Author Topic: help prevent a crime: post here to support correct MVP choice  (Read 12340 times)

Re: help prevent a crime: post here to support correct MVP choice
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2017, 04:32:03 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I guess I'm just missing the boat here on where its egregious if Westbrook wins the MVP?  I certainly don't think it'd go down as one of more controversial MVPs in league history.    Some people are really getting their panties in a bunch about this possibility.

(And its probably not a question of "if, it's "when")

The sort-of paradox is that among the 3 guys likely to get it, there are no bad choices, but they're all bad omissions. Meaning whoever wins will deserve it for his incredible season, but the two guys who don't will be terrible snubs for THEIR incredible seasons, if that makes any sense. Especially Harden/Westbrook.

The NBA picked the right year to switch the awards to a end-of-year ceremony, I'll say that.

If the Thunder get bounced in 4-5 games in the 1st round, Westbrook winning MVP sometime in June will have a slightly different tone than if they handed out the award before the playoffs started.

I agree but I think MVP generally went out midway through the 2nd round - I remember a very somber Dirk collecting his after his 1 seed Mavs had been bounced by Golden State.

« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2017, 04:37:04 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
My personal nod is to Russell Westbrook.

He took that team on his back after Durant left and did his absolute best to keep it competitive - even giving Sam Presti 2-3 years to get players around him to make the team better.

He had every opportunity to leave - right along with Durant - but chose to stay. In doing so he's had one of the best seasons of ANY NBA player in recent memory.

47-35 is nothing to sneeze at. Their record could've been 50+ wins if not for Kanter getting injured. His productive play off the bench could've netted them 5 or so more wins if he was not injured.

I love the season that Harden has had but Westbrook gets my intangibles vote. He's my choice for NBA MVP.

« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2017, 04:38:29 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I guess I'm just missing the boat here on where its egregious if Westbrook wins the MVP?  I certainly don't think it'd go down as one of more controversial MVPs in league history.    Some people are really getting their panties in a bunch about this possibility.

(And its probably not a question of "if, it's "when")

The sort-of paradox is that among the 3 guys likely to get it, there are no bad choices, but they're all bad omissions. Meaning whoever wins will deserve it for his incredible season, but the two guys who don't will be terrible snubs for THEIR incredible seasons, if that makes any sense. Especially Harden/Westbrook.

The NBA picked the right year to switch the awards to a end-of-year ceremony, I'll say that.

If the Thunder get bounced in 4-5 games in the 1st round, Westbrook winning MVP sometime in June will have a slightly different tone than if they handed out the award before the playoffs started.

I agree but I think MVP generally went out midway through the 2nd round - I remember a very somber Dirk collecting his after his 1 seed Mavs had been bounced by Golden State.

Different tone?  Probably.  Uproar in the long run?  Doubtful.

Personally, if there was a year to split it, I'd have no qualms with it going Westbrook/Harden.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2017, 05:22:54 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Based on ESPN, I think we can assume awards will look like this:

Embiid ROY
Dantoni COY
Draymond DPOY
Giannis MIP
Westbrook MVP
Iggy / Gordon 6MOY

Will be interesting to see that MVP presentation in June after the Thunder are killed in round one and the Warriors dominate the league for a couple months.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 08:02:31 PM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2017, 09:54:50 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Based on ESPN, I think we can assume awards will look like this:

Embiid ROY
Dantoni COY
Draymond DPOY
Giannis MIP
Westbrook MVP
Iggy / Gordon 6MOY

Will be interesting to see that MVP presentation in June after the Thunder are killed in round one and the Warriors dominate the league for a couple months.

It's entirely possible that Russell Westbrook will consider that a moral victory.

« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2017, 10:10:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Serious question for people -- how much should we care about guards getting rebounds?

Because honestly, does it help your team that much if your guard grabs the rebound?  How much value is it bringing to the team for Harden or Westbrook to grab the rebound as opposed to Steven Adams or Clint Capela?

If we take rebounds out of the equation and just look at offensive creation -- which, I think it's fair to say, is the role guys like Harden and Westbrook are performing first and foremost -- I feel like it's harder to make a case for Westbrook, other than resorting to the "he has less help" thing.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2017, 01:13:49 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
OKC without RW a slightly below average kind of team ? seriously????

Anyway for me is more important that Harden has around him players that fit his game That is not the case with Westbrook

Nonsense, his team covers him on the reg when he gives selfish, embarrassing effort on defense.

« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2017, 02:58:59 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
While harden"s teammates don"t do the same ...
And in addition they space the floor so can play one on one and either score on the rim or pick an assist if double teamed.

BTW it is funny to talk about insufficient def effort of a PG in a celtics forum this  season

« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2017, 03:24:04 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
And in addition they space the floor so can play one on one and either score on the rim or pick an assist if double teamed.

BTW it is funny to talk about insufficient def effort of a PG in a celtics forum this  season

You think Harden's teammates cover him on defense? Come on.

Now they are better offensive players, though it's funny how all of a sudden Eric Gordon and Ryan Anderson are world beaters when they flopped in NO with AD.

It's almost like they have a PG who, gasp, actually makes his teammates better.

« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2017, 05:00:33 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Now they are better offensive players, though it's funny how all of a sudden Eric Gordon and Ryan Anderson are world beaters when they flopped in NO with AD.

Pat Beverley?  ;)

« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2017, 07:38:42 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Bill Simmons:

I’m not voting for Westbrook, either. Was Russ the FUN pick? Absolutely. Did he own the season? Absolutely — he won Question No. 4. But he wasn’t playing for the 2001 Sixers; he didn’t have to do absolutely everything at the expense of never developing/nurturing/testing anyone else.

Remember when we came out of the 2016 playoffs raving about how much we liked Steven Adams, Enes Kanter, and Andre Roberson? Why didn’t they get any better? Why wasn’t Adams as devastating in OKC as the Capela-Nene-Harrell trio was for Houston? Why wasn’t Oladipo BETTER on a much better team? Why did they dump Ersan Ilyasova after only three games, and why wasn’t it a bigger deal when he thrived in Philly and Atlanta? Why such a wasted rookie year for Domantas Sabonis?

Everyone acts like Russ is playing with the Washington Generals — he has two top-three lottery picks and three other lottery picks in their playing rotation. Kanter and Oladipo have near-max deals. Adams has a nine-figure deal coming. Ilyasova scored 15 a night on Philadelphia. Those guys sucked? If a superstar guarantees you 45 wins, then Westbrook dragged them to … 47 wins? What?

I loved watching Westbrook this season. Repeat: I loved it. I never imagined we’d see a Big O/triple-double sequel, just like I never imagined that Kobe could average 35 a game, or that Ron Artest could fight an entire section of Pistons fans without getting shanked.

But if it’s down to Harden and Westbrook, and both sides are relatively equal, and we’re voting on offensive impact and team success over everything else and that breakdown comes down to this …

47 wins, 17th-ranked offense, zero chance of winning the title

55 wins, second-ranked offense (10th all time), puncher’s chance of winning the title

… I mean, what are we arguing about? And why the hell did it take me so long? I’m picking James Harden.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2017, 07:50:43 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum

Pat Beverley?  ;)

Compared to Oladipo, Grant, Adams, and Roberson?

That's a top 10 defender at the 2-5 positions...

« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2017, 10:02:26 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
Boy "MVP" Russ sure brought it in the first game of the playoffs...

It's almost like shameless stat padding at the expense of what's good for the team will hurt you in a playoff series against a good opponent. Who knew?!?!

« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2017, 07:15:14 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Harden is the MVP

RW is such a hog... stat padder

Just watch what is going on with rockets vs okc

Harden elevates the Rockets...RW elevates himself

« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2017, 07:40:52 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Harden is the MVP

RW is such a hog... stat padder

Just watch what is going on with rockets vs okc

Harden elevates the Rockets...RW elevates himself
Westbrook was +11 last night. Harden was +3. Who was more valuable?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip