Author Topic: Chad Ford: 2018 Top 10 Prospects  (Read 13873 times)

Re: Chad Ford: 2018 Top 10 Prospects
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2017, 03:48:10 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I dont know how these kids keep growing or are they measuring differently for different events. Porter was like 6'7 now he is 6'10.  I suspect he is 6'7 without shoes still. Ayton is the guy I'm looking to follow much like Tatum and Jackson last year it's all due to need.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 04:07:19 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2017, 05:05:25 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
I dont know how these kids keep growing or are they measuring differently for different events. Porter was like 6'7 now he is 6'10.  I suspect he is 6'7 without shoes still. Ayton is the guy I'm looking to follow much like Tatum and Jackson last year it's all due to need.
Since they're all 18, it makes sense to me that they'd still have been growing for the last 2 years.

Sounds like if the pick lands outside the top 4, Jaren Jackson has a nice skillset for the modern NBA. Maybe he'll have a good year in college.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2017, 10:19:08 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
There is going to be quite a bit of movement in any ranking right now.  As proof, check out this post from SoSH:

Not relevant to the multi-draft rankings, but as a reference point re: 2018 as a whole... this is how nbadraft.net had the 2017 draft ranked one year ago. Nice for seeing how much movement to expect when discussing Ayton, Doncic, Porter, et al.

http://web.archive.org/web/20160531204659/http://www.nbadraft.net:80/2017mock_draft

1 Josh Jackson
2 Harry Giles
3 Dennis Smith
4 Markelle Fultz
5 Jonathan Isaac
6 DeAaron Fox
7 Frank Ntilikina
8 Jayson Tatum
9 Lonzo Ball
10 Ivan Rabb
11 Isaiah Hartenstein
12 Edmond Sumner
13 Ivica Zubac
14 Rodions Kurucs
15 Ray Smith
16 Jarrett Allen
17 Grayson Allen
18 Frank Jackson
19 Tyler Lydon
20 Terrance Ferguson
21 Bam Adebayo
22 Dwayne Bacon
23 Malik Monk
24 Kobi Simmons
25 Jaron Blossomgame
26 Allonzo Trier
27 Jonathan Jeanne
28 Marques Bolden
29 Rawle Alkins
30 Bennie Boatwright

« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 10:36:50 PM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2017, 10:48:06 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Since they're all 18, it makes sense to me that they'd still have been growing for the last 2 years.

Sounds like if the pick lands outside the top 4, Jaren Jackson has a nice skillset for the modern NBA. Maybe he'll have a good year in college.
Ayton is the guy I'll be watching. He posses and has shown flashes of a Myles Turner type of shooting ability. He's a legit 7' and 250...never lifted weights before. 7'5.5'' wingspan and 9'4.5'' standing reach. He also had verticals of 28.5'' no step and 34.5'' max back in 2015 @ UA camp.

I truly hope BKN trade Lopez for picks before he walks as an UFA in 2018.

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2017, 11:52:08 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Ayton is a really exciting prospect. He's huge and actually has a nice touch of the ball. High bbiq it seems. And Bamba/porter/doncic as consolation prizes aren't bad at all

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2017, 12:17:08 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Porter is explosive, and can shoot it from almost anywhere.

His only real weakness IMO is his handle. He gets a bit out of control ala JB sometimes. Doesn't appear to me to be anything that hard work won't correct.

Ayton just needs to find some post moves so he doesn't turn into Dwight Howard, but he looks like a good enough athlete to do what he wants once he learns the game. There's a nice video of him and Bamba practicing against each other. IMO, Ayton's physically impressive and will grow into his body. He's going to be a beast.

Not as sure about Bamba. He's an impressive athlete for a 7 footer, but I'm pretty sure my arms are bigger than his legs. I have doubts he'll ever fill that frame out, and without adding a lot of muscle, he has no hope on the block against professionals. To me, he's the biggest risk, though undeniably talented.

Doncic, just wow. How can a kid already be this good at basketball? He's a lot more athletic and deceptively quick than he gets credit for, and his handle is incredible for 6'8, and he's got nba range. Literally does everything well. 

My take: if we get one of the top 3 picks, we should all do cartwheels. Everyone cuts the top tier of this draft at 4, but for me it's 3. Bamba has a ways to go to be in the class of the other 3.

On the other hand, no one should be to disappointed if we're picking 8th or so. There's a lot of great prospects like Miles Bridges and Jaren Jackson who might turn into stars for us.

JMO, Danny should treat the BRK 18 pick like gold. It had better take a great offer to pry it away from him.

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2017, 02:07:37 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

His only real weakness IMO is his handle. He gets a bit out of control ala JB sometimes. Doesn't appear to me to be anything that hard work won't correct.

Ayton just needs to find some post moves so he doesn't turn into Dwight Howard, but he looks like a good enough athlete to do what he wants once he learns the game. There's a nice video of him and Bamba practicing against each other. IMO, Ayton's physically impressive and will grow into his body. He's going to be a beast.

Not as sure about Bamba. He's an impressive athlete for a 7 footer, but I'm pretty sure my arms are bigger than his legs. I have doubts he'll ever fill that frame out, and without adding a lot of muscle, he has no hope on the block against professionals. To me, he's the biggest risk, though undeniably talented.

Doncic, just wow. How can a kid already be this good at basketball? He's a lot more athletic and deceptively quick than he gets credit for, and his handle is incredible for 6'8, and he's got nba range. Literally does everything well. 

My take: if we get one of the top 3 picks, we should all do cartwheels. Everyone cuts the top tier of this draft at 4, but for me it's 3. Bamba has a ways to go to be in the class of the other 3.

On the other hand, no one should be to disappointed if we're picking 8th or so. There's a lot of great prospects like Miles Bridges and Jaren Jackson who might turn into stars for us.

JMO, Danny should treat the BRK 18 pick like gold. It had better take a great offer to pry it away from him.
Thing is Bamba is a really smart and hardworking kid. Imo he'll get his stuff right in a year or two, which puts him iver Doncic for me. My top 4 is Porter, Ayton, Bamba and Doncic, which I would he ecstatic if we landed any one of them.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2017, 10:23:39 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
There is going to be quite a bit of movement in any ranking right now.  As proof, check out this post from SoSH:

Not relevant to the multi-draft rankings, but as a reference point re: 2018 as a whole... this is how nbadraft.net had the 2017 draft ranked one year ago. Nice for seeing how much movement to expect when discussing Ayton, Doncic, Porter, et al.

http://web.archive.org/web/20160531204659/http://www.nbadraft.net:80/2017mock_draft

1 Josh Jackson
2 Harry Giles
3 Dennis Smith
4 Markelle Fultz
5 Jonathan Isaac
6 DeAaron Fox
7 Frank Ntilikina
8 Jayson Tatum
9 Lonzo Ball
10 Ivan Rabb
11 Isaiah Hartenstein
12 Edmond Sumner
13 Ivica Zubac
14 Rodions Kurucs
15 Ray Smith
16 Jarrett Allen
17 Grayson Allen
18 Frank Jackson
19 Tyler Lydon
20 Terrance Ferguson
21 Bam Adebayo
22 Dwayne Bacon
23 Malik Monk
24 Kobi Simmons
25 Jaron Blossomgame
26 Allonzo Trier
27 Jonathan Jeanne
28 Marques Bolden
29 Rawle Alkins
30 Bennie Boatwright

That's very interesting.  Thanks for sharing.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2017, 04:58:11 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
True I expect some movement in the rankings

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2017, 09:15:21 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236

1 Josh Jackson
2 Harry Giles
3 Dennis Smith
4 Markelle Fultz
5 Jonathan Isaac
6 DeAaron Fox
7 Frank Ntilikina
8 Jayson Tatum
9 Lonzo Ball
10 Ivan Rabb
11 Isaiah Hartenstein
12 Edmond Sumner
13 Ivica Zubac
14 Rodions Kurucs
15 Ray Smith
16 Jarrett Allen
17 Grayson Allen
18 Frank Jackson
19 Tyler Lydon
20 Terrance Ferguson
21 Bam Adebayo
22 Dwayne Bacon
23 Malik Monk
24 Kobi Simmons
25 Jaron Blossomgame
26 Allonzo Trier
27 Jonathan Jeanne
28 Marques Bolden
29 Rawle Alkins
30 Bennie Boatwright

This is actually a pretty bad year for this exercise. The only huge changes were Giles' knees falling apart and Monk developing into a top pick.

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2017, 11:04:47 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Ayton is a really exciting prospect. He's huge and actually has a nice touch of the ball. High bbiq it seems. And Bamba/porter/doncic as consolation prizes aren't bad at all

IM not sure any of them would be considered consolation prizes. Ayton has not shown himself to be consistent enough at this point to say he is the top pick. I have seen him 7 or 8 times and only once has he put in the effort to say stop what you are doing this guy is a sure fire star. Sean Miller will have to really work with him but the raw talent is certainly there.

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2017, 11:12:18 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

Bamba absolutely deserves to be in the same convo as the 3 you mentioned. There is no reason to think at this point his IQ, defense, and potential shooting ability couldnt make him a stud defensive player.

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2017, 12:08:13 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

3. DeAndre Ayton
Forward/center
Arizona

McDonald's: 8 points, 11 rebounds, 3 steals, on 4-for-10 shooting

Last year Ayton played at the Hoop Summit as a 16-year-old. At the time he was widely considered the top player in his class. A year later, a handful of NBA scouts feel that he might still end up as the best prospect in the draft.

Ayton has a rare combination of athleticism and skill for a big man. He too has the ability to score from everywhere on the floor and plays with quickness that has drawn some scouts to compare him to Kevin Garnett.

He lacks Garnett's toughness and motor, however, and that's why he slid to No. 3 on our board this year. If he has a big season for Arizona, there's a good chance we'll be in a three-man race for the No. 1 pick.

Questionable/Absent Motor = not interested, for me.

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2017, 12:17:58 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

3. DeAndre Ayton
Forward/center
Arizona

Last year Ayton played at the Hoop Summit as a 16-year-old. At the time he was widely considered the top player in his class. A year later, a handful of NBA scouts feel that he might still end up as the best prospect in the draft.

Ayton has a rare combination of athleticism and skill for a big man. He too has the ability to score from everywhere on the floor and plays with quickness that has drawn some scouts to compare him to Kevin Garnett.

He lacks Garnett's toughness and motor, however, and that's why he slid to No. 3 on our board this year. If he has a big season for Arizona, there's a good chance we'll be in a three-man race for the No. 1 pick.

they said the same about Wiggins

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2017, 08:55:07 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

3. DeAndre Ayton
Forward/center
Arizona

they said the same about Wiggins
He scores a lot of points pretty easily, but at this point I don't know if he helps a team win games any more than someone like Ricky Davis.