Author Topic: 2017 Red Sox Thread  (Read 51111 times)

Re: 2017 Red Sox Reg. Season Thread
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2017, 10:16:09 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Last 3 games have been ABYSMAL for the Red Sox.

Outscored 36-9 the last 3 games which included a game Sale started.

Luckily NYY have gone 1-2 in that stretch so Sox still lead the division for now.

But also, Stanton has 49 HR. Hanley (our primary DH and "Ortiz replacement") has a whopping 49 RBI. SMH. And a batting average around .240. NOT CUTTING IT.

Now hopefully our real ace, Doug Fister, gets us out of this slump, but offense still needs to start heating up again. 3 runs combined in two games vs. 6 ERA pitchers in Hellickson and Gausman is also unacceptable.
Hanley is the second coming of JD Drew. He'll get his 20 HRs and 80 RBI, and it will be the most unimpactful 20/80 that you're going to see.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2017, 10:37:07 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Nice to see Pedroia back out there.

Ditto.

Doug Fister the stopper!

Fister has been pretty good over his last few starts. What a bonus—and what an even bigger bonus if he continues it in the playoffs.

What a joke the whole Sabathia drama is. I like baseball, but only in that sport would an athlete too fat and out of shape to field a basic play be allowed to last this long.

Baseball's obsession with "unwritten rules" is a joke, as is Sabathia's complaining. Some of these players act like the opposition is just supposed to roll over, regardless of the situation. I seem to remember that quite a few years ago, Curt Schilling (while with Arizona) got worked up because he was throwing a no-hitter and someone laid down a bunt for a hit. And I was like, "Uhh, the other team's trying to win too, and if they haven't been able to get any 'regular' hits, bunting is a legal and legitimate option."

Yeh.  I thought the announcers were kidding when they were suggesting Kluber was offended by Nunez swinging too hard!  Seriously?  He showed why he swings that hard the next at bat when he clubbed one over the fence.
Yup

« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2017, 10:43:08 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

Luckily NYY have gone 1-2 in that stretch so Sox still lead the division for now.

But also, Stanton has 49 HR. Hanley (our primary DH and "Ortiz replacement") has a whopping 49 RBI. SMH. And a batting average around .240. NOT CUTTING IT.

Now hopefully our real ace, Doug Fister, gets us out of this slump, but offense still needs to start heating up again. 3 runs combined in two games vs. 6 ERA pitchers in Hellickson and Gausman is also unacceptable.
Hanley is the second coming of JD Drew. He'll get his 20 HRs and 80 RBI, and it will be the most unimpactful 20/80 that you're going to see.

Everyone needs to calm down about Hanley.

He now has 23 HRs (4th in AL for DH), and there are plenty of games left. And he's been on a tear lately. He has a good playoffs and you'll change your tune.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2017, 09:35:44 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Fister the Stopper!
Yup

« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2017, 09:53:54 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

He now has 23 HRs (4th in AL for DH), and there are plenty of games left. And he's been on a tear lately. He has a good playoffs and you'll change your tune.
I also like Hanley. Think hes due to get hot down the stretch here.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2017, 11:55:12 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Fister the Stopper!

Should be nicknamed " The Human Butt-plug"
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2017, 01:17:49 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Hanley has an OPS of .758. That's the second lowers OPS of his career and is similar to what we get from Vasquez. Color me unimpressed.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2017, 01:25:18 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Hanley has an OPS of .758. That's the second lowers OPS of his career and is similar to what we get from Vasquez. Color me unimpressed.

Yeah, I like Hanley, but I can't bring myself to believe that he's had a decent year. The only real plus he's been for the team (statistically, not factoring in any intangibles) is in the power department. He's probably not going to reach 70 RBIs—maybe not even 65—and his WAR is -.2 (meaning he's a net loss to his team). I'd love to see him get going, but I'm not sure it'll happen.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2017, 02:09:08 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

That grand slam in 07 didn’t do it for you?
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2017, 11:02:20 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Fister the Stopper!

Guy looks a lot like our #3 playoff starter if they make the playoffs.

Possible even Game 2, but doubt it (that's for Pomeranz).

He's also had a 2.75 ERA the last 7 starts, after Price went on DL. NICE!  ;D

Forget #SaleDay, I think #DougDay is the new trend around here!  8)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2017, 08:19:56 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
13 games to go for both BOS and NYY (Boston currently have 3 game lead in division)

Even if Boston play .500 ball rest of way (so finish the season 7-6), the Yanks will have to go 10-3 to win the division. I'm just not seeing that happening for them.

But reality is, Sox control their destiny now and they need to keep it going one series at a time. Just keep winning!

#OnToBaltimore  8)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2017, 08:26:13 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
13 games to go for both BOS and NYY (Boston currently have 3 game lead in division)

Even if Boston play .500 ball rest of way (so finish the season 7-6), the Yanks will have to go 10-3 to win the division. I'm just not seeing that happening for them.

But reality is, Sox control their destiny now and they need to keep it going one series at a time. Just keep winning!

#OnToBaltimore  8)

They're basically a shoe-in for the playoffs at this point. My concern is that they'll keep playing average baseball and go nowhere in the postseason.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2017, 04:45:44 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I'm not optimistic the Red Sox will win the division. The Yankees have only 3 games left on the road, and they are tough to beat in Yankee stadium unless you have three left handed aces. Which the Red Sox do, but they aren't playing the Yankees and one of those aces, Price, has been relegated to bullpen duty in deference to stiffs like Fister. And Sale is not especially sharp right now. I see Price got 2 wasted shutout innings in relief--in a loss his first appearance back. Not much of a "stretch" to go 5 innings and start?

Sorry, I don't like Farrell and the rest of their field management. Dombrowski has done some good, but he didn't hire Farrell and the rest, and I doubt he has much leverage there. He'll pick the next manager and staff, which couldn't come any sooner.

Their strategy of going cheap and not replacing Ortiz has blown up in their faces. Devers and Nunez saved them lately from a collapse. But Henry wouldn't go over the luxury tax to get Encarnation, because they had wasted millions on bad contracts. Are they still paying Craig?

« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2017, 04:58:40 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I feel pretty good that the Red Sox will win enough games to take the division.

I have no problem with Farrell.  He is not winning them games with great strategy (what manager does) but I don't feel he is losing games either.   It was Terry Francona who said the manager gets too much blame when they lose and too much credit when they win.

Hanley is not having a good year no matter how you try to spin it.  I think there is something significant wrong with his shoulder.  Too bad, we need that type of bat.

Price will help in the playoffs.  A reliever can be a playoff series MVP with only pitching 2 or 3 innings at a time.  We would be the favorites in the AL if he was healthy and a regular starter but we still are right in this as is.

« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2017, 12:01:48 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Big win tonight
Yup