Author Topic: I wish we had a legitimate bench right about now.  (Read 4734 times)

Re: I wish we had a legitimate bench right about now.
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2017, 03:14:48 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Your top bench guys on this team are Smart, Olynyk, Brown, Jerebko, and Green. That's not an elite 2nd unit, but I certainly don't see it as weak compared to the rest of the league.

The issue I see with that bench, apart from the lack of a potent scoring option you mentioned, is the lack of experience. 

Most teams that go deep into the playoffs have better veterans to rely on than Gerald Green and Jonas Jerebko.

The Celts are lacking that veteran bench guy who has been deep in the playoffs before and has a history of stepping up in a big moment.  Most really good teams have more than one such player.

Yes. Examples being Kyle Korver and Deron Williams, or even Richard Jefferson and Iman Shumpert.

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2017, 03:42:18 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Danny didn't anticipate this, or he might have done more at the trade deadline. They are doing remarkably well considering their weaknesses in scoring and defense up front.

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2017, 03:58:11 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Danny has always valued a spark plug off the bench, and yeah, it's missing from this team. I think he was hoping that Rozier or maybe Green could fill that role, but they have both been bad. Overall our bench is solid, though. I imagine that IT will play more minutes in the playoffs and it will look like a secondary issue.

I think the two bench pieces we're missing are a sparkplug / shot creator as you say, and also a tough guy / energy big.  Somebody 6'10+ who mixes it up inside on both ends.  Smart provides a bit of that, but there's only so much a guard can do to bring a physical tone to the game.

Will Barton is a nice example of the first.  Kyle O'Quinn is an example of the second.

I agree. It's too bad Zeller regressed so much since his first season with us.

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2017, 03:59:54 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Your top bench guys on this team are Smart, Olynyk, Brown, Jerebko, and Green. That's not an elite 2nd unit, but I certainly don't see it as weak compared to the rest of the league.

The issue I see with that bench, apart from the lack of a potent scoring option you mentioned, is the lack of experience. 

Most teams that go deep into the playoffs have better veterans to rely on than Gerald Green and Jonas Jerebko.

The Celts are lacking that veteran bench guy who has been deep in the playoffs before and has a history of stepping up in a big moment.  Most really good teams have more than one such player.

Yes. Examples being Kyle Korver and Deron Williams, or even Richard Jefferson and Iman Shumpert.

And here I was thinking of Shaun Livingston, Andre Iguodala, and David West.

;D
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2017, 04:03:14 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

And it's about as good as Cleveland's bench and better than Golden State's (though Iggy's better than any of our guys). Probably a bit behind the Spurs but not that far. Meaning what separates us from the real contenders isn't the quality of our bench as much as the quality of our starters.

D-Will, Shump, Korver, R-Jeff, Frye

Livingston, Clark, Iggy, West, McGee

Smart, Brown, Olynyk, Jerebko, Green

I think there's a fairly marked difference in offensive polish and playoff experience.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2017, 04:03:49 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

And here I was thinking of Shaun Livingston, Andre Iguodala, and David West.

;D

I can see PJ Tucker being helpful to Toronto.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 06:25:19 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2017, 04:31:07 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

And it's about as good as Cleveland's bench and better than Golden State's (though Iggy's better than any of our guys). Probably a bit behind the Spurs but not that far. Meaning what separates us from the real contenders isn't the quality of our bench as much as the quality of our starters.

I think there's a fairly marked difference in offensive polish and playoff experience.

I'm with you. TP.

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2017, 04:51:04 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Fultz. Ball. Tatum. Jackson

We will have a 6th man next year.

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2017, 05:02:01 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I pointed out the bench might be too young in the off season to help get this team deep into the playoffs. Still looks that way. KO and Smart have yet to become good and consistent enough contributors. Too many bad performances. Even the starters, AJ and AB are also lacking at times. C's are toast in ECF regardless without elite talent so I guess it doesn't matter much what the bench looks like.

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2017, 05:02:54 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

We will have a 6th man next year.

Maybe they are already on the team, too, and when we upgrade our talent....

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2017, 07:14:10 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

That Cleveland bench has been terrible of late.  Golden state's is stacked.

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2017, 08:08:13 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Offensively the bench definitely struggles. Our bench is 27th in FG% and 25th in 3PT%.

Defensively, our bench is 12th in FG% allowed, but is #1 in 3PT% given up.

I think a lot of this is the pairing of Smart and Rozier, which simply does not work.  Then you plug in Olynyk and Jerebko together on top of them and you have no "theme" to the unit.  Are they defensively oriented?  Offensively gifted?  Big?  Quick?  No, they are none of that because it is all a mess.

I think it's gotta be Smart-Brown-Olynyk in the playoffs, with Jerebko filling in spots, and Rozier there if there is foul trouble or injury to a guard.

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2017, 08:53:20 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Offensively the bench definitely struggles. Our bench is 27th in FG% and 25th in 3PT%.

Defensively, our bench is 12th in FG% allowed, but is #1 in 3PT% given up.

I think it's gotta be Smart-Brown-Olynyk in the playoffs, with Jerebko filling in spots, and Rozier there if there is foul trouble or injury to a guard.

Yup, short bench, keep them rotated in with the starters.  The "second unit" just doesn't need to exist in the playoffs.

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2017, 05:17:52 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Green's a starter now. How does that shift our bench dynamic. Can Johnson be that muscle man in the post or is he cooked for good?

BTW is there a CBA requirement that all NBA rosters have either a Johnson or a Green on their roster? Totally an aside
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2017, 06:46:08 AM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
Green's a starter now. How does that shift our bench dynamic. Can Johnson be that muscle man in the post or is he cooked for good?

BTW is there a CBA requirement that all NBA rosters have either a Johnson or a Green on their roster? Totally an aside
Johnson got man handled all last series he was Zelleresk in his play. Thats 20 mil DA can take off the books next year for a true stating center. I like Johnson though and hope he contributes the rest of the way.