0 (0%)
Isaiah Thomas
8 (11.4%)
John Wall
0 (0%)
Other
2 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Who Is Your Choice for 2016-2017 NBA MVP?  (Read 8463 times)

Who Is Your Choice for 2016-2017 NBA MVP?
« on: April 04, 2017, 04:05:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Let's talk MVP.

Who should win the award for their performance in this regular season?  Why?

For additional points, explain how you see the MVP award and list the next 3-4 guys on your hypothetical "ballot."

For me, this question isn't that hard to answer.

In my view, the most sensible way to define MVP is to think of it as an award for the most outstanding individual performance over the course of the regular season by a player on a team with a plausible chance at winning the Finals.

My list of teams with a chance at a title (i.e. contenders) includes Golden State, San Antonio, Houston, Los Angeles, Cleveland, Washington, Boston, and Toronto. 

So yes, that leaves out Russell Westbrook, right off the bat.  Averaging a triple double is extremely impressive.  Setting aside his sheer production, the energy he expends on a nightly basis is unbelievable.  He is a force of nature, always playing at full speed.  Nevertheless, his team is just OK, and I'm not sure he how much he really makes the game easier for his teammates.

Out of the remaining options, I choose James Harden.

Curry has had a characteristically excellent season as the most important player on the best team in the league.  Kawhi has played elite defense while carrying the Spurs offense, and his team has the second best record in the league. 

Still, I think in terms of one player doing the most for his team and putting up historic numbers, Harden is the guy.  He combines his typical elite scoring with prolific playmaking, and his team is almost as potent offensively as the Warriors despite the fact that the second most dangerous scorer on the roster is Eric Gordon.  While I think Eric Gordon has had a nice season, he's nowhere close to Klay Thompson or Kevin Durant in terms of the danger he poses to a defense.

Who's your pick, and why?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Who Is Your Choice for 2016-2017 NBA MVP?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 04:26:43 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Ugh, this really is a tough decision this year. TP for the post as well btw.

For me, I have to give a slight edge to Westbrook, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Harden wins it (it really is that close of a race).

The thing is though, I just find it hard to see Westbrook not winning it considering he's averaging 32/10/11 (triple double machine).

Also, Westbrook has OKC at 43-33, which is not like some horrible record. He has that team in the playoffs. Although it is valid to consider MVP as someone who has their team in legit contention, 43-33 is not a bad record either and would also be around 4th or 5th in the East. Basically, he has OKC well in the thick of the playoff race, even if it's as a 6th seed in a competitive West.

I also see Harden having the better teammates and better shooters especially, which allows the offense to flow well, open up more space, and that also allows Harden to have more open looks IMO.

That being said, Westbrook is averaging about 24-25 shot attempts a game (with 42.5% FG), and Harden 19 shots attempts a game (44% FG), so that could be another factor.

It's a very close race, but I think Westbrook takes it.

Btw, HOU vs OKC could legitimately be a first round match up so that should be fun!
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 04:29:17 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Westbrook.

He's gonna average a triple double for a freakin' season & its not like he's doing it on a crap team either.  They're a playoff team.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 04:34:22 PM by Donoghus »

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 04:31:36 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Got to go with Harden because of team success and house he has evolved his game as a passer this year. That being said I wouldn't have any issue with Westbrook winning as he has single handedly stole and won numerous games for them this year alone. There second best player has been Oladipo and without looking at stats, it seems like Adams has been disappointing. I also believe they have played a bit better since getting some better role players in Gibson and McDermott.

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 04:31:52 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I've got Harden, Kawhi, Westbrook, and the Lebron in that order. When I think "most valuable" I think, "Who has contributed to winning the most?"

Lebron's numbers are amazing and his play has been incredible but given the talent on that team, they're underachieving.

