Author Topic: 2017 Red Sox Thread  (Read 51137 times)

Re: 2017 Red Sox Thread
« Reply #150 on: October 09, 2017, 04:46:25 PM »

Offline dwlefty13

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 3
Last inning, need a miracle. Would be a shame to lose this after all their opportunities in this game.
Let's Go Celtics!!

« Reply #151 on: October 09, 2017, 04:59:20 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Last inning, need a miracle. Would be a shame to lose this after all their opportunities in this game.

A missed opportunity. Thats how I would sum up the whole season.

« Reply #152 on: October 09, 2017, 05:07:30 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

Really? Sounds kinda whiny.

Esp considering Devers just hit an inside the park HR.

I don't have much perspective on this season (they're still playing baseball), but it certainly wouldn't be negative. I think this young team had moments of growing pains (esp at the plate), but the trajectory is onward and up.

They won the AL East twice in a row for the first time... ever. They acquired Sale, a top 3 pitcher in baseball. Drew Pomeranz looked good, as did Devers and Benitendi. We know Betts is still a stud (despite a sophomore slump), and we got rid of the whole Panda debacle.

Going forward, they still have some decisions to make...

David Price?
Dustin Pedroia?
Rusney Castillo?!?!

« Reply #153 on: October 09, 2017, 05:33:25 PM »

Offline dwlefty13

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 3

I don't have much perspective on this season (they're still playing baseball), but it certainly wouldn't be negative. I think this young team had moments of growing pains (esp at the plate), but the trajectory is onward and up.

They won the AL East twice in a row for the first time... ever. They acquired Sale, a top 3 pitcher in baseball. Drew Pomeranz looked good, as did Devers and Benitendi. We know Betts is still a stud (despite a sophomore slump), and we got rid of the whole Panda debacle.

David Price?
Dustin Pedroia?
Rusney Castillo?!?!

I agree on the gist. I wouldn't say it was a missed opportunity of a season but a "what could have been" season. Considering what was supposed to be elite starting pitching that turned out not to be, combined with the consistent offensive struggles all year from the lack of a David Ortiz esque powerbat to keep opposing pitchers honest, the Red Sox clawed to 93 wins. It never seemed like everything clicked at the same time this year. Either bats were hot or the rotation was solid, not both simultaneously at its best.

I think this team has a lot of questions to answer moving forward. Do you continue the youth movement of a Betts, JBJ, Benintendi, Bogaerts, Devers, etc. or decide to enter WS contenders two of these guys need to be traded for power bats like Stanton? The unfortunate part is that they are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Must of their assets have already been traded from the farm and anymore trades deplete flexiblity later to get better.
Let's Go Celtics!!

« Reply #154 on: October 09, 2017, 05:42:26 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

David Price?
Dustin Pedroia?
Rusney Castillo?!?!

David Price is his own decision, player opt-in, right?

The team is in a good position, but as is can't quite contend with an elite lineup like Houston. Aside from Devers and Betts, it was a team full of .750-.800 OPS hitters. Gonna need improvements from homegrown young players like Benintendi and Bogaerts, who finally showed life again today. Gonna need real middle-of-the-lineup hitters at 1B and DH, real sluggers, not mediocrities like Moreland and Ramirez. Maybe improve CF, too, if Bradley has hit his ceiling as a hitter. Gonna need health from Pedroia, who has 4 years and 56 million left on his contract. But overall, in a good position.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #155 on: October 09, 2017, 05:50:25 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'd feel more optimistic about the future of the team if they had a single starter who had given them a single quality start in the playoffs the last two years.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #156 on: October 09, 2017, 06:01:08 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I'd feel more optimistic about the future of the team if they had a single starter who had given them a single quality start in the playoffs the last two years.

Small samples. We have three pitchers who ought to be reliable for quality or better starts. Pitching isn't a problem. It's our near-anemic lineup.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #157 on: October 09, 2017, 06:36:57 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Small samples. We have three pitchers who ought to be reliable for quality or better starts. Pitching isn't a problem. It's our near-anemic lineup.
Well, you only get a small sample to prove yourself in the playoffs, so there's that. Other teams somehow manage.

I don't think the "anemic" lineup is losing you games when you're giving up 26 runs in 3 games.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #158 on: October 09, 2017, 06:37:32 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

I have to agree, it's kind of pathetic when 3 of the starters couldn't even go more than 3 innings, and the only guy who went 5 innings (Sale) gave up 7 runs in the process.

Now that's clearly NOT the ONLY reason they lost the series, and Sale did do well out of the BP today, but lets be real, you aren't going far in a playoffs without good pitching, and without Price and Sale out of the BP, it would have been even more ugly.

For example, with as stacked as the Indians and Dodgers are, do you really think either are winning a World Series if all their starters go LESS than 4 innings and give up many runs in the process. Possibly, but very unlikely tbh.

Kimbrel giving up that 5th run though was killer... otherwise we're probably in extra innings now. Sad.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #159 on: October 09, 2017, 09:25:43 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I think Houston is a buzzsaw right now, and they're my favorite to win it all. The Red Sox were good, not great this year. I don't think many picked them to win the WS this year, but they did show that they could win 93 games without their best players playing their best.

« Reply #160 on: October 11, 2017, 05:35:35 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Going to the game today, just looking for a some heart and a fight from the Red Sox.

Farrell needs to be fired the moment this series is over!! I will drive him to Logan myself amd give him $50 for baggage claim. Tired of his nonchalant management style. Bye Farrell.

He has looked passive and afraid since 2014. Pretty weird.

I would have fired him a couple years ago, but his health situation put the team in an awkward spot - a lot like Chuck Pagano in Indy right now. Not surprised at all this team is cowed and failing in big spots.

I would have much preferred to keep Torey Lovullo.
Dissapointing FO deserves its disappointing team. Torey Lovullo will get serious consideration for Manager of the Year this season, and it's not like he was some big secret given his run with us. But we couldn't keep him because you just can't fire Johnny F. SMH.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #161 on: October 11, 2017, 09:34:26 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Well, Farrell just got canned.

Red Sox‏Verified account
@RedSox

The #RedSox announced today that John Farrell will not return as manager in 2018. A search for a new manager will begin immediately.
6:28 AM - 11 Oct 2017

His Q rating must've really dropped with the NESN people.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #162 on: October 11, 2017, 10:45:16 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Well, Farrell just got canned.

Red Sox‏Verified account
@RedSox

The #RedSox announced today that John Farrell will not return as manager in 2018. A search for a new manager will begin immediately.
6:28 AM - 11 Oct 2017

His Q rating must've really dropped with the NESN people.

I know many of my fellow Red Sox fans will trash him, but not me today.

Thank you Farrell for the 2013 World Series and winning back to back division titles for the first time in franchise history!

Best of luck in the future, and it's just unfortunate how the last few postseasons have ended (not entirely Farrell's fault... yeah he was a part of it but it was mostly that the players just vastly underperformed another year in the ALDS).

I have a feeling this Red Sox offseason will be EVEN WILDER than the Celtics one  :o

Have a weak farm system but this is Dombrowski we're talking about LOL.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #163 on: October 11, 2017, 11:33:15 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