and has better handles and can be a PG if needed. AB was good until get got hurt (again) and Crowder has had one good game. His D has been poor, so you can't really say he's a better defender, stronger, yes, but Hayward moves side to side better.

Yes a healthy Griffin would be ideal and fill a need, butt his health is questionable. Same as AB. Hard to want to pay a guy who gets hurt through out the season.

And we have the Dancing Bear ready to go so who needs Griffin! :P

I was talking purely about his position being redundant. His skill set certainly isn't, and he's exactly what we need in a secondary scorer. And I'd go as far as saying that with Jae's step back defensively this year, Hayward is just as, if not more, valuable defensively as Jae is anymore.

But the problem still remains - since we'll have to clear almost all of our depth in bigs to get Hayward, we're still left with a major hole in our starting lineup after signing him. That's why I think there's a certain appeal in signing either Griffin or Millsap over Hayward, even given their respective concerns about health and age.

« Reply #656 on: May 08, 2017, 11:12:25 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
The Rockets is also blowing out the Spurs. At least the lost against Washington doesn't look too bad now.

Giving up a 26-0 run after giving up a 22-0 in the previous game, in two straight blowout losses, has no silver lining.

Looks bad no matter the context.

As for Spurs - Rox, I'm pretty sure this is going 7, and I have no idea who is going to win.

As Ryan Bernadoni stated on Twitter, the Leonard-lead, Popovich Spurs have been blown out in two games against the Rockets, similar to the Cs.

A loss is a loss.  Hopefully the Cs care less about the margin than the fans do.

It's not just about the margin, it's how we got there. Nevermind the rebounding disparity because  it's comical at this point, but these last two games have really highlighted 2 concerns I have about this current team:

1.) the Isaiah conundrum. There's no question he's a special offensive player but his defense can take you out of games. They are ATTACKING him defensively right now. Every player he guards goes right into posting him up and he can't hang. Particularly with Washington's starting unit, there's nowhere to hide him defensively. Wall? Lol. Beal? Nope. Otto? Nah. But he's your only offensive threat, so you have to ride with him and hope for the best. Which brings me to...

2.) No consistent offense outside of Isaiah. We have a bunch of jumpshooters who don't really bring anything to the table offensively if they're not hitting 3's. That's a problem. If IT isn't making things happen and guys aren't hitting wide open shots, we have no post presence or secondary shot creator to go to. The closest is Avery Bradley and while he's much improved, Avery cannot be your second best perimeter scorer. You can try to give it to Al in the post, but he wants to - or we're asking him to, I'm not sure - be a jumpshooter too.

I wonder how the Spurs got where they were with their blowouts?

« Reply #657 on: May 08, 2017, 11:17:05 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Who loses first GS or CLE??

« Reply #658 on: May 08, 2017, 11:22:22 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Yup

« Reply #659 on: May 08, 2017, 11:27:30 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
Jazz fans doing their best to try and convince Hayward to stay with a "Gordon Hayward" chant lol