0 (0%)
Isaiah Thomas
8 (11.4%)
John Wall
0 (0%)
Other
2 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Who Is Your Choice for 2016-2017 NBA MVP?  (Read 8524 times)

Re: Who Is Your Choice for 2016-2017 NBA MVP?
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2017, 09:58:01 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
MVP is an award for regular season performance, you don't get it for showing up to play at your full potential once in a while against certain opponents.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2017, 11:24:12 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
MVP is an award for regular season performance, you don't get it for showing up to play at your full potential once in a while against certain opponents.
James is setting a career high in both rpg and apg this year.  He could also easily average a triple double but sometimes the right play is letting others do their thing rather than state padding.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2017, 11:36:31 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
He's coasting on defense most nights and isn't as assertive as he could be as a scorer. Which would be fine if the Cavs were playing like world beaters. They aren't. LeBron is doing just enough to put his team in position to make the Finals again. That makes a lot of sense. But it takes him out of contention for MVP in my book.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2017, 07:31:52 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
I wonder if Westbrook was averaging 9.4 assists and 8.9 rebounds per game would he still be winning this MVP poll? Would those numbers result in meaningful change in the on court production?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2017, 08:59:37 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
torn 3 way between Westbrook, Harden and Bron.  Hate Bron but have to give it to him.  still the best player in the league and he has Cleveland in first place with sporadic help from his teammates. 

Westbrook and Harden are having great years but as much as I hate to admit it, Bron is still the best in the game and I don't think anyone is really that close despite some terrific years by a few other players.

« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2017, 09:04:38 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
He's coasting on defense most nights and isn't as assertive as he could be as a scorer. Which would be fine if the Cavs were playing like world beaters. They aren't. LeBron is doing just enough to put his team in position to make the Finals again. That makes a lot of sense. But it takes him out of contention for MVP in my book.
the thing is even with James coasting some he is still playing better defense than Harden and Westbrook who let's be honest coast defensively also.  Even Leonard coasts some of the time defensively.  The reality is everyone coasts defensively because they can and they have to to remain  effective offenaively

« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2017, 09:56:45 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
the thing is even with James coasting some he is still playing better defense than Harden and Westbrook who let's be honest coast defensively also.  Even Leonard coasts some of the time defensively.  The reality is everyone coasts defensively because they can and they have to to remain  effective offenaively

Sure, but two things...

Generally, I think those guys are playing pretty close to their max capacity.

Their teams are better (not Westbrook).

If the Cavs were playing like a top two or three team in the league despite James coasting, I'd be more open to the argument. But he's not. So the argument for him to win MVP is grounded in what you know he's capable of doing when the games mean more, not what he's done on the floor during the regular season.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2017, 11:26:13 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Sure, but two things...

Generally, I think those guys are playing pretty close to their max capacity.

Their teams are better (not Westbrook).

If the Cavs were playing like a top two or three team in the league despite James coasting, I'd be more open to the argument. But he's not. So the argument for him to win MVP is grounded in what you know he's capable of doing when the games mean more, not what he's done on the floor during the regular season.
Not at all.  James is averaging his career high in both rpg and apg at 8.6 and 8.7 respectively.  His scoring is the highest it has been in 4 seasons.  His 2PT% is the second best in his career and his 3PT% is his 3rd best.  You could make a reasonable argument that this is James best all around season in his entire career.  Does he go full bore night in and night out defensively, no (and again no one does), but when you consider just how bad the Cavs actually are when he isn't in the game, it is clear he means more to the Cavs than any other player in the league means to his respective team.  When you couple that with perhaps his best overall season and James is the clear MVP in my mind. 

« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2017, 12:31:16 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Tell me which of the following things you disagree with:

1) The Warriors, Spurs, and Rockets have all been better than the Cavaliers in this regular season.

2) Kyrie, Love, and Thompson are a more talented supporting cast than Aldridge / Pau / Parker or Gordon / Ariza / Anderson.

3) James Harden has more offensive responsibility for the Rockets than LeBron has for the Cavs. 

4) James Harden is playing closer to his maximum potential on a nightly basis than LeBron is for the Cavs.

5) James Harden and Kawhi Leonard are both more productive scorers than LeBron this season, and their scoring efficiency is about the same. 

6) Stephen Curry is scoring more than LeBron and almost as much as Harden, and is the most efficient of this whole group.

7) Kawhi Leonard is playing the best defense of any of the plausible MVP candidates.

8 ) The Rockets are better than you expected them to be during this regular season; the Cavs are not as good as you expected them to be during this regular season.

From your response above I take it that your basic position on this is that the Cavs are really just not a very good team without LeBron, whereas the Rockets or Spurs might be at least competitive (and well coached) without Harden or Kawhi.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2017, 12:42:22 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Tell me which of the following things you disagree with:

1) The Warriors, Spurs, and Rockets have all been better than the Cavaliers in this regular season.

2) Kyrie, Love, and Thompson are a more talented supporting cast than Aldridge / Pau / Parker or Gordon / Ariza / Anderson.

3) James Harden has more offensive responsibility for the Rockets than LeBron has for the Cavs. 

4) James Harden is playing closer to his maximum potential on a nightly basis than LeBron is for the Cavs.

5) James Harden and Kawhi Leonard are both more productive scorers than LeBron this season, and their scoring efficiency is about the same. 

6) Stephen Curry is scoring more than LeBron and almost as much as Harden, and is the most efficient of this whole group.

7) Kawhi Leonard is playing the best defense of any of the plausible MVP candidates.

8 ) The Rockets are better than you expected them to be during this regular season; the Cavs are not as good as you expected them to be during this regular season.

From your response above I take it that your basic position on this is that the Cavs are really just not a very good team without LeBron, whereas the Rockets or Spurs might be at least competitive (and well coached) without Harden or Kawhi.

I mean he is living in Cleveland  ;D. Is the premise that the Cavs can underperform for 40 games in the second half of the season and play the worst defense in the league but James is completely absolved cause everyone else on the team sucks? That is fairly laughable. 

Also not for nothing but James is going to end up missing like 7 games for rest where Harden will presumably miss only 1 or 2 despite having a fairly painful wrist injury. If it was somehow close that would be a factor, but again, it is not close.

« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2017, 12:45:49 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Cleveland/Lebron pom pom waiving aside, I'd be shocked if anyone not named James Harden or Russell Westbrook actually wins the MVP award this season.

I just don't see it happening.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2017, 01:40:46 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Sometimes it seems to me that only thing that Kawhi is missing to be a stronger MVP candidate is more chest thumping or some other form of a public ego boosting. Maybe if he had a famous girlfriend and then sold TV rights of a their terrible breakup would do it too.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2017, 01:57:04 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Sometimes it seems to me that only thing that Kawhi is missing to be a stronger MVP candidate is more chest thumping or some other form of a public ego boosting. Maybe if he had a famous girlfriend and then sold TV rights of a their terrible breakup would do it too.

Better passing and the ability to make his teammates better on offense is what I want to see.

« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2017, 02:05:14 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
TP.  I've been in this boat for awhile.

« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2017, 02:13:04 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
LeBron. Last night we saw why (as though we needed more evidence). Sure, the other candidates' respective teams would each be much worse without them, but he's still the best player in the game, and the biggest draw.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis