Author Topic: 2017 Red Sox Thread  (Read 51117 times)

Re: 2017 Red Sox Reg. Season Thread
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2017, 10:54:22 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
(failure to get a setup guy after trying twice with Smith and Thornburg)
At this point, between these and Price one has to ask themselves why multiple pitchers have come down with arm/elbow issues shortly after joining the team. There was some talk about the throwing program being full of crap but that got swept under the rug quicker than you can say "tommy john".

And the management apologized to Eck--a slap in the face to the players who supported Price.)
Of course they did. Someone has to be the adult in the room and it seems it won't be Farrell and his band of crybabies.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2017, 11:02:36 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
At this point, between these and Price one has to ask themselves why multiple pitchers have come down with arm/elbow issues shortly after joining the team. There was some talk about the throwing program being full of crap but that got swept under the rug quicker than you can say "tommy john".

And the management apologized to Eck--a slap in the face to the players who supported Price.)
Of course they did. Someone has to be the adult in the room and it seems it won't be Farrell and his band of crybabies.

I'm pretty tired of Price's act. His first 1/2 season in Boston he was terrible, then he starts off this season injured, then opens his mouth when all Eck did was speak the truth—E-Rod has indeed been yuck this season. Price needs to keep quiet and focus on his game.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2017, 11:25:03 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

I'm pretty tired of Price's act. His first 1/2 season in Boston he was terrible, then he starts off this season injured, then opens his mouth when all Eck did was speak the truth—E-Rod has indeed been yuck this season. Price needs to keep quiet and focus on his game.

I am waaay more tired of the local "sports media" (ie TMZ). They would rather focus on two men having a verbal scuffle a month ago than what is happening in the sports world. Belaboring the point to guys like Dombrowski, Farrell, and Pedroia reeks of click bait.

I would rather hear about what 5th graders aren't getting along at the local school. I would rather hear about how the Red Sox team is doing and how they can improve.

Bill Belichick would have a field day on this media: talk about guys who are playing, and not about the guys on the DL.

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2017, 12:20:11 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Addison Reed to the rescue
Yup

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2017, 12:37:42 PM »

• Satch Sanders

But can he hit? ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2017, 02:02:06 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Throwing a baseball overhand nearly 100 mph repeatedly for a few years will do that. Check the injury report for all the other MLB teams.

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2017, 02:20:53 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Throwing a baseball overhand nearly 100 mph repeatedly for a few years will do that. Check the injury report for all the other MLB teams.
Carson Smith is a sidearm pitcher who throws a 92 mph fastball. Also, less than half of his pitches are fastballs...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2017, 02:25:43 PM »

• Satch Sanders

Sure, except that no other team (as far as I know) acquired a key setup man, two years running, only to have both players suffer a significant injury before their Sox career really got started (Smith pitched a whopping 2 2/3 innings, Thornburg 0). That's not something that happens a lot, and it's had a big negative affect on the Sox.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2017, 02:36:08 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Ask and you shall receive.

...bad ownership (Henry refuses to pay luxury tax while his competition, the Yankees, laugh at it)

What are you talking about? Payrolls seems to vary according to what site you visit, but the Red Sox are strongly entrenched in 3rd, just behind the Yankees. There is definitely an argument to be made about how the money should be spent, but complaining that the Red Sox don't spend enough money comes off as sounding very spoiled. Almost every other team would love to have the money and resources that the Sox have.

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2017, 07:24:27 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

I agree that Price should shut up. It just provides fodder for the media--what they make their living on. I also think Eck is now a media guy, and his HOF credentials have nothing to do with this. His criticism of ERod rehab was groundless. Apparently, some of the Red Sox are sensitive to his criticisms. I can't blame them. Maybe he isn't cut out for this job.

I think the management was gutless for not supporting their players. The players maybe are reacting to that by not giving a [dang]. Belichick would never do that. He eats the media for lunch, regardless of whether they pay the bills or not.

I agree with the comment about so many pitchers traded for and coming down with arm injuries. Is it the Red Sox conditioning program? The media isn't asking. Henry seems to be in their pocket, since he owns the Globe. Conflict of interest? The media isn't asking.

As for Farrell, I see they took the 8th inning away from him by trading for Reed. Good move, since he's cost them at least 5 games with bad 8th inning moves . Like yesterday, replacing Workman to start the 8th. What you call an unforced error.

But I do give Farrell credit for supporting his players on Price-Eck. Doubt he and that pitching coach of his will be back next year. Don't see them in the playoffs, even with Reed.

« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2017, 07:34:31 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell

...bad ownership (Henry refuses to pay luxury tax while his competition, the Yankees, laugh at it)

What are you talking about? Payrolls seems to vary according to what site you visit, but the Red Sox are strongly entrenched in 3rd, just behind the Yankees. There is definitely an argument to be made about how the money should be spent, but complaining that the Red Sox don't spend enough money comes off as sounding very spoiled. Almost every other team would love to have the money and resources that the Sox have.

