Author Topic: Does Running Up The Score Bother You?  (Read 2324 times)

Does Running Up The Score Bother You?
« on: April 05, 2017, 02:33:18 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
I'm sure everyone knows about Brandon Jennings giving a flagrant foul on Javale McGee when Jennings thought McGee taking a 3 at the end of a Wizards loss was him being disrespectful but here's the story:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19064146/washington-wizards-miffed-golden-state-warriors-last-minute-plays

Does Javale taking the shot bother anyone? It doesn't bother me in the slightest. I played on a lot of bad basketball teams in school and have had my share of losses in the park and I never once thought to myself, "How dare they embarrass me." If my team lost, I'm embarrassed for the loss. If another team is "piling it on" that's my fault for not stopping them.

Maybe its classless to keep your best players in the game once its been decided but I don't think Javale McGee taking a 3 qualifies.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: Does Running Up The Score Bother You?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 02:37:49 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
that depends. i think running up the score is really uncalled for, unnecessary, and unprofessional.

unless its the celtics against the lakers, then hell, run it up as much they can!!!

;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 02:38:25 PM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28
Teams should definitely have the right to run up a score if they so desire, but it may be foolish when you factor in potential for injuries.  I do agree that it's a touch classless also to keep your best players in for that sole reason.

The Lamestream Media said the same things in 2007 when Brady, Welker & Moss were trashing teams in the first half of the season.

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 02:42:02 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I guess it depends on the situation and personalities, and to a large degree the sport, but in general I'm ok with it.  Not really my style asa competitor, but I don't mind watching it as a fan.

I'll never forget playing in a Little League baseball game many many moons ago (long before the "mercy rule" was a thing).  My team was getting beaten by like 20 runs by a much better team.  The opposing coach started having his team lay down bunts.  I hated that worse than any beat down.
Yup

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 02:42:24 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Lance Stevenson should not have taken it in for a layup in last nights game. It won't kill anyone but I can see why that would p--- a team off. It is like taunting

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 02:47:39 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
doesn't really bother me, if it's not the very very last possession like Lance Stevenson's play then I am mostly ok with it. I think tuning down your style of play just so the score doesn't look embarrassing to the other team is dumb. In my honest opinion dumbing down or playing more loose is more of an insult to the opposing team than running up the score...it means they are not worth their time to even compete. But if it's really the last possession of the game, with like 10-20 seconds left and the game is already over, I think dribbling out the clock is ok.

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 02:51:52 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
No.

But i also don't mind when teams like that get their comeuppance down the road, either.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 02:56:56 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I don't mind it in sports like baseball or football where offense and defense are so separated. You can't expect a team to keep kneeling on the ball or strike out three times on purpose. Even pulling all of your starters isn't common since there are much fewer bench players.

In basketball it can get a little annoying when a team like GSW is still running out Curry, Klay, Green, etc well into the 4th even when they're up by 40. It more seems like stat chasing than anything else at that point. When the end of the bench players are in, though, then I consider it totally okay for those guys to play hard. Many of them barely get an opportunity to play.

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 02:58:31 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
I'm confused.... This is coming from the team that wore all black to a regular season game?

On topic; I couldn't care less about teams running up the score.  I've seen teams blow big leads pretty easily... Why should it be on the team who is up to slow themselves down?  A team like GSW who are competing for a championship would rather get their guys as much play time together as possible to get everyone gelling...  Playing that loose style that comes with "playing easier" is not a good habit to build with the playoffs approaching.

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 03:05:08 PM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
I'm confused.... This is coming from the team that wore all black to a regular season game?

On topic; I couldn't care less about teams running up the score.  I've seen teams blow big leads pretty easily... Why should it be on the team who is up to slow themselves down?  A team like GSW who are competing for a championship would rather get their guys as much play time together as possible to get everyone gelling...  Playing that loose style that comes with "playing easier" is not a good habit to build with the playoffs approaching.

You bring up a really good point.
it seems in the NBA, on any given night, no lead is ever safe.
So is it even possible to run up a score in the NBA, barring the last few minutes???

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 03:06:57 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
Lance Stevenson should not have taken it in for a layup in last nights game. It won't kill anyone but I can see why that would p--- a team off. It is like taunting
Yeah, the Stephenson thing feels very different. He didn't have to take it in to make the shot clock, he could've just waited it out. And there wasn't anyone from Toronto playing defense. Why he took it in, I have no idea. That, I guess, I did have a problem with.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 03:11:16 PM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
Yeah, the Stephenson thing feels very different. He didn't have to take it in to make the shot clock, he could've just waited it out. And there wasn't anyone from Toronto playing defense. Why he took it in, I have no idea. That, I guess, I did have a problem with.

Isn't Stephenson the most hated player in the league, anyway. I guess he likes being the bad guy.

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 03:21:26 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
If Toronto didn't like it, they should have not blown a double digit lead and ended up getting blown out.  Play better, it won't be an issue.

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 03:24:13 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I thought so but ...*checks post count*...I guess not.

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 03:36:34 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I think there are three reasons for running up the score:

1. Using absolute dominance to establish a mental edge against your current opponent, or others watching;
2. Using the cushion as an opportunity to run something you want to practice "live," but in a low-stakes game situation (e.g., a full-court press, a two-minute drill);
3. Doing it for no productive purpose other than being an **** and disrespectful.

#1 and #2 are not only acceptable, but signs of good coaching IMO.

#3 is trash.