Author Topic: Does Running Up The Score Bother You?  (Read 2323 times)

Re: Does Running Up The Score Bother You?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 03:40:12 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I have no problem with something like the Javale McGee shot - if he hit rim with it it would have shortened the game (since it would have avoided the shot clock violation).  The play by Stephenson, though, I have a problem with, since he could have dribbled out the clock.  If he had dribbled until there was a second left and then laid it in as time expired? Unnecessary, but whatever.

I just have a problem with players making a game longer for no reason other than running up the score (Lance) or padding stats (Booker)

Marginally related, nothing annoyed more than the play a couple of years ago (I think during a Raptors game?) where someone faked a handshake with a young guy at half court, then stole the ball and laid it in for no reason other than being an a*****e (just looked it up, it was Caron Butler taking it from Valancunius while down 27 at the end of the game. Then jawing at the refs about needing to call a clear path foul)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2017, 03:44:00 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I have no problem with something like the Javale McGee shot - if he hit rim with it it would have shortened the game (since it would have avoided the shot clock violation).  The play by Stephenson, though, I have a problem with, since he could have dribbled out the clock.  If he had dribbled until there was a second left and then laid it in as time expired? Unnecessary, but whatever.

I just have a problem with players making a game longer for no reason other than running up the score (Lance) or padding stats (Booker)

Marginally related, nothing annoyed more than the play a couple of years ago (I think during a Raptors game?) where someone faked a handshake with a young guy at half court, then stole the ball and laid it in for no reason other than being an a*****e (just looked it up, it was Caron Butler taking it from Valancunius while down 27 at the end of the game. Then jawing at the refs about needing to call a clear path foul)
Ugh. I'd never seen that. Just awful.

At least it wasn't Butler pulling that when his team was on the winning side of a blow out. That'd be so much worse.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2017, 03:51:32 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Tommy points hath been given to each in the thread who acknowledge sportsmanship.

13 year olds look to these guys as examples of how to play and compete. Once the outcome of the game is not in doubt, it's Gino time, but no need to be an even bigger jack ass by running up the score in addition to having the opponent watch as the starters turn an NBA game into a dance party.

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2017, 04:02:40 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
In top level competition not at all, but it obviously can leave a bad taste in the mouth of your competition that could have negative effects down the line.  With little kids, rec leagues, etc. yeah it bothers me some. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2017, 04:59:49 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
In top level competition not at all, but it obviously can leave a bad taste in the mouth of your competition that could have negative effects down the line.  With little kids, rec leagues, etc. yeah it bothers me some.

I think it is bad for a few reasons though. While it can be overstated, I do think that kids still look up to these guys and they should think about that when they get into excessive showboating and things of the like. The reason running up the score and leaving starters in too much, is if a team has already conceded the game and accepted defeat and is just running out the clock there is a real risk of injury if some bench warmer gets annoyed and a scuffle breaks.

We were pretty fortunate that nobody was injured in the Lance fiasco last night. The game was over and nobody was trying to defend Lance. I think it was pretty obnoxious and while the reaction by the Raptor's wasn't great either, you can understand with your heart rate pumping and just having lost a tough game by being dominated in the second half you don't need a guy taking cheap points instead of letting the clock run out. Now this scuffle breaks out between two teams most likely headed to the playoffs. Say Derozen, George or Turner falls awkwardly and sprains a wrist and misses playoff time. Then the whole season has been ruined by a series of events cause by a meaningless bucket when the game was over. That would be pretty tough to swallow from all sides involved.

If it is a 15 point game with a minute left and the other team is not fouling and has conceded the game just let the clock run out and the game end without interruption or injury. That is really the best for everyone. 

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2017, 05:29:41 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Doesn't bother me much really. If you lose, you lose. Scoring a late game bucket doesn't make you lose more or anything. Next time come out and play better.

In terms of the "integrity of the game", and the children that look up to these athletes, there's probably no place for that kind of stuff, but in all honesty, starting a fight just because someone ran up a score is even more un-sportsmanlike than running up the score because you're trying to inflict bodily harm on someone cuz u mad.

But as someone who's lived in Brooklyn my whole life, I have heard a lot of Lance Stephenson stories from my friends and family who've attended high school with him. That guy is a b-hole, but he's a competitor.

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2017, 06:08:48 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I've seen some smh type basketball at the youth level recently. The Steph Curry 3 point step backs are getting emulated. It's not good for basketball.

Especially when u are up 20 points.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2017, 06:09:13 PM »

Online Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
  • B's Up
At a certain point it just becomes disrespectful.. if you're up 40 with 2 mins left the starters should not be in and the bench guys who barely get any burn should be in and if they play hard it's expected. And then you increase the possibility of a cheap shot or injury to your starters. One of those unwritten rules that has disappeared in the new age arrogant  style of play that the steph Currys of the league have brought. It's just not a good look for the future generation of ballers to be thinking is acceptable
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2017, 06:30:30 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Tommy points hath been given to each in the thread who acknowledge sportsmanship.

13 year olds look to these guys as examples of how to play and compete. Once the outcome of the game is not in doubt, it's Gino time, but no need to be an even bigger jack ass by running up the score in addition to having the opponent watch as the starters turn an NBA game into a dance party.

Tommy points been given to people who believe in beating the other team into submission.

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2017, 06:38:18 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I'm mixed about it.

In professional sports I rarely dislike it for several reasons and under several conditions:
1. Professionals, equal playing field, fans may like seeing the starters perform from start to finish
2. We place a lot of emphasis on history and records, so I don't mind it if a team or player is chasing certain records, etc.
3. The biggest reason is we have had some ridiculous comebacks recently across many sports, so it is actually really hard to say with certainty when it is running up the score and when it is just trying to protect against a ridiculous comeback. I know I wouldn't want to be on the losing end of an epic comeback because we were trying not to run up the score, and I don't think there will ever be agreement on when a lead is safe. In professional sports, I generally say that if the losing team doesn't appreciate the score being "run up," then they could also stop trying on offense or forfeit the game. In football, if a team was losing and started kneeling, I bet the other team would return the favor. But you never see that. So if a losing team is supposed to play to the end because anything could happen, why shouldn't the winning team?

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2017, 06:53:43 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Well I did give a TP for torturing the lakers....

Tommy points been given to people who believe in beating the other team into submission.

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2017, 07:38:19 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I don't really mind taking a shot rather than dribbling out the clock.  What's the difference between losing by 20 or 22?  As a fan I'd rather watch a shot than a bunch of nothing.  As for Golden State keeping their starters in, it seems hypocritical for a team that's rests guys for whole games.  I think Green and Iggy are resting tonight.

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2017, 07:47:39 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
No, not at all. The fans deserve to watch a game to the end. You do not want to be embarrassed then nad up and play some defense.