The Red Sox problem is they have spent a lot of their money poorly (Craig, Panda, Castillo, Smith, Thornburg trades, etc). And have damaged some guys playing them out of position in LF(Swihart, Hanley).That has put them in a hole where they can't spend much more unless they want to pay the luxury tax. And Henry won't do that. The Yankees? The luxury tax is a joke to them. Always has been. They see an opening here, and have turned on the afterburners. Good for them. I like Girardi better than Farrell anyways. The Yanks have paid over a billion dollars in luxury taxes since the start of it, and they ain't stopping if they think they can win.

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2017, 09:48:40 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones

The Red Sox problem is they have spent a lot of their money poorly (Craig, Panda, Castillo, Smith, Thornburg trades, etc). And have damaged some guys playing them out of position in LF(Swihart, Hanley).That has put them in a hole where they can't spend much more unless they want to pay the luxury tax. And Henry won't do that. The Yankees? The luxury tax is a joke to them. Always has been. They see an opening here, and have turned on the afterburners. Good for them. I like Girardi better than Farrell anyways. The Yanks have paid over a billion dollars in luxury taxes since the start of it, and they ain't stopping if they think they can win.

No disagreement there, but it is hard not to like any other manager better than Farrell. I suppose he deserves some credit for the miraculous 2014 WS championship team, but it has been time to move on for a while now.

Frankly, I wish the MLB would adopt similar payroll restrictions to sports like the NBA or NFL. This would certainly not work out in the Red Sox favor, but blindly spending tens of millions of dollars on perennial losers isn't helping our cause. Our payroll (and dead money) is stocked with crappy/overrated players. Like $80M/yr alone is locked up in Price, Hanley, and Sandoval. It's embarrassing. And it's not like Porcello has been tearing it up with his $20M+/yr contract. That is over $100M/yr for just those four guys.

Our best players don't even make any money - it's crazy.

« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2017, 11:20:45 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell

No disagreement there, but it is hard not to like any other manager better than Farrell. I suppose he deserves some credit for the miraculous 2014 WS championship team, but it has been time to move on for a while now.

Frankly, I wish the MLB would adopt similar payroll restrictions to sports like the NBA or NFL. This would certainly not work out in the Red Sox favor, but blindly spending tens of millions of dollars on perennial losers isn't helping our cause. Our payroll (and dead money) is stocked with crappy/overrated players. Like $80M/yr alone is locked up in Price, Hanley, and Sandoval. It's embarrassing. And it's not like Porcello has been tearing it up with his $20M+/yr contract. That is over $100M/yr for just those four guys.

Yeah, MLB is built for big markets with no salary cap. Steinbrenner's Yankees capitalized on that, and now the latest Yankee actions indicate they are set to repeat it. Very clever what they did--bought a couple of stud closers as FAs (Miller, Chapman), then traded them for prospects to rejuvenate their farm system. Then re-signed Chapman back. Clever, indeed.

Ben Cherington was no match for Cashman. Poor Ben was in over his head after lucky '14. He did nothing right after that. Neither did Henry, except for hiring Dombrowski as soon as he became available. DD has been good, except for bad luck with Smith and Thornburg. The lack of a setup guy has killed them this year, as Farrell can't seem to make a correct pitching decision in the 8th inning. That has been effectively taken out of his hands with the trade for setup guy Reed.

I'm slightly more optimistic than before the Reed deal, but I think the Yankees have seized the day and will be tough to overcome. They smelled blood and are going for the jugular. They also get tons of media support in the networks. The Red Sox in high gear are still the class of the East, but Farrell is a liability who costs them games.

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2017, 12:12:23 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
Just wanted to post an update since last week everybody was ready to jump off of the proverbial cliff.

The Red Sox have won their last 4 games - including 5 of their last 6.
The Yankees have lost their last 4 games - including 5 of their last 6.
The Red Sox now lead the division by 3 games.

This doesn't mean the Red Sox are ready to run away with the division, just to show that the baseball season is REALLY long and teams go through peaks and valleys. Hopefully the Sox can keep this upward trajectory and head into the postseason as the division winners rather than have to compete as a wildcard team (or fail miserably and miss the playoffs altogether!).

« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2017, 12:36:42 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Yeah, MLB is built for big markets with no salary cap. Steinbrenner's Yankees capitalized on that, and now the latest Yankee actions indicate they are set to repeat it. Very clever what they did--bought a couple of stud closers as FAs (Miller, Chapman), then traded them for prospects to rejuvenate their farm system. Then re-signed Chapman back. Clever, indeed.

Ben Cherington was no match for Cashman. Poor Ben was in over his head after lucky '14. He did nothing right after that. Neither did Henry, except for hiring Dombrowski as soon as he became available. DD has been good, except for bad luck with Smith and Thornburg. The lack of a setup guy has killed them this year, as Farrell can't seem to make a correct pitching decision in the 8th inning. That has been effectively taken out of his hands with the trade for setup guy Reed.

I'm slightly more optimistic than before the Reed deal, but I think the Yankees have seized the day and will be tough to overcome. They smelled blood and are going for the jugular. They also get tons of media support in the networks. The Red Sox in high gear are still the class of the East, but Farrell is a liability who costs them games.

Errr, any particular reason you guys keep bringing up the 2014 Red Sox? The 2013 Red Sox team that won the World Series seems like it would fit in better
I'm bitter.