Westbrook's triple double is astounding. I never, ever thought I'd see someone do that. But there's some stat chasing here that makes me uncomfortable. The numbers are worth marveling at but they feel artificially inflated when the entire team seems so concerned with getting him his numbers, rather than winning and letting the chips fall where they may. If his numbers weren't as good but he wasn't as intent on dominating every possession, I might be more inclined to vote for him. In terms of winning, when you look at the talent I think they have the record one would expect.

Kawhi's two-way game is amazing. The Spurs are the second best team in the league, he's clearly the best player, averaging 26 ppg with better efficiency than anyone else in the MVP conversation and he might be looking at a 3rd straight DPOY.

But I've gotta go Harden. He orchestrates everything Houston does on offense without the same overbearing stubbornness that Westbrook imposes on his team. Harden leads the league in assists but the rest of his team also puts up good assist numbers, telling me the ball is allowed to move around and find the best shot regardless of who touched it last. And while everyone is marveling at Wstbrook's triple double, let's not lose sight of the fact that Harden is averaging over 8 rebounds a game to go with his 29 and 11. 8 rebounds would lead the Celtics and he's doing that from the guard position. Very impressive in it's own right. And at the end of the day, I think Houston is overachieving with him at the helm.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 04:34:57 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
still between Westbrook and Harden for 1A/1B no particular order. Kahwi and LeBron at 3/4 respectively. Curry/KD at 5/6

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 04:37:09 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
For me it's clearly Westbrook, he's head and shoulders above the rest this season

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 04:38:29 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
1.) Harden, 2.) Kawhi for me

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 04:40:35 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
IT4 is #4 on my MVP list  8) :laugh:

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 04:41:22 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Kawhi. He's the only MVP candidate who has consistently contributed on both ends this season.

Lebron is having an underrated season, though. 26/9/9 with a nearly .600 eFG%.

Is Harden really almost averaging 6 turnovers per game?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 04:43:35 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Kawhi. He's the only MVP candidate who has consistently contributed on both ends this season.

Kawhi is really underrated IMO.

Baffles me some people out there don't consider him a Top-10 player.

But he's humble, plays at an elite level on BOTH ends of the court, and plays the game the right way IMO (no crying for fouls every possession, no cheap shots, etc.)

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 04:44:10 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I don't think the criteria of going to th Finals is ok. Playoff team, yes, Finals no.

Westbrook, hands down. We might not live to see a season like this again. As good as everyone else is, I could conceivably see someone else doing it again every season. Not so for Westbrook's performance his year.

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 04:48:13 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Is Harden really almost averaging 6 turnovers per game?

I love Kawhi -- he's my favorite player.  He's having an excellent season.

Still, I don't think it is quite on the same level of individual brilliance as a guy scoring almost 30 ppg while averaging well over 10 assists.

Harden does turn the ball over a lot, but he's also got more offensive responsibility than almost anybody in the league.  The Rockets are below average in terms of their turnover ratio, but it hasn't prevented them from destroying opponents offensively.

LeBron is having a very nice season, but he's not giving a lot of effort on the defensive end.  Harden isn't exactly quarterbacking a great defense, either, but his team is better offensively, and he arguably has less help.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 04:56:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Westbrook.

He's gonna average a triple double for a freakin' season & its not like he's doing it on a crap team either.  They're a playoff team.

I just really struggle with the fact that at the end of the day I'd be surprised if his team wins a playoff series.  He's an amazing player, but it's not like his presence alone makes the Thunder scary.

I think the reason is that while Westbrook does so many things while he's out on the floor, he doesn't really do it in the context of his team.  He's a one man wrecking crew, and there just happens to be four other guys out there with him.  Basketball is a team sport, and while Russ maximizes his own potential every night on the floor, he doesn't maximize the potential of his team.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2017, 04:58:06 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't think the criteria of going to th Finals is ok. Playoff team, yes, Finals no.

Westbrook, hands down. We might not live to see a season like this again. As good as everyone else is, I could conceivably see someone else doing it again every season. Not so for Westbrook's performance his year.

Lebron could average Westbrook numbers if he chased stats and disregarded efficiency.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes