Author Topic: 2017 Red Sox Thread  (Read 51107 times)

Re: 2017 Red Sox Reg. Season Thread
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2017, 02:39:42 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Errr, any particular reason you guys keep bringing up the 2014 Red Sox? The 2013 Red Sox team that won the World Series seems like it would fit in better

I usually expect better out of you, BJ. It couldn't have been a typo, or anything. I'm sure glad you were here to point out a small mistake.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 04:44:27 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2017, 06:07:43 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Just wanted to post an update since last week everybody was ready to jump off of the proverbial cliff.

The Red Sox have won their last 4 games - including 5 of their last 6.
The Yankees have lost their last 4 games - including 5 of their last 6.
The Red Sox now lead the division by 3 games.

This doesn't mean the Red Sox are ready to run away with the division, just to show that the baseball season is REALLY long and teams go through peaks and valleys. Hopefully the Sox can keep this upward trajectory and head into the postseason as the division winners rather than have to compete as a wildcard team (or fail miserably and miss the playoffs altogether!).

Yep, well said. Now Red Sox have won 6 straight!   ;D

Too bad the Yankees won the past 2 games, and the entire division (minus Jays) won today (UGH), but over the course of the past 4 games, the Red Sox have gained like 2 games on every team.  8)

Addison Reed has looked stellar so far. I know he gave up the HR in his Red Sox debut on just his 2nd pitch, but that was the only bad pitch I've seen so far out of him, and trust me, it's NOT EASY to switch teams within a few days and still pitch very well. Since the HR, Reed has looked lights out.

And how about Nunez! I knew he would come in and provide some hits (guy was hitting .300+ before he got here), but wow, his defense (biggest weakness) has actually been okay/solid, but HIS POWER has been unbelievable. Devers and Nunez BIG reasons this team is streaking now. Nunez had 4 HR all season with SF, now has 4 in just 9 games with Boston. I think Fenway Park suits his skills a lot better than the pitcher-friendly confines of AT&T Park.

And honestly, you couldn't have asked for more from Fister since Price went back on the DL. Last 2 games, he's 2-0 with a 3.21 ERA (14 innings, 5 runs), 12Ks, and not many walks. This included a GEM against probably the 2nd (or 3rd) best team in the entire AL.

This upcoming week will be a HUGE stretch though. 2 games against TB, and 3 against the Yankees. Sox need to take advantage, but they better not get swept by either team at least LOL. :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2017, 10:47:15 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Things sure have changed since the trade deadline. Dombrowski is coming up roses with Devers, Reed and Nunez. Except for Thornburg, he's done a very good job with trades and FAs. They are still, however, hamstrung by bad deals of Cherington/Henry, which limits their spending unless Henry wants to pay luxury tax.

Heck, even Fister has turned it around the last couple starts. The lineup has joined in the hitting with Nunez and Devers, who initially sparked the team. Pomeranz is looking as good as Sale (!) Now if Price comes around, they'll run away with the AL East, and quiet all the Yankee hype on MLB network.

« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2017, 11:47:48 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Red sox are killing it

« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2017, 07:29:23 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Things sure have changed since the trade deadline. Dombrowski is coming up roses with Devers, Reed and Nunez. Except for Thornburg, he's done a very good job with trades and FAs. They are still, however, hamstrung by bad deals of Cherington/Henry, which limits their spending unless Henry wants to pay luxury tax.

Heck, even Fister has turned it around the last couple starts. The lineup has joined in the hitting with Nunez and Devers, who initially sparked the team. Pomeranz is looking as good as Sale (!) Now if Price comes around, they'll run away with the AL East, and quiet all the Yankee hype on MLB network.

My biggest issue with DD is he sometimes overpays unnecessarily in some deals (like for Kimbrel, could have gotten him for 3 prospects, instead traded 4), then gave up a Top-15 prospect in all of MLB for Pomeranz (which looks better not but was real head-scratching last season). Also, now gives up 3 prospects for a rental (seems a bit hefty). Slowly could be turning us into the new Detroit Tigers with no farm, some bad contracts. Hopefully the Sox can win a World Series sometime within the next 3-4 years... something DET couldn't do with Dombrowski.

