Author Topic: help prevent a crime: post here to support correct MVP choice  (Read 12342 times)

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Russell Westbrook should be MVP.  Help make it happen by posting support here.

if enough fans support him around the league I thought it might help to keep voters from
flubbing an easy call.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 11:43:33 PM by wiley »

Re: help prevent a crime: post here to support correct MVP choice
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 11:55:26 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
yeah, Id give it to Harden, Leonard and Lebron all over him.

Hes right there with Isaiah for 4th in my book tho
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 01:20:50 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Most Productive Player is not the same as Most Valuable Player.

Westbrook has had the most impressive season from a pure counting statistics perspective, but I don't think he's even close to the best or most impactful player from a winning standpoint.

I'd rank him behind LeBron, Curry, Kawhi, Durant, and Harden if we're just ranking who's best in a vacuum.  In terms of who has had the best regular season, I think Harden and Kawhi are both ahead of him if you care about defense and whose team is best at, you know, winning games.

Look, it's one of the greatest regular seasons of all time.  What's so remarkable about this season is that there are a handful of all-time great seasons by some of the top players in the league.

As I argued in another thread, I'd give it to Harden.  A couple rebounds a game should not be the deciding factor here.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 02:15:37 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I think Lebron and Harden could do the same thing with more wins but they don't care about getting their own stats as much as WB.

It's cheap and classless the way he's done it.
Team sucks too.

How can you be the most valuable player if your team is barely in the playoffs and could be higher if you hadn't been stat padding all this time?

Garbage award and should be given by players or coaches instead of media.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 02:23:26 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Kawhi or Harden, then Westbrook.
I never had much MVP love for the 1st round bunnies.
I would give WB the most entertaining player award for this fantastic performance,
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 02:33:17 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
thunder's record when WB gets a TD  is something like 35-8(sorry can't find the correct record.

Without him dominating like he does Thunder is nets of the west....

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 02:48:19 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
thunder's record when WB gets a TD  is something like 35-8(sorry can't find the correct record.

In my book MVP isn't about what team would be a bottom feeder without that player. It is about what team has a legit chance to be led to the championship by the MVP.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 02:54:54 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 04:21:06 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

But without Harden the Rockets are fighting on a Sacramento Kings level of terrible too.
Harden more efficient, better record. They crush OKC in 7 game series right?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 04:42:25 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
As a hardcore basketball fan, an MVP is a guy like Lebron, Kawhi, Durant. They represent match up problem on both end of the court and make their teammates better.
I'll consider Harden very close because he can play defense when he really wants to.
You can make a really strong case for MVP Harden as he makes his teammates WAY better.

As a casual fan, an MVP is a big number show guy like Harden, Westbrook, IT.

Different worlds.

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 05:31:49 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff

But without Harden the Rockets are fighting on a Sacramento Kings level of terrible too.

I m pretty sure they won't even need 7 games.

But i am also pretty sure this is the case if the Houston plays without Harden and OKC without Westbrook.

And there is also this
http://www.sbnation.com/2017/3/31/15134562/james-harden-clutch-stats-history-mvp-rockets

I can see the argument that the team success should also be a factor. But WB's season is unique.

And i agree with LGC88.... I too prefer Kawhi type of players , efficient two way players who win games by themselves and you don't even notice it.  But man.... OKC without him is not even a basketball team !

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 06:20:57 AM »

Offline adam8

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54

It is possible but that's not really what the on off court splits say, http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/hardeja01/on-off/2017 the rockets are about 7 points better on offense with harden on the floor and about 5 points better on defense when he is off the floor, so they are only 2 points worse over the course of 100 possessions.

Thunder on the other hand are 11 points better on offense with Westbrook on the floor and 2 points better on defense when he is on the floor, they are 13 points better over 100 possessions with Westbrook in the game.

The rockets average +5.8 a game and without Harden in the game they are still +4.9 so looking at those numbers they would still be a top 5 team. The Thunder average +.8 a game but when Westbrook is not in they are -9.0 per 100 possessions which is almost 2 points worse than the worst team in the league.

Now I am not saying the rockets would still be top four on the west without Harden, but to say Harden has had the impact on winning that Russ has had is ridiculous.
I think Lebron and Harden could do the same thing with more wins but they don't care about getting their own stats as much as WB.

Team sucks too.

How can you be the most valuable player if your team is barely in the playoffs and could be higher if you hadn't been stat padding all this time?

And this the team would have a better record if Russ wasn't doing this? They are historically bad if he doesn't get a triple double and pretty good when he does, no one on that team can score in crunch time but Russ, he is a one man show dragging a team to potentially 48 wins.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 06:42:29 AM by adam8 »

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 06:49:32 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff

Team sucks too.

And this the team would have a better record if Russ wasn't doing this? They are historically bad if he doesn't get a triple double and pretty good when he does, no one on that team can score in crunch time but Russ, he is a one man show dragging a team to potentially a 48 wins.

I don't get that either.....
Not being the MVP is something that we can discuss .... But actually saying that OKC is better without him dominating like he does is ridiculous.

OKC is 32-9 when he gets a TD.
When he doesn't 14-25 .....

He is not just padding stats. He is actually winning games.

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 07:13:56 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
OKC is 32-9 when he gets a TD.
When he doesn't 14-25 .....

An alternate theory:

Maybe because once he's achieved his arbitrary counting stats he can focus on winning, rather than forcing assists and stealing rebounds from teammates?

Whereas, on nights when he hasn't reached arbitrary statistical milestones, he chases those stats, winning be [dang]ed.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 07:23:55 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
I thought about this while writing the previous post... It could be...

But I think his fg% and TO would have taken a huge hit unless when he posts a TD he goes  for something like 80%fg and 0TO....

I doubt he s that efficient

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 07:46:25 AM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
People talking about how bad his team is with him off the court....

Russ was hitting these TD's at the start of the season... Maybe, just maybe, he never gave his team a chance to gel together.  It's hard to build cohesion when you're watching one player doing the hero ball thing. When he's not there, they probably don't know what to do.