Author Topic: NBA Playoffs 2017 (Thread)  (Read 77548 times)

Re: NBA Playoffs 2017 (Thread)
« Reply #135 on: April 17, 2017, 08:54:24 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
My boy Paul George showing up per usual against the best.

If we had traded for him, we'd be legit contenders. He's carrying that Pacers team all on his own.

This team will have shorter window, though.

Not much shorter, PG3 and IT are not old, they are not like Pierce, KG and Ray when they were put together. Horford is, but he's not the key guy that those 3 where. PG3, IT, and Hayward would get it done for many years with guys like Bradley , Smart and Zizic around them.

A younger core wouldn't have a much longer window either. They would need several years to develop into legit NBA contenders, if that even happens.

Those young core will reach their potential around the age of 22-25. It won't be that long to develop, especially when they don't have to play on a crappy franchise.

Look at the age of many star players today:

Davis - 24
Giannis - 22
Kyrie - 24
Klay was 25 when they won it all
KD was 24 when he won the MVP
Lebron was 24 when he won his first MVP
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 09:02:30 PM by mr. dee »

« Reply #136 on: April 17, 2017, 08:58:32 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I see him carrying them all the way to being swept by Cavs.

As opposed to losing to the Hawks or Bulls?

exactly, he clearly does not move the needle.

« Reply #137 on: April 17, 2017, 09:02:07 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
The main problem with PG13 trades is that he's an expiring.

Zero chance Boston trades for him unless he agrees to a long term commitment (highly unlikely).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #138 on: April 17, 2017, 10:09:38 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
So Cavs defended home court. Now their playoff series really begin.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #139 on: April 17, 2017, 10:25:22 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
If they lose this game at home and with Gobert out? Wow. Talk about choking.

The Clippers have had so many excuses over the years but the reality is they're just not a great team.  A very good team but if they had gotten a few breaks over the years, they just would have lost to LeBron in the Finals.  The fundamental problem is they overvalued Jordan and that affected every other decision they've made constructing their roster.  They've acted like he's their third superstar but he's really not. 

Mike

He was an All-Star this year.

Know who else has been an All-Star?  Tyson Chandler, Chris Kaman, Jamaal Magloire, Mehmet Okur and Theo Ratliff.  That's where Jordan belongs.  He's not in that top tier with guys like Shaq or Patrick Ewing.  He's not even in the second tier with guys like Alonzo Mourning or Rik Smits.

He's in that third tier, but the Clippers have paid him and built their team like he's lock for the hall of fame.

Mike

He is an All-Star and is paid like an All-Star.  Picking the worst big-men All-Stars you can find and saying "see" is not a debate.  And no one is saying DJ is Shaq.

The Clippers problem is that Blake Griffin is no longer a dominant player.

4.  I could go into more detail on the salary cap and on court problems that flow from treating Jordan like he's a lot better than he is, but I get the sense you are committed to deliberately not understanding any of them.

Mike

Please do. Seriously, state your case Mike because I think you have no idea what you are talking about right now.

I would love to see you justify this point considering they were already over the cap when they re-signed him which means it was give him the money or... don't. There was no alternative, it was give DeAndre the money or don't spend it at all. That isn't money you can then spend on other players.

He's an offensive force, a phenomenal rebounder, plays within himself, and is a mobile shot blocker. He's a very good player, being paid like a very good player. Artificial max contracts mean that guys worth 80 million get paid 25, guys worth 50 get paid 25, and guys worth 25 get paid 25. (those are estimates, but you get the point in terms of the max contract's impact). DeAndre gets paid what he is worth, he probably does not exceed that much but he's not overpaid by any stretch.

Doc giving away draft picks, trading for guys who had a good game against him once, dumping Bledsoe cuz reasons, getting bamboozled into taking his son because Ainge was D League-ing him, and generally not having any idea how to run a franchise are why they are where they are.

« Reply #140 on: April 17, 2017, 10:29:33 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I see him carrying them all the way to being swept by Cavs.

As opposed to losing to the Hawks or Bulls?

exactly, he clearly does not move the needle.

I don't think you get it, but that's ok.

« Reply #141 on: April 18, 2017, 12:13:51 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Kawhi made history and went 19-19 from free throw tonight

« Reply #142 on: April 18, 2017, 12:25:57 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
The Grizz are cooked and need to blow it up. They will never win with that offense

And that Chandler Parsons contract... good god...

« Reply #143 on: April 18, 2017, 12:37:02 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
The Grizz are cooked and need to blow it up. They will never win with that offense

Don't tell that to Clueless Chris Vernon.

He still thinks they should chug along as a fringe playoff team.

« Reply #144 on: April 18, 2017, 12:44:45 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

Not yet. We can't convey their pick if the team becomes very bad.

« Reply #145 on: April 18, 2017, 04:07:44 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

When The Ringer's NBA podcast picked up Chris Vernon, I was really interested in a "Hey, who's this guy?" way, but after a few weeks I had to stop listening. I can't stand his obnoxious radio voice and I don't think I ever heard him give an interesting, original insight.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #146 on: April 18, 2017, 06:46:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
You can't underestimate how much the city of Memphis loves that "Grit 'N Grind" team after the Grizz were a joke for most of their existence.

They've got Conley and Gasol, and as long as they have those two, they'll be a competitive team for at least another 3-4 seasons.

It may not make sense to fans of Boston-area teams, but in some markets being competitive and likable year after year carries a lot of value.

Same analysis applies to the Hawks, though they're obviously not nearly as beloved in Atlanta.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #147 on: April 19, 2017, 10:46:00 PM »

Offline dwlefty13

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 3
No Durant tonight for GS, does Portland have a chance to tie it up?
Let's Go Celtics!!

« Reply #148 on: April 19, 2017, 10:57:30 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

When The Ringer's NBA podcast picked up Chris Vernon, I was really interested in a "Hey, who's this guy?" way, but after a few weeks I had to stop listening. I can't stand his obnoxious radio voice and I don't think I ever heard him give an interesting, original insight.
"Well whaddaya think Kevin is it over for the Celts?"

So that's his name omg that guy is so annoying lol
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #149 on: April 19, 2017, 11:16:18 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Russell Westbrook just took another stat sheet dump with 51 points on 43 shots . To put that in perspective King chucker himself Kobe Bryant only took 46 shot when he scored 81 points!

I don't care what people say about how bad his teammates are, look what Heat did with ball movement and a D-League roster...I pray that people haven't fallen for his rubbish in the MVP vote.