Author Topic: Joel Embiid, Still ROY?  (Read 1544 times)

Joel Embiid, Still ROY?
« on: April 08, 2017, 08:19:06 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Marc Stein has a piece on ESPN saying Embiid is his Rookie of the Year. Brian Windhorst said basically the same on the Lowe Post a few days ago. I can't get behind this.

Embiid will have missed more than 60% of the season. Not being on the floor matters. I don't care how much better Embiid was than the rest of the rookie class, if he wasn't on the court he wasn't helping his team.

Dario Saric has played excellent the last two months and has respectable season averages of 13-6-2 on the season. He's my ROY, easily. 
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: Joel Embiid, Still ROY?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 08:20:58 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I agree. Embiid was exceptional, but he missed too much time this season.

Saric was my prediction for ROY before the season started, and I think he has earned it.

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 08:41:46 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Saric. Embiid didnt play enough
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 08:51:50 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I think he probably will.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 08:56:08 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
He is not a rookie, and he did not play the year. How he becomes ROY is beyond my comprehension.

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 08:57:00 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
He is not a rookie, and he did not play the year. How he becomes ROY is beyond my comprehension.

He is  rookie , he hadn't played in the NBA before this season. That is the definition of a rookie.

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 09:01:03 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

He is  rookie , he hadn't played in the NBA before this season. That is the definition of a rookie.

Even Colleges understand that if you have been on campus for more than a year you are no longer a true freshman albeit you haven't played at all. You are considered a redshirt freshman. Perhaps we should start designating second year rookies from first year rookies. In Embiid's case is he not a third year rookie? His maturity, earnings, and practice experience is superior to those of the true rookies. The NBA can call him a rookie, I just happen to disagree. Last I checked still a free country for that opinion.

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 09:08:48 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Even Colleges understand that if you have been on campus for more than a year you are no longer a true freshman albeit you haven't played at all. You are considered a redshirt freshman. Perhaps we should start designating second year rookies from first year rookies. In Embiid's case is he not a third year rookie? His maturity, earnings, and practice experience is superior to those of the true rookies. The NBA can call him a rookie, I just happen to disagree. Last I checked still a free country for that opinion.

Of course , you're entitled to your opinion, but in terms of actually ROY voting, the NBA rules are the rules and he's a rookie according to those rules.

Myself, I agree with the current rules, if a player has never played an NBA game before, he is a rookie.

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 09:11:00 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Brogdon gets my vote. His insertion into the starting lineup helped save the Bucks season.

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 09:17:26 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Brogdon gets my vote. His insertion into the starting lineup helped save the Bucks season.

Brogdon is a good choice. I can see him getting a fair amount of votes.

He also looks like a mature, good dude. He asked the Bucks to not make any promotional efforts for his ROY campaign and instead donate that money to charity:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/malcolm-brogdon-bucks-rookie-year-charity/u6meoqrieq9i1j48jys4080z5

« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 09:24:22 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 09:24:39 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I don't see how you can possibly say this is the rookie that helped his team the most

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 09:27:00 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
I don't see how you can possibly say this is the rookie that helped his team the most

Agreed, but ROY rarely if ever goes to a player that helped his team win the most. It goes to the player with the best stats who showed the most potential. I mean, Michael Carter-Williams won ROY in the past on a horrid Sixers team.

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 10:13:12 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
No, I don't think you can win a year-end award if you play so few games in limited minutes.

I'd give it to Brogdon -- starter on a playoff team and a true rookie.

Saric, Murray, and Hield all had solid rookie seasons, as well, especially Hield.  He's played well since getting traded.

Brogdon has as good a statistical case as any of them, and he's helping a solid team win games as a starter.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 10:18:58 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
It'll be interesting at least. This season we should have some tight votes for both ROY and MVP.

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2017, 02:00:41 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
Nah, it's Saric.