Author Topic: Anyone Think Isaiah Might Take Another Declining Deal?  (Read 3285 times)

Anyone Think Isaiah Might Take Another Declining Deal?
« on: April 11, 2017, 08:24:09 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I know Isaiah is going to want to get paid when he's up for free agency in a year and I think he deserves to get paid but I also don't want to be the team that has $40 million tied up in a 33 year old PG who's still a 5'7" defensive liability. Could he be talked into a declining deal?

Pay him his $30 mil in the first year of his contract, then $28, $26, $24, $22.

If another team offers him max (I'm still not sure that'll happen) the Celtics' ability to offer the security of a 5th year might mean something.

The kind of contract the Celtics are willing to offer will depend on what happens this summer (and next season) but does anyone think IT would agree to something like this? It's not something we commonly see for all star types.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: Anyone Think Isaiah Might Take Another Declining Deal?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 08:28:50 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Barring injury, he will be offered the max. That includes raises.  I simply don't understand why people here can't see his worth.  He's a legit great player.

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 08:34:37 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Barring injury, he will be offered the max. That includes raises.  I simply don't understand why people here can't see his worth.  He's a legit great player.

I know, right.

I can't help but wonder, do people on the Washington boards argue about whether John Wall is a max player? Do people in Chicago argue about Butler? In Toronto about DeRozan? Indiana, about George?

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 08:34:53 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

But will he be in 4 years?

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 08:37:29 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Why not? 

He's durable.  Drains 3's at a high rate.  Knows how to handle without turning over.

Being short isn't something that gets worse with age...

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 08:41:19 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
He really is, and this team would be a borderline lottery team without him. And 32 years old really isnt that old at the end of his next contract.

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 08:43:00 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

I know, right.

I can't help but wonder, do people on the Washington boards argue about whether John Wall is a max player? Do people in Chicago argue about Butler? In Toronto about DeRozan? Indiana, about George?

I mean, all of those guys are both A) good size for their position and not historically undersized like IT, and B) outside of Derozan, elite two-way players at their position. That's not really a fair (or accurate) analogy.

It's not crazy to be worried about offering a max long-term deal to a historically undersized 5'9" point guard who is probably the league's worst guard defender and relies heavily on his speed to be effective. Once IT loses his speed, he's more than likely not an NBA level player. He's just too small. And he'll be coming up on that threshold toward the end of a max contract that we'd offer.

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 08:45:51 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
It's not about his worth, it's about what teams are willing to pay for him in a league flush with PG's, and a stabilizing salary cap that's going to make it harder for teams to offer max deals at all.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 08:46:44 PM »

Offline dwlefty13

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 3
My hypothesis: Isaiah will take the max for three years with an opt-out after two years. Essentially giving him three additional years (last year current contract plus new contract). When he opts out he will be 31 years old, still in his prime and can maximize his pay one last time, with the Celtics or elsewhere.

Just my two cents.
Let's Go Celtics!!

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 09:01:23 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Rutgers '17
It's not about his worth, it's about what teams are willing to pay for him in a league flush with PG's, and a stabilizing salary cap that's going to make it harder for teams to offer max deals at all.
I'd argue that there aren't any PG's out there that have comparable skill level to that of IT; after all, IT is 2nd in the league in scoring. Of the ones available in FA, Jrue is the best, and he is not even close to being in Isaiah's league

For reference, Carmelo/Harden have never averaged more points than IT currently is. KD has only surpassed that number twice in his career, Lebron only 3 times.

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 09:07:42 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
I'd argue that there aren't any PG's out there that have comparable skill level to that of IT; after all, IT is 2nd in the league in scoring. Of the ones available in FA, Jrue is the best, and he is not even close to being in Isaiah's league

For reference, Carmelo/Harden have never averaged more points than IT currently is. KD has only surpassed that number twice in his career, Lebron only 3 times.
IT is great. What he's doing now is worthy of a max contract, no question. But how many teams are going to have max space in a year? How many of those teams will have an opening for a PG? Of teams that meet both those criteria, how many will want to spend that kind of money on a player with IT's deficiencies at his age (he'll be 29 when he signs his next deal)?

And all of this is up in the air if his 2018 season looks like more his 2016 season, than his 2017.

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 09:14:22 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Rutgers '17

IT is great. What he's doing now is worthy of a max contract, no question. But how many teams are going to have max space in a year? How many of those teams will have an opening for a PG? Of teams that meet both those criteria, how many will want to spend that kind of money on a player with IT's deficiencies at his age (he'll be 29 when he signs his next deal)?

And all of this is up in the air if his 2018 season looks like more his 2016 season, than his 2017.
Just looking the cap and teams with adequate cap space, Nets, Knicks, Sac, Indy, Brooklyn, Dallas, and Philly could all use IT.

and IT is still going to be 28 when he signs his next deal, he just turned 28

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 09:22:03 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
If we don't pay him the max, someone else will.

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 09:55:36 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

Just looking the cap and teams with adequate cap space, Nets, Knicks, Sac, Indy, Brooklyn, Dallas, and Philly could all use IT.

and IT is still going to be 28 when he signs his next deal, he just turned 28
And since he'll sign his next deal over a year from now, he'll be 29.

Those teams need a PG now but how many of them will have max room in summer '18? Who will still need a PG after this summer? Teams like Sacramento and Philly might need a PG but would unlikely want to sign a 29 year old given their stage of rebuild.

He might have suitors. We agree that he's an amazing talent and worthy of a max deal. But the teams that might have the ability and desire to spend that money on a player of his size, age, and limitation whittles down awfully fast.

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 10:09:32 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

Why not? 

He's durable.  Drains 3's at a high rate.  Knows how to handle without turning over.

Being short isn't something that gets worse with age...

Handle without turning over... well' I'm not sure.
Short is something that ALWAYS gets worse with age because you rely on first step and speed.

Not the best argument.