Author Topic: HYPOTHETICALLY, Is Westbrook Worth BKN Picks + Chance At Max FA?  (Read 6083 times)

Re: HYPOTHETICALLY, Is Westbrook Worth BKN Picks + Chance At Max FA?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2017, 08:42:20 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
If we're giving up IT we're most likely getting the deal done with him+17 brk pick and some salary filler like Zeller and Anir to match salaries. Westbrook is amazing but guys forget IT is currently an MVP candidate
IT is having a great year but he is not an mvp candidate. Westbrook and harden are the only 2 realistic options.westbrook leads the league in scoring and averages a triple double every game.

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2017, 08:42:26 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Idk, but thinking in a vacuum I'd prefer to build around Westbrook than around the very good, not great 3 of Horford, IT and Hayward.

If you give almost everything you have for Westbrook, you've nothing left to build around. That's the problem (I'm assuming your point, a TOP-5 player is better than three top-40 players, but...).
if you give up both BKN picks you wouldn't need to give much else (if anything at all)

Well, you do need to send relatively equal salary in return.
nope. You absorb him into the cap space
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2017, 08:44:05 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Idk, but thinking in a vacuum I'd prefer to build around Westbrook than around the very good, not great 3 of Horford, IT and Hayward.

If you give almost everything you have for Westbrook, you've nothing left to build around. That's the problem (I'm assuming your point, a TOP-5 player is better than three top-40 players, but...).
if you give up both BKN picks you wouldn't need to give much else (if anything at all)

Averaging a triple-double for the first time in 50 years, and considering some people proposed to give both picks for other players with lesser value, I think you need to offer more, only in contract value (Zeller apart) but also in assets.

Westbrook (with other 5-6 players) can be the closest to untouchable I can think of.
not when he is potentially an expiring contract.  Contract length always matters

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2017, 09:19:27 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Westbrook signed an extension in the offseason after KD left.

"On August 4, 2016, Westbrook signed a three-year, $85.7 million contract extension with the Thunder."
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2017, 10:51:54 AM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28
If we're giving up IT we're most likely getting the deal done with him+17 brk pick and some salary filler like Zeller and Anir to match salaries. Westbrook is amazing but guys forget IT is currently an MVP candidate
IT is having a great year but he is not an mvp candidate. Westbrook and harden are the only 2 realistic options.westbrook leads the league in scoring and averages a triple double every game.

I laughed when I read that too....
The GreenTeamers around here are funny, guys like Smart & IT can do no wrong in their eyes.
Even if they dog it on defense, shoot us out of games, or bully rookies, the GreenTeamers just don't care.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 01:48:44 AM by SuddenFame »

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2017, 11:13:05 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

Averaging a triple-double for the first time in 50 years, and considering some people proposed to give both picks for other players with lesser value, I think you need to offer more, only in contract value (Zeller apart) but also in assets.

Westbrook (with other 5-6 players) can be the closest to untouchable I can think of.
not when he is potentially an expiring contract.  Contract length always matters

Not an expiring when he was signed through 2019 last summer, if I remember properly.

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2017, 12:49:24 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Westbrook is overrated. He couldn't win a title with KD, Ibaka, and Harden, and people think he's going to win one with Horford and Smart?

He's not a great shooter. His career FG% is .433/.312

This season it is .424/.343

Compare that to IT's .443/.368 career and .464/383 this season (with similarly limited talent around him)

Take away that massive usage rate and his numbers decline across the board. He doesn't contribute offensively when he's off the ball. It is not a sustainable style of offense.

Durant has made several verbal swipes at Westbrook this season. The fact that he left at all should tell us something about how he regards Westbrook's style.

Their offense is choppy - always has been.  The ball does not flow. It is a fatal flaw.

Swap out Westbrook with CP3 on those KD Thunder teams and they win a championship. Westbrook's style hindered them. He is good, but overrated. There is little he could do here to elevate us.

BTW he is also 28, when his athleticism starts slipping in 3-4 years he will be in for a precipitous drop, as his shooting isn't good enough to compensate.

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2017, 03:54:16 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Not an expiring when he was signed through 2019 last summer, if I remember properly.
he can opt out after next season.  He renegotiated last year and then added two years but the final year is a player option which basically no one thinks he will pick up.  Westbrook will be a free agent in the summer of 2018 which means you acquire him as an expiring contract.  Now you could in theory make the trade contingent on him picking up the option which is what the clippers did when they acquired Paul but RW really has one incentive to do that
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 04:07:28 PM by Moranis »

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2017, 04:14:14 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Westbrook is the Real Deal.

I'd rather KEEP those picks and simply add to this core of ours via FA, though.

One player (and playoff series) I'm keeping an eye on is the probable "Utah-Clippers" series. Utah just lost HCA to the Clips after last night and "IF" they lose that series we "could" land Heyward...for free, hopefully.

Get HIM and whose to say that The Stifle Tower could not be far behind? How long is Gorbert's contract?

Getting GH for free without touching our core would be AWESOME. I'm also keeping an eye on Butler and PG13 but BOTH of those would probably come with a significant price tag associated.

ADD to this core. I love this team as is and would not like to see ANYONE go. I know that the roster is bound to change somewhat in the next couple of years but I don't think we need wholesale changes to it either in order to contend.

This team is getting CLOSE. Once this window to contend fully opens we'll have 5-6 years to do damage. I'm looking forward to how DA manages this roster going forward.

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2017, 04:19:22 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
While he looks like a son of Zeus, I don't think Russell will ever win an NBA championship. So no.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2017, 08:01:07 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

The GreenTeamers around here are funny, guys like Smart & IT can do no wrong in their.
Even if they dog it on defense, shoot us out of games, or bully rookies, the GreenTeamers just don't care.
I certainly don't think like that (hated IT's 19 point game, he tried going for 20 too much) and you're underrating IT's season, he's definitely in the mix with guys like Leonard and LeBron (29ppg and 6apg is really good)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2017, 08:07:33 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!

The GreenTeamers around here are funny, guys like Smart & IT can do no wrong in their.
I certainly don't think like that (hated IT's 19 point game, he tried going for 20 too much) and you're underrating IT's season, he's definitely in the mix with guys like Leonard and LeBron (29ppg and 6apg is really good)

Yeah, not many guys are averaging 29/6 around the league, and come on now, a lot of the elite guys don't exactly play great defense either. Irving? Harden? Curry? Yes, they play better than IT mainly because they have the size, but they aren't exactly great defenders either honestly.

And No, Isaiah is certainly no Kawhi Leonard or Lebron. BUT, he's no doubt an all star who can make superstar plays on offense (note: I didn't call him a superstar, but like Irving, he can make "superstar" plays on the offensive end, and it helps BOS out a lot).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2017, 08:55:19 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

IT is probably like 6th in MVP voting this season.  He's as much in the mix for MVP as Jill Stein was for the Presidential Election.

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2017, 09:08:37 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

lol.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2017, 09:09:15 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

IT is probably like 6th in MVP voting this season.  He's as much in the mix for MVP as Jill Stein was for the Presidential Election.
I think he finishes 5th and 5th most valuable player in the league is pretty Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing good.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.