Author Topic: Analytics guys don't care about the game  (Read 681 times)

Analytics guys don't care about the game
« on: April 10, 2017, 09:04:46 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
This is something I've brought up before in the interminable Hinkie/tanking discussions but Daryl Morey, the Houston GM, just said something incredible on ESPN 2.  While on "Mike and Mike," he suggested eliminating 30 or 40 games from the NBA regular season.  He said that people watch based on competitivesness of the games and how important games are in making the playoffs and seeding, so why not just get rid of a bunch of games that don't really matter.

You know what he didn't mention?  THAT PEOPLE JUST LIKE TO WATCH BASKETBALL AND LOVE WATCHING THEIR FAVORITE TEAM.

Mike

Re: Analytics guys don't care about the game
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 09:08:16 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I'd gladly watch fewer games if they were better played (maybe the refs would be better too.)

Your title notion is ridiculous.

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 09:14:49 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I agree with the OP's sentiment, even if I'm something of an "analytics guy."  For example, I watched a lot of Lakers-TWolves last night.  It was fun to watch Towns and Wiggins both go off the same night.  It was fun when the Lakers fans went crazy whenever Metta World Peace made a shot in the 4th quarter.  It was great watching DeAngelo Russell's 3-point attempt at the buzzer bounce 3-feet in the air off the rim before going through the hoop and winning the game, and the jubilant celebration by the Lakers players after winning made me smile.

Two teams going nowhere played a fun game, and I'm glad it was there to watch.

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 09:29:22 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's hardly analytics to suggest that if there were fewer games, the games would mean more and the ratings might therefore be higher.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 11:04:21 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
It would grow the game among mainstream sports fans and casual fans. I've known this for years. It would be bad for the hardcore fans (and also ironically bad for analytics guys because of smaller sample sizes  :D).

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 11:20:17 AM »

Offline BaronV

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
What Morey said kind of makes sense from the perspective of making the games 'must see'.  I don't watch every basketball or baseball game of the season, because the importance of any one game is minimal, and because, especially with baseball, I can always watch tomorrow.  However, with football, I watch every Pats game either live or DVR'd, as each game is important and there is only one chance per week to watch. 

From the team perspective, playing 2 games per week would lessen the chance of injuries, would allow players more rest between games (limiting the current issue of resting players during games), and would allow more practice time, which should lead to more interesting games both because the teams could practice their playbook more, but also because they would have more time to prep for their next opponent.  On the downside for the team, it would mess up travel schedules.  Currently, a west coast swing might involve 4 games in a week.  But if teams only play 2x/week, that would either mean that the team spends two weeks on the west coast, or they fly back and forth between games. 

It's an interesting idea, but at the end of the day, from the fans' perspective, I think people would like to see more games.

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 11:42:30 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
What does this have to do with analytics?

Another stupid hot take from MBunge.