Author Topic: If we end up at #2...  (Read 2338 times)

If we end up at #2...
« on: April 10, 2017, 01:43:09 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
...and the lakers end up at #1, what would you be willing to part with to move up to that spot?  The premise is that the lakers might prefer to take Ball and would be willing to trade down a spot.

Now, I know some people may say let them take Ball at #1 and we take Fultz (or Jackson or Tatum).  I just think that Fultz will end up being picked #1 one way or another, even if they lakers make the selection.  Just that they may have more of an incentive to draft Ball than others, and could live with moving down a spot to take a slightly inferior prospect.

Personally, I have Ball as the 4th best prospect and if we did end up at #2 would probably take Jackson or Tatum.  But I would really prefer Fultz and would happily trade our first round pick next year but that may not get it done.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 02:01:36 PM by droopdog7 »

Re: If we end up at #2...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 01:44:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'd stay at #2 and hope the Lakers take Ball #1.

Assuming they take Fultz, I'd have to think about whether I prefer Ball or Jackson.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 01:52:00 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
not worth moving up for Fultz.  Take BPA at #2.  will still get a prime-time prospect and no extra cost.  certainly wouldn't do anything that would help the lakers accumulate assets to expedite their rise from the gutter

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 02:05:01 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
I'd stay at #2 and hope the Lakers take Ball #1.

Assuming they take Fultz, I'd have to think about whether I prefer Ball or Jackson.

Bingo. And I think they just might. I wonder what Magic thinks about Ball.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 02:12:55 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
Does anyone think our #1 pick next year would even be enough if we did want to move up?  I mean, a pick in the 20's is pretty much garbage anyway.  For anyone that does prefer Fultz, this should be an easy decision (even if the preference is a small one).

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 02:13:24 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
I would draft Tatum and declare victory.

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 02:51:19 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I wouldn't give up much to move up one slot in this draft.  Young or Mickey and a second or two.

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 02:57:42 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Lakers pass on Ball ......I just feel it in my bones ....magic Johnson doesn't want that "dummy" sign attached to the first thing he does. Lakers forums are majority  Fultz now , the pulse I'm getting.

I d take Jackson and run like wind .

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 03:24:28 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
By chance, I ran across this article just now.  The opening sort of scares me from a conspiracy standpoint.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/4/10/15231130/nba-mock-draft-2017-los-angeles-lakers-markelle-fultz-lonzo-ball

If the Lakers do land in the top-three, they get to keep both picks.

The future of the league’s premier franchise is directly tied to the whim of ping-pong balls. We know the NBA hates tanking, and the Lakers haven’t done it in spite of their best interests. Will they be rewarded for their competitive spirit?

In this mock draft, they are. The order here was determined by ESPN’s lottery machine, and it landed the Lakers at No. 1 on the first spin.

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 03:27:43 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
By chance, I ran across this article just now.  The opening sort of scares me from a conspiracy standpoint.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/4/10/15231130/nba-mock-draft-2017-los-angeles-lakers-markelle-fultz-lonzo-ball

If the Lakers do land in the top-three, they get to keep both picks.

The future of the league’s premier franchise is directly tied to the whim of ping-pong balls. We know the NBA hates tanking, and the Lakers haven’t done it in spite of their best interests. Will they be rewarded for their competitive spirit?

In this mock draft, they are. The order here was determined by ESPN’s lottery machine, and it landed the Lakers at No. 1 on the first spin.

TBF the Lakers migth still come out on top without a 2017 and later lotto pick.

We have still yet to see what Ingram and Russel can be. They could be their big 2 and build of them in 2-3 years.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 03:36:12 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'd get on the phone and see about moving down a slot or two.

In terms of moving up I'd offer various 2nds, and I'd enter Rozier or Smart into the conversation, and possibly try to expand this thing where maybe we could get Randle for Yab

I'd also entertain some concept of sending them protected ones or something and taking a two back

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 04:34:30 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
not worth moving up for Fultz.  Take BPA at #2.  will still get a prime-time prospect and no extra cost.  certainly wouldn't do anything that would help the lakers accumulate assets to expedite their rise from the gutter

I agree, besides, chances are, Ball would go to LAL and you're sitting in the cat bird seat....
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 04:42:17 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
stay at 2. Draft Jackson, Tatum, or Fultz.

Laugh while our guys develop under the watchful eye of winning NBA vets and theirs develop under Swaggy-P
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 04:48:19 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
stay at 2. Draft Jackson, Tatum, or Fultz.

Laugh while our guys develop under the watchful eye of winning NBA vets and theirs develop under Swaggy-P

I agree, i have to say, having a cancerous locker room and environment can definitely limit the progression of any player...

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 05:27:18 PM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
There will be a lot of pressure on Magic to take Ball at 1.  I would be shocked if he did not.