Author Topic: Would you overpay for Khris Middleton?  (Read 1937 times)

Would you overpay for Khris Middleton?
« on: April 07, 2017, 02:57:21 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
I feel like Khris Middleton is pretty much a perfect system fit for the Celtics/Stevens with his versatility and all-around game.  I also think he fits a major need in that he is a BIG wing player as opposed to our currently under-sized crop of guards.  He could also be a secondary ball-handler and scorer in more versatile ways than Bradley can be for us.  He also has an excellent contract (3 years left after this year at 14 mil per year).  So my question is would people be willing to do an "overpay" trade centered around Bradley for Middleton.  They might have similar talent levels, but Bradley is undersized at his position, and he has to be paid after next year at the same time as IT.  Bradley would work well on the Bucks however who have size everywhere (Brogdon and Antetokoumpo are both huge for their positions) and Bradley could guard the 1 for them every night.  Now I think Milwaukee would need a major reason to swap Middleton for Bradley even if their talent level is not so far off because of the contract situation.  Would you be willing to give up the BRK 18 pick and Bradley for Middleton cost-controlled for 3 years or is that a crazy overpay?  Personally, I think the BRK 18 would be too much, but I don't think MIL would bite on Bradley, LAC, and MEM pick for Middleton (a deal I would do).

Re: Would you overpay for Khris Middleton?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 03:07:10 PM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
I'm on board.

On one of the various "trade IT or no" threads I suggested Middleton could be a possible trade target for Thomas.

Everyone thought I was crazy... and they're right, of course. But if we're going to trade Thomas, he's one I'd go after.

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 03:22:47 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I would love a Bradley for Middleton swap, but not willing to 'toss in' the '18 BKN pick. We have so many other picks and we would also need to match salaries - be it something small like Rozier/Jackson or something bigger like Smart or Crowder (this is assuming we use all of our cap space this summer on a FA).

This is definitely something to consider - Bradley would fit on their roster nicely, but I am not sure Milwaukee is all about giving up Middleton.

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 03:22:55 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I wouldnt because with Brown Crowder Bradley and Smart, I dont see wing as a need we must address our dearth of quality big men before we use a big asset('18 or '17) to upgrade a strength right now.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 03:49:57 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Why would I want to overpay for the second coming of Jeff Green?

Doesn't address a need, isn't better than Bradley, and only played in ~30 games this season. No thanks.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 03:52:11 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Doesn't address a need, isn't better than Bradley, and only played in ~30 games this season. No thanks.
there have been upwards of 100 second comings of Jeff Green according to this blog.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 03:54:40 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

there have been upwards of 100 second comings of Jeff Green according to this blog.
Ok, he's not the second coming of Jeff Green. However, the idea that we should trade Bradley (a player that's better than Middleton) AND a pick for him is nothing short of laughable. Even more so when the pick in question is Brooklyn '18.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 04:06:22 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Middleton has almost nothing in common with Green, and he's better than AB.

I do agree that we have bigger needs, however, and that AB + a certain lottery pick is too much.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 04:11:22 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I do agree that we have bigger needs, however, and that AB + a certain lottery pick is too much.

Agreed.

And the 30 game thing was a fluke due his torn hamstring. He's played 82-79-79 the last 3 seasons.

Wouldn't give up a lottery pick for him though. AB + a 2nd rounder, for sure.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 04:13:08 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I want a PF and a Center. The PG-SF depth chart for this club are fine right now and will only get better via draft. I don't see why so many are looking for wings. Just look at the roster depth chart
Guards
IT, All star.
AB, solid two way player.
Smart, solid role player.
Rozier, developing role player.

G/SF
Brown, high pick developing player.
Nader, looking good in DL

SF/PF
Crowder, solid two way player.
Jerekbo, 9th man role player.

Now assume team drafts in the top 5 that's very likely a Guard or SF/PF player. They can easily fill in AB's spot if lost in FA or if he is moved for a big because the team is deep at guard players there. So again no big need for a wing.

Now about upgrading with say Middleton. In a Middleton vs AB, AB is a great on the ball player but off the ball, in the post and in close outs it's true that he gives up a little due to his height. Middleton is pretty much the opposite he has length but isn't as fast so he backs up early. On offense Middleton is pretty much providing the same amount of offense but he can shoot over a lot of guys due to his height while AB is great cutting and running around screens. Not sure how much better the team gets with the change in players. In truth the best case scenario is trade AB for a big and then sign Hayward to play SG upgrading two spots.

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 04:25:42 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
If we strike out in free agency,

I could see trading AB + Zeller for him. It would be a way for Milwaukee to save money too.

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 04:31:08 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

I'm not sure what makes him better than Bradley. The scoring and shooting is generally a wash, and Bradley has been better cleaning up the boards. Replacing Bradley with Middleton will not improve our team and is a lateral move at best.

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 04:32:14 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
Agree with most of the sentiments.  I wouldn't give up the BRK pick in the swap, but I would be willing to give up two lesser assets in addition to Bradley (2 out of LAC, MEM, our 1sts, Rozier, Yabusele).  I think Middleton's contract situation makes him very attractive.  I agree signing Hayward would and trading AB for a big is the ideal route just a lot of variables there.

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 04:33:31 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I like Middleton a lot. 

He's better than AB and I agree with Roy, the Jeff Green comparison makes no sense to me.

All that said, he's not the "missing piece" for us so overpaying for him doesn't make a lot of sense.  We need to worry about upgrading the second frontcourt spot more than we need to worry about upgrading at SG, especially considering that our lotto pick this year is likely to be a guard.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 12:58:41 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Nope.

Heyward or Griffin are better fits.

Middleton is kind of meh.  He's scoring average points on a bad team.  Reminds me of Jeff Green but not as athletic.  He's shooting lights out from 3pt this year though,  I'll give him that.