That being said, I think the Sox may be willing to go past the luxury tax next year. Their penalties will be a lot less since they avoided going over the tax this year and last. Plus they will have many contracts coming off the books after next season and the 2019 season (Moreland, Young, Sandoval - THANK GOD, Porcello, Hanley, etc). They can probably afford a luxury tax year next year as a result and with a huge 2018 class coming in FA (Harper, Donaldson, Machado, etc. etc.), Sox could look to pounce there as well as work on extensions for some current guys (Betts, JBJ, etc.).

« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2017, 08:50:50 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Good game so far today

« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2017, 11:59:19 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Good game so far today

Good outing from Porcello and the pen. Sox benefitted from some Tampa Bay blunders (hey, maybe that should be their team name!), but I'll take it.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2017, 12:18:36 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Overon SoSH they all jokingly attribute the wins to having meat-themed game threads.  ;D

Maybe we need those for our Celtics.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2017, 12:28:00 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

My biggest issue with DD is he sometimes overpays unnecessarily in some deals (like for Kimbrel, could have gotten him for 3 prospects, instead traded 4), then gave up a Top-15 prospect in all of MLB for Pomeranz (which looks better not but was real head-scratching last season). Also, now gives up 3 prospects for a rental (seems a bit hefty). Slowly could be turning us into the new Detroit Tigers with no farm, some bad contracts. Hopefully the Sox can win a World Series sometime within the next 3-4 years... something DET couldn't do with Dombrowski.

That being said, I think the Sox may be willing to go past the luxury tax next year. Their penalties will be a lot less since they avoided going over the tax this year and last. Plus they will have many contracts coming off the books after next season and the 2019 season (Moreland, Young, Sandoval - THANK GOD, Porcello, Hanley, etc). They can probably afford a luxury tax year next year as a result and with a huge 2018 class coming in FA (Harper, Donaldson, Machado, etc. etc.), Sox could look to pounce there as well as work on extensions for some current guys (Betts, JBJ, etc.).
Agree with everything except the Nunez trade. They gave up 3 average prospects for an excellent utility player that we desperately needed. And so far Nunez has looked like an all star, he's tearing the cover off the ball. And in my opinion I always go for quality over quanity when regarding prospect trades, so I'm glad we didn't give up 1 of our top guys for him.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2017, 11:32:39 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
So in what's been a pretty crazy season for the Red Sox... Doug Fister just threw a complete game 1-hitter, on the road, against the reigning AL Champs who happen to be another Cleveland team.

So now, Kyrie Irving and Doug Fister are the two most trending Boston sports athletes right now LOL.

After that AWFUL Irving trade the Celtics did, I needed good news and the Red Sox offense (+Fister) delivered tonight!

« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2017, 12:31:29 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Last 3 games have been ABYSMAL for the Red Sox.

Outscored 36-9 the last 3 games which included a game Sale started.

Luckily NYY have gone 1-2 in that stretch so Sox still lead the division for now.

But also, Stanton has 49 HR. Hanley (our primary DH and "Ortiz replacement") has a whopping 49 RBI. SMH. And a batting average around .240. NOT CUTTING IT.

Now hopefully our real ace, Doug Fister, gets us out of this slump, but offense still needs to start heating up again. 3 runs combined in two games vs. 6 ERA pitchers in Hellickson and Gausman is also unacceptable.

« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2017, 09:10:10 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Nice to see Pedroia back out there.

Doug Fister the stopper!
Yup

« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2017, 10:02:38 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
What a joke the whole Sabathia drama is. I like baseball, but only in that sport would an athlete too fat and out of shape to field a basic play be allowed to last this long.

« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2017, 10:13:16 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
What a joke the whole Sabathia drama is. I like baseball, but only in that sport would an athlete too fat and out of shape to field a basic play be allowed to last this long.

I beg to differ (though they're definitely in better condition I'd guess)

Yup

« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2017, 10:15:23 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Nice to see Pedroia back out there.

Ditto.

Doug Fister the stopper!

Fister has been pretty good over his last few starts. What a bonus—and what an even bigger bonus if he continues it in the playoffs.

Baseball's obsession with "unwritten rules" is a joke, as is Sabathia's complaining. Some of these players act like the opposition is just supposed to roll over, regardless of the situation. I seem to remember that quite a few years ago, Curt Schilling (while with Arizona) got worked up because he was throwing a no-hitter and someone laid down a bunt for a hit. And I was like, "Uhh, the other team's trying to win too, and if they haven't been able to get any 'regular' hits, bunting is a legal and legitimate option."
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis