Author Topic: I wish we had a legitimate bench right about now.  (Read 4697 times)

Re: I wish we had a legitimate bench right about now.
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2017, 07:10:10 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
To be fair to Danny, his intended spark off the bench became an all-star. I would love to take a swing at Mclemore this offseason

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2017, 07:13:24 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
We don't have so bad bench as many are saying. Suppose our starting five is the usual one. Bench:

Smart: A stopper, changing games with clutch defensive plays and now buries open threes.
Rozier: Physical guy with offensive flashes, gaining valuable experience right now.
Brown: He is a rookie, mistaken-prone and learning that playoffs are a different game.
Gerald: Can score 20 points in 15 minutes. Not many bench players can do that.
Jerebko: Good defender, physically strong and tough rebounder.
Olynyk: I'm usually frustrated with him, soft, foul prone. But also good shooter and savvy plays.

I'm not considering Zeller, Jackson, Young, Mickey for obvious reasons. But this is not a bad team. Also, they've shown they have a big heart rebounding from 0-2 at home and helping the star teammate in a personal heartbreaking disgrace.

What's more, Danny Ainge hasn't sacrificed any SINGLE asset to get a rental for a couple of months, and the main goal has been achieved: Going into the second round after being top seed in the East. This leads to the goal, being a premium destination for the best free agents in July: Hayward, Griffin, Millsap (and, why not, a try on Durant or Curry if thinks explode in the Bay).

I'm already happy with the season, regardless of the next series.

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2017, 08:06:23 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
We don't have so bad bench as many are saying. Suppose our starting five is the usual one. Bench:

Smart: A stopper, changing games with clutch defensive plays and now buries open threes.
Rozier: Physical guy with offensive flashes, gaining valuable experience right now.
Brown: He is a rookie, mistaken-prone and learning that playoffs are a different game.
Gerald: Can score 20 points in 15 minutes. Not many bench players can do that.
Jerebko: Good defender, physically strong and tough rebounder.
Olynyk: I'm usually frustrated with him, soft, foul prone. But also good shooter and savvy plays.

I'm not considering Zeller, Jackson, Young, Mickey for obvious reasons. But this is not a bad team. Also, they've shown they have a big heart rebounding from 0-2 at home and helping the star teammate in a personal heartbreaking disgrace.

What's more, Danny Ainge hasn't sacrificed any SINGLE asset to get a rental for a couple of months, and the main goal has been achieved: Going into the second round after being top seed in the East. This leads to the goal, being a premium destination for the best free agents in July: Hayward, Griffin, Millsap (and, why not, a try on Durant or Curry if thinks explode in the Bay).

I'm already happy with the season, regardless of the next series.
Brown is not part of the playoff rotation.  We saw the 2nd unit -- Smart, Rozier, Green, Jerebko, Olynyk -- for extended minutes in the 4th quarter, and this is the group that extended the lead in the 2nd quarter (perhaps one starter was in there too?).

The issue with this group is that if Rozier/Olynyk are not hitting their shots, they struggle to put the ball in the hole.

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2017, 08:29:55 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
I included Brown because he was in the rotation in the beginning of postseason and may play some minutes with a bigger team such as the Wizards.

To clarify my post, @surferdad (I understand and share your reply).

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2017, 08:45:21 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Rozier has shown in two straight playoff performances that he is ready for prime time (or at least prime back-up minutes). He was unable to get past the four guys playing in front of him during the regular season, but is showing why he isn't just another throw-away bench player. Frankly, a debate could be had right now about Jaylen vs Rozier for the future.

And speaking of Jaylen, I REALLY hope  he can earn some minutes in the next series. Having a promising young rookie is wonderful, but not if he isn't good enough to play in the playoffs.

As others have said, Smart and KO have solidified themselves as very good bench players and are on their third year of playoffs.