Poll

Who is your 2017 NBA Rookie of the Year?

Joel Embiid
0 (0%)
Dario Saric
3 (23.1%)
Malcolm Brogdon
7 (53.8%)
Buddy Hield
0 (0%)
Jamal Murray
0 (0%)
Other (please post your selection if you chose other)
3 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Who's Your Choice for 2016-17 NBA Rookie of the Year?  (Read 852 times)

Who's Your Choice for 2016-17 NBA Rookie of the Year?
« on: April 09, 2017, 05:12:14 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
This was an interesting discussion in another thread, so I am curious to see what a poll of Celticsbloggers will chose.

Re: Who's Your Choice for 2016-17 NBA Rookie of the Year?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 05:16:04 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
My choice before the season was Dario Saric, and I think he has earned it.

It is interesting how some preseason favorites like Kris Dunn and Brandon Ingram fell by the wayside long ago, and others like Embiid faded due to injury.

Brogdon has been an incredible surprise, and is a worthy candidate.

I love Jaylen Brown, but he hasn't gotten the playing time and hasn't had the impact like Brogdon to be in consideration imo.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 10:59:55 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 05:17:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Brogdon.

He's had as good a statistical season as anybody from the 2016 draft class, and he's starting for a playoff team.

Saric's counting stats aren't that much better.  While he has really come on since Embiid went out, he's also playing for a crappy team.  His efficiency is fairly poor, also.

I don't think Embiid should win it.  Just didn't play enough games or minutes.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 05:18:06 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Kriss Dunn is precisely why you cant count on a rookie to come in and play a big role.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 05:20:09 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Kriss Dunn is precisely why you cant count on a rookie to come in and play a big role.

In fairness to Dunn, it was understood before the draft that he would be a bit of a project in terms of developing the control to run an NBA offense.

Also, kind of a tough gig for him to come in and (a) try to win the job from a consummate pro and well-rounded guy like Rubio and (b) integrate his ball-dominant game with Towns, Wiggins, and Lavine.

Honestly, it was a fairly poor draft selection by the T-Wolves.  Just not enough touches for a guy like Dunn when the offense is already built around Towns and Wiggins.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 05:25:12 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

In fairness to Dunn, it was understood before the draft that he would be a bit of a project in terms of developing the control to run an NBA offense.

Also, kind of a tough gig for him to come in and (a) try to win the job from a consummate pro and well-rounded guy like Rubio and (b) integrate his ball-dominant game with Towns, Wiggins, and Lavine.

Honestly, it was a fairly poor draft selection by the T-Wolves.  Just not enough touches for a guy like Dunn when the offense is already built around Towns and Wiggins.

They also didn't need Dunn, Rubio is good enough for them going forward. Dunn was a very poor choice for them.

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 05:26:40 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

yeah thats all true, its just that every year we get to the draft and people pencil in like half the first round to come in and start and be good. Cant count on it. Even 22 year old seniors with nba ready bodies and good defense.

I remember last year when I made a "cant count on rookies" post, someone literally replied with "Kris Dunn says hello"

EDIT: fount it.

Quote from: Ilikesports17 link=topic=86659.msg2148988#msg2148988
you simply cannot count on a rookie to come in and be an NBA player. Too big a risk.

Kris Dunn says hi.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 06:05:54 PM by Ilikesports17 »
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 05:27:14 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

They also didn't need Dunn, Rubio is good enough for them going forward. Dunn was a very poor choice for them.

I mean, in today's league I can understand drafting a potential replacement for a guy who has such a poor career shooting efficiency.  Especially if you think that guy was the BPA.  But it was never a good situation for Dunn to look good in year one, and I'm not sure about the fit with Lavine - Wiggins - Towns long term.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 05:28:05 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
Jaylen Brown.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 05:29:10 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Jaylen Brown.

I figured some people would pick Jaylen!

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 05:36:00 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Gotta go with Brogdon. Its a two man race between Saric and Brogdon, and I give it to him because he is also contributing to a playoff team.

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 05:54:15 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
(1) Brogdon
(2) Saric

(3) Embiid