0 (0%)
Isaiah Thomas
8 (11.4%)
John Wall
0 (0%)
Other
2 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Who Is Your Choice for 2016-2017 NBA MVP?  (Read 8521 times)

Re: Who Is Your Choice for 2016-2017 NBA MVP?
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2017, 07:31:25 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
James
Westbrook
Harden
Leonard
Thomas
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2017, 07:46:06 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
James
Westbrook
Harden
Leonard
Thomas

You're still picking LeBron despite how bad his team has been since the All-Star break?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2017, 07:48:57 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
James
Westbrook
Harden
Leonard
Thomas

You're still picking LeBron despite how bad his team has been since the All-Star break?
That's expected, it's moranis
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2017, 07:50:18 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
James
Westbrook
Harden
Leonard
Thomas

Yeah. Lebron has had a great season, underrated even, but despite having Kyrie and Love and being the defending champs, they are struggling to beat us out for the #1 seed. That doesn't earn you league MVP imo.

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2017, 07:54:52 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
James
Westbrook
Harden
Leonard
Thomas

At least he didn't pick Covington.

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2017, 07:56:26 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
James
Westbrook
Harden
Leonard
Thomas

At least he didn't pick Covington.
LOL
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2017, 08:20:46 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Harden, he's putting up numbers almost identical to Westbrook, but doing it much more efficiently. Just compare their usage percentages and you'll see why Harden has been the clearly better player.

Harden has also actually been a better defensive player this year too. People just seem to casually ignore the fact Westbrook has been slacking on that end of the court this year as badly as Harden has in the past.

I'd put Kawhi above Westbrook as well. His all around game deserves more credit than it gets.

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2017, 08:20:58 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Harden
Lebron
Leonard
WB
IT
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2017, 08:46:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
No player is as important to their team's success as Lebron is to any of his teams for over a decade. He is still the absolute best player on the planet. He should have won 8-10 MVPs already but like MJ before him, he hasn't because the voters just won't do it. Lebron is the MVP.

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2017, 08:47:46 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
James
Westbrook
Harden
Leonard
Thomas

Yeah. Lebron has had a great season, underrated even, but despite having Kyrie and Love and being the defending champs, they are struggling to beat us out for the #1 seed. That doesn't earn you league MVP imo.
The Cavs are absolutely terrible when James isn't on the court. He has by far the largest discrepancy in the league in the on/off Court numbers.  James is also setting career highs in both rpg and apg and is having a top 3 shooting season for his career.  You could realistically argue this is in fact James best season.  Couple that with the fact that he actually plays defense unlike both Harden and Westbrook and James gets my vote.

Let's not forget the only other time someone averaged a triple double someone else went for 50 and 23 and neither one of them was the league MVP.  That honor went to the guy that played on both ends of the floor i.e. Russell and Chamberlain and Robertson were both on top 4 teams as well so it wasn't just about winning.  Defense matters.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2017, 09:34:57 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I have to go with Harden. What Westbrook is doing with averaging a triple double is really cool, but it's not like his stats are markedly better. The Rockets are clearly a better team this year and that matters - not only because Harden is doing more for his team, but also he is putting up huge stats on a considerably better team, which is more difficult to do.

I also think that Harden got pretty ripped off a couple of years ago when Steph won his first MVP. I realize this should not factor in at all - luckily I am not a voter.

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2017, 09:40:31 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
No player is as important to their team's success as Lebron is to any of his teams for over a decade. He is still the absolute best player on the planet. He should have won 8-10 MVPs already but like MJ before him, he hasn't because the voters just won't do it. Lebron is the MVP.

I don't think that's what the award is, though.  It's not a recognition of which player is the most talented or who is at their best when giving full effort.  The history of the award doesn't square with the notion that it's meant to go to the agreed-upon alpha dog of the NBA.

The bottom line for me with LeBron and the MVP is that it's a regular season award and he very obviously is not playing at his full effort during the regular season.  He hasn't for a few years now.  I don't blame him at all for that, but I don't think he is the MVP of the league for the regular season.

He's certainly capable of playing great on both ends, but during the regular season he has operated mostly as an offensive star with limited defensive responsibilities.  His team doesn't have the personnel to get by on the defensive end without him in superstar mode on that side of things, which is why they aren't playing to their potential.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2017, 09:56:35 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
I'd go Harden/Kawhi.

It's definitely not Westbrook, if humans had 12 fingers instead of 10 nobody would care about the stupid arbitrary nature of triple doubles or his stat padding joke of a season.

His play style is a major reason Durant left, that is 10x more of a negative than anything he does for his team on the court.

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2017, 10:01:31 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
Id go I.T. before Kawhi if were even mentioning these individuals

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2017, 10:04:07 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

MVP of this season? Entertainment concidered. I have to go with Lavar Ball. :o