Author Topic: Cavaliers (50-27) at Celtics (50-27) Game #78 4/5/17  (Read 50856 times)

Re: Cavaliers (50-27) at Celtics (50-27) Game #78 4/5/17
« Reply #465 on: April 05, 2017, 10:21:20 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
The bottom line for this team is that the only way they can compete with elite teams is to play great defense, which is something they have not done with any consistency this season.  The D has improved a little from an atrocious start to the season but without IT playing out of his mind in the 4th quarter, how many more losses would we have?  Six?  Eight?  Ten?

And the problem with the defense is a lack of effort leading to a lack of execution.  Even as our defensive effort has improved lately, though not so much tonight, you can see our rotations break down really quickly when other teams keep moving the ball.  That's because we're not used to making that 2nd and 3rd and 4th rotation because we haven't played D hard enough to force teams away from their initial attack.

Mike

« Reply #466 on: April 05, 2017, 10:21:28 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Welp.  Now is a good time to remind ourselves that the goal heading into this a season was "win a playoff series."  We don't need to beat Cleveland to accomplish that.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #467 on: April 05, 2017, 10:21:38 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
LOL  Can someone go and read some of the comments in last game thread that Cs won and compare it to this thread.

« Reply #468 on: April 05, 2017, 10:23:02 PM »

Offline Walter Moss

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 37

« Reply #469 on: April 05, 2017, 10:24:11 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
LOL  Can someone go and read some of the comments in last game thread that Cs won and compare it to this thread.

The internet is a hot take world.  I think the expectations just started to get too high once we got into 1st in the east. 

This game makes me worry more about our ability to get stops in the playoffs than one bad night of shooting.  Well that and the fact that cleveland punched us in the mouth and we quietly rolled over.  That part was hard to watch.

« Reply #470 on: April 05, 2017, 10:24:16 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553
You can't go small against Lebron.

agree.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #471 on: April 05, 2017, 10:24:54 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
The bottom line for this team is that the only way they can compete with elite teams is to play great defense, which is something they have not done with any consistency this season.  The D has improved a little from an atrocious start to the season but without IT playing out of his mind in the 4th quarter, how many more losses would we have?  Six?  Eight?  Ten?

And the problem with the defense is a lack of effort leading to a lack of execution.  Even as our defensive effort has improved lately, though not so much tonight, you can see our rotations break down really quickly when other teams keep moving the ball.  That's because we're not used to making that 2nd and 3rd and 4th rotation because we haven't played D hard enough to force teams away from their initial attack.

Mike

This is absolutely spot on. This team only goes as far as its defense does, and it has simply not been there all year long.

We simply got too cocky and entitled and thought we didn't need to play high-level, intense D like we used to anymore. But this is what we get for being like that all year long.

And I really question if we'll "turn it on" and "flip the switch" in the playoffs if we couldn't even do it tonight.

« Reply #472 on: April 05, 2017, 10:25:18 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

We played the Knicks for godssakes.  A Melo-less Knick.  Why shouldn't fans take it when they can get it.  I'm sure if you ask anyone in that thread if they think they can beat the Cavs in 7 games, they'd all say no.  What's the point comparing the two?

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #473 on: April 05, 2017, 10:27:38 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!

Mike

This is absolutely spot on. This team only goes as far as its defense does, and it has simply not been there all year long.

We simply got too cocky and entitled and thought we didn't need to play high-level, intense D like we used to anymore. But this is what we get for being like that all year long.

And I really question if we'll "turn it on" and "flip the switch" in the playoffs if we couldn't even do it tonight.

C's are going to struggle in the playoffs. Doesn't mean they can't win 2 rounds but they are going to be dog fights at best. Too many guys that are consistently inconsistent.

« Reply #474 on: April 05, 2017, 10:27:38 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Goodluck getting out of the first round.  This is how teams will play us come playoffs.  Take out IT and we are average at best.

Then next season comes and we draft.  We get the best player but we lose most of this core because most of their contracts are up.  Then comes the arduous task of having to sign bums for years to come because free agents don't willingly come here.

Danny, you are about to be exposed for **** gm you really are.  Your luck which has painted you as some genius over the years will soon run out.

LOL and there is Clench coming through with the hot take on Danny Ainge.  Go back to your cave.

Love the team.  Can't stand Danny.  Sorry, I don't think he's as brilliant as everyone seems to think.  I think he's a guy who's had so much luck come his way as a gm that is enough to fool gullible people that he's some kind of mastermind genius.  Sorry, he's not.
Clench, it can be argued that every GM is all a product of luck, list 3 better GMs than Ainge.

Don't care about any other gm.  I only care about this gm and what he's doing. 

Danny is a gambler, and I fully understand you have to have some element of that to be an effective gm, but danny don't just have some element, HE IS A GAMBLER ALL THE WAY. 

He's like that guy who has had many great nights at the machine or at the table but don't know when to logically cash in and go home.

His latest gamble?  He gambled signing a 30 year old Horford to 26 million a year in the hopes that maybe, just maybe Durant would want to sign. 

How is that a brilliant gm?  How does that make any sense whatsoever?
Horford was a tiny overpay imo. He was not signed strictly because of KD. Even with KD not coming here, he is a good signing. Thats been discussed ad nauseam. He brings a lot to the locker room, he is a brilliant passer and a great screen setter and a good defender. he spreads the floor and has allowed Isaiah, Avery, and Jae to all have substantial career years in terms of shooting percentages.

Ill ignore all the stuff about Ainge being a gambler because it is devoid of any real analysis.

You also need to list 3 better GMs. If Danny sucks but he sucks less than everyone else than he doesnt suck. He is great.

You yourself have said that this team could win a title if they just gave consistent effort.

You thus believe that without cashing in on their very best asset, or developing their second best one, they still have the talent level of a team that could win a title.

Any GM that can put together a championship level talent base and have a #3 pick a top 4 pick incoming and another likely lotto pick on the way is a genius. If you deny that, your standards are absurd.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #475 on: April 05, 2017, 10:28:21 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

We played the Knicks for godssakes.  A Melo-less Knick.  Why shouldn't fans take it when they can get it.  I'm sure if you ask anyone in that thread if they think they can beat the Cavs in 7 games, they'd all say no.  What's the point comparing the two?

Because some of the folks that are criticizing the team and Danny today, where saying how much they love this team ... that is why.

« Reply #476 on: April 05, 2017, 10:28:35 PM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 101
  • B's Up
A little fun fact before I depart for the night. IT 4 rebounds, KO 4 rebounds, Amir 3 rebounds.. AB 7 rebounds horford 7 rebounds. Our starting backcourt with the average height of 5ft10 out rebounding our 3 best bigs.. just ridiculous
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #477 on: April 05, 2017, 10:29:54 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Welp.  Now is a good time to remind ourselves that the goal heading into this a season was "win a playoff series."  We don't need to beat Cleveland to accomplish that.
the expectation was win a playoff series.

the goal (for many) was make the ECF.

we also dont need to beat the Cavs to do that.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #478 on: April 05, 2017, 10:30:17 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!
A little fun fact before I depart for the night. IT 4 rebounds, KO 4 rebounds, Amir 3 rebounds.. AB 7 rebounds horford 7 rebounds. Our starting backcourt with the average height of 5ft10 out rebounding our 3 best bigs.. just ridiculous

There is a word for that which starts with an S...

« Reply #479 on: April 05, 2017, 10:37:47 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Because some of the folks that are criticizing the team and Danny today, where saying how much they love this team ... that is why.

That's really slick and dirty what you did there.  Next time I hope there's enough balls in that sack to call me out openly.

Love the team.  Can't stand Danny.  Big difference.  I love this team.  You want me to say it again?  I love this team.  I love this team because 1) I am a Celtics fan and will root for them no matter what, even when I'm well aware of their limit.  The same way I rooted for Rondo for years despite all his flaws.  And when he was traded I was ok with it because it's a better deal and something that needed done.  2) Because they aren't performing to their potential.  If Sully and Turner are the difference-maker in our bulldog-like defense last year, then we are in a lot of trouble.  I know they are not, which is why this is troubling.  3) I love this team because I love Brad Stevens.  And they reason is because of what he is able to do with little he has.  He is the mastermind, not Danny. 

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell