7 (41.2%)
16-20
0 (0%)
21-25
0 (0%)
26-30
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Where would Zizic go in this draft?  (Read 1785 times)

Where would Zizic go in this draft?
« on: April 11, 2017, 10:41:22 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Considering he reportedly has improved dramatically since last season.

This is what Kevin O'Connor had to say:

The Ringer’s Kevin O’Connor said that Zizic has improved to the point that he would be a top-10 pick in the 2017 draft. “He looks really good,” O’Connor said. “I liked him last year when I first watched him. I thought, ‘Good energy big man. He’ll have a solid career,’ but then the more you watch him, the more you see.

“This year, he’s really taken a step forward. All his strengths look better. All the things he was already good at like screening, rebounding and rim-protection, he looks better. But he’s also starting to flash a little bit of a mid-range jumper, and he’s never had bad mechanics, but now that shot’s starting to fall. So maybe he can be more than that energy big man. Maybe he’s a little bit more dynamic than that.

“If I’m the Celtics, I value him as you’re getting a top-10 pick this year. I think he’d go around nine or 10 in this draft.”

Re: Where would Zizic go in this draft?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 10:56:49 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I don't know where he would go but I think what this illustrates is that college freshman are too young to be able to gauge how good they are.  With Zizic, there has been more opportunity to see him play.  Sometimes that works to make the player look better, sometimes not.  It is not as much that he is now better than the draft class, just that you can be more certain about how good he is.

Drafting is a crap shoot at best.  There is now more of a "book" on Zizic and he is a year older.  The distance between projected floor and ceiling is diminished.  He should be a nice addition to the team next season.

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 10:56:56 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
For perspective, based on their DraftExpress projections, right now O'Connor is essentially slotting Zizic lower than Markkanen (7th), but higher than Jarrett Allen (11th) and Zach Collins (12th).

In a draft devoid of big men, his view doesn't seem all that controversial.

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 10:57:36 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Considering he reportedly has improved dramatically since last season.

This is what Kevin O'Connor had to say:

The Ringer’s Kevin O’Connor said that Zizic has improved to the point that he would be a top-10 pick in the 2017 draft. “He looks really good,” O’Connor said. “I liked him last year when I first watched him. I thought, ‘Good energy big man. He’ll have a solid career,’ but then the more you watch him, the more you see.

“This year, he’s really taken a step forward. All his strengths look better. All the things he was already good at like screening, rebounding and rim-protection, he looks better. But he’s also starting to flash a little bit of a mid-range jumper, and he’s never had bad mechanics, but now that shot’s starting to fall. So maybe he can be more than that energy big man. Maybe he’s a little bit more dynamic than that.

“If I’m the Celtics, I value him as you’re getting a top-10 pick this year. I think he’d go around nine or 10 in this draft.”

not that important, i-m just really glad that we are going to have him next year
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 10:59:27 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
For perspective, based on their DraftExpress projections, right now O'Connor is essentially slotting Zizic lower than Markkanen (7th), but higher than Jarrett Allen (11th) and Zach Collins (12th).

In a draft devoid of big men, his view doesn't seem all that controversial.

To your point, I think Zizic is a better fit than Markkanen. We already have Horford and Olynyk to play stretch 4. Zizic fits a team need.

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 11:12:23 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I think the "punisher of grown men" would go around 12th.

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 11:38:35 AM »

Offline bigal534

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 56
Easily top 10.

From what they have said, some think top 7.

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 11:57:00 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I don't know where he would go but I think what this illustrates is that college freshman are too young to be able to gauge how good they are.  With Zizic, there has been more opportunity to see him play.  Sometimes that works to make the player look better, sometimes not.  It is not as much that he is now better than the draft class, just that you can be more certain about how good he is.

Drafting is a crap shoot at best.  There is now more of a "book" on Zizic and he is a year older.  The distance between projected floor and ceiling is diminished.  He should be a nice addition to the team next season.

Agreed. Case in point: James Young.

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 12:16:27 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
In that 8-12 range

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 12:18:38 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
I guess 7th
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier