Author Topic: Cavaliers (50-27) at Celtics (50-27) Game #78 4/5/17  (Read 50396 times)

Re: Cavaliers (50-27) at Celtics (50-27) Game #78 4/5/17
« Reply #495 on: April 05, 2017, 11:30:52 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Anyone got any interviews after the game? Definitely want to know what they had to say after a performance like that.

« Reply #496 on: April 05, 2017, 11:42:21 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
We clearly aren't beating CLE in a 7 game series.

... and we knew this coming into the game tonight.  Relax, people!  Let's enjoy winning first round of the playoffs, hope we avoid Toronto in round 2, and see what happens there.

Question: I wasn't able to watch the game, though -- did we shoot poorly because it was an off night, or CLE ramped up their defense tonight?

Actually I thought we had a shot based on how poorly CLE had been playing on the road.

Tonight the giant awoke.

« Reply #497 on: April 05, 2017, 11:45:47 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378

... and we knew this coming into the game tonight.  Relax, people!  Let's enjoy winning first round of the playoffs, hope we avoid Toronto in round 2, and see what happens there.

Question: I wasn't able to watch the game, though -- did we shoot poorly because it was an off night, or CLE ramped up their defense tonight?

C's came out soft...and then panicked and rushed shots....awful night.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #498 on: April 05, 2017, 11:52:19 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The bottom line for this team is that the only way they can compete with elite teams is to play great defense, which is something they have not done with any consistency this season.  The D has improved a little from an atrocious start to the season but without IT playing out of his mind in the 4th quarter, how many more losses would we have?  Six?  Eight?  Ten?

And the problem with the defense is a lack of effort leading to a lack of execution.  Even as our defensive effort has improved lately, though not so much tonight, you can see our rotations break down really quickly when other teams keep moving the ball.  That's because we're not used to making that 2nd and 3rd and 4th rotation because we haven't played D hard enough to force teams away from their initial attack.

Mike

This is absolutely spot on. This team only goes as far as its defense does, and it has simply not been there all year long.

We simply got too cocky and entitled and thought we didn't need to play high-level, intense D like we used to anymore. But this is what we get for being like that all year long.

And I really question if we'll "turn it on" and "flip the switch" in the playoffs if we couldn't even do it tonight.

C's are going to struggle in the playoffs. Doesn't mean they can't win 2 rounds but they are going to be dog fights at best. Too many guys that are consistently inconsistent.

This is how I feel. IF they get out of the first round, I doubt it will be in fewer than 6 games, and it'll only get worse from that point on.

This is a Jekyll & Hyde team—they can play great against great teams, bad against bad teams, and everything in between. Pretty maddening for fans.

I know that being this far along in only year 3 or 4 of a rebuild is a great thing overall, but at the same time it shows how poor the Eastern Conference is—a team with only 1 star and a bunch of solid role players is battling for the No. 1 seed. The Wizards and Raptors should be ashamed of themselves for not being ahead of the Celtics. Boston's record probably shouldn't be as good as it is, because this team probably isn't as good as its record. The Celtics have occasionally played out-of-their-mind good against great teams, like the Warriors, but more often have played down to inferior competition.

I had a pregame inkling that tonight's game would turn out as it did, and the first two minutes of the game were a microcosm of the night—good looks for the Celtics that they just plain missed, surrendering several offensive rebounds, and Bradley getting blocked on a point-blank shot when he had been wide open.

Will they beat ATL tomorrow? Hard to say. No result would surprise me—not a 20-point win, a 20-point loss, or anything else. Like I said, Jekyll & Hyde. Maddening. There are five games left in the regular season, then the first round of the playoffs, but we may have already seen the best Celtics basketball of the season.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #499 on: April 05, 2017, 11:53:54 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Actually I thought we had a shot based on how poorly CLE had been playing on the road.

Tonight the giant awoke.

LeBron's career average against Boston is his best against any team. He almost always shows up for Cs games. Until his time is past—or Boston somehow acquires two more all-stars this offseason—the Cs aren't getting by Cleveland.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #500 on: April 06, 2017, 12:53:01 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
This is going to be a sweep for the Cavs should these two teams meet again in the postseason.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #501 on: April 06, 2017, 01:00:52 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I think in a way it was sort of a good thing we got blown out.  Our team needs the edge.  They were smelling their own farts a bit there

« Reply #502 on: April 06, 2017, 01:16:10 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think in a way it was sort of a good thing we got blown out.  Our team needs the edge.  They were smelling their own farts a bit there

I don't think getting steamrolled by them is all that terrible either, except we didn't show much fire in trying to rally in the 2nd half.  That spirit and fight that has shown itself a lot this year just wasn't there at all tonight.  We kind of just rolled over, we didn't crank up the D, or change our D on the fly at all to adjust.  Plus no one really stepped up from our bench.  That wasn't good.

« Reply #503 on: April 06, 2017, 01:32:09 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Ogaju, another game tomorrow.  I'll be rooting for them like I always do and calling Danny out everytime we lose a game we aren't supposed to because I can 8) and because it's Danny's job to put this team in a position to succeed

Your inconsistency is worthy of note. You love them one day, and hate them the next. Danny is an integral part of the team. In fact it is his team. So I don't know how you love the team created by a 'moron' as you call him.

« Reply #504 on: April 06, 2017, 01:57:16 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
There's no way we beat Cavs in any series. This phase, where the Celtics at the moment are, is not a threat to the Cavs under any circumstances. Let's just relax, enjoy the playoffs and wait for summer and next crucial move(s) by DA.

« Reply #505 on: April 06, 2017, 03:16:30 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

I don't think getting steamrolled by them is all that terrible either, except we didn't show much fire in trying to rally in the 2nd half.  That spirit and fight that has shown itself a lot this year just wasn't there at all tonight.  We kind of just rolled over, we didn't crank up the D, or change our D on the fly at all to adjust.  Plus no one really stepped up from our bench.  That wasn't good.
Yup complete no shows from Smart, KO, Jerebko, Green, Jaylen yea he's a rook but still we didn't get any meaningful contribution from these guys. Then add Bradley to the list that's a blowout. It just feels like we're gonna see more of this in the playoffs.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #506 on: April 06, 2017, 04:48:06 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

Yup complete no shows from Smart, KO, Jerebko, Green, Jaylen yea he's a rook but still we didn't get any meaningful contribution from these guys. Then add Bradley to the list that's a blowout. It just feels like we're gonna see more of this in the playoffs.

Yeah, it doesn't "feel" like that at all to me.

To me it feels like we got blown out by the second greatest player of all time.

I'm just glad we didn't try run any new sets against them.

Beating that team 4 times out of 8 tries is easier than beating them 5 times out of 8 tries by the way.  ;D

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #507 on: April 06, 2017, 06:13:29 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
LOL  Can someone go and read some of the comments in last game thread that Cs won and compare it to this thread.

The internet is a hot take world.  I think the expectations just started to get too high once we got into 1st in the east. 

This game makes me worry more about our ability to get stops in the playoffs than one bad night of shooting.  Well that and the fact that cleveland punched us in the mouth and we quietly rolled over.  That part was hard to watch.

This is why this board is always Arguing. The realist vs the idealist.  People that live in the real world know what this team is.  Know that Danny isn't doing his part to help, and knows we're a second round exit.  Idealist think we're 2017-18 NBA champions lol

« Reply #508 on: April 06, 2017, 06:51:15 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
LOL  Can someone go and read some of the comments in last game thread that Cs won and compare it to this thread.

The internet is a hot take world.  I think the expectations just started to get too high once we got into 1st in the east. 

This game makes me worry more about our ability to get stops in the playoffs than one bad night of shooting.  Well that and the fact that cleveland punched us in the mouth and we quietly rolled over.  That part was hard to watch.

This is why this board is always Arguing. The realist vs the idealist.  People that live in the real world know what this team is.  Know that Danny isn't doing his part to help, and knows we're a second round exit.  Idealist think we're 2017-18 NBA champions lol

And there is defeatist like you who only post when C's lose. We may not win banner 18 next year, but to expect that we're suddenly gonna drop off is just as delusional.

« Reply #509 on: April 06, 2017, 06:56:10 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
how embarrassing... these fans should be banned...except the fan with the Lebron jersey...I guess =T

http://www.csnne.com/video/lebron-rejects-smarts-shot-high-fives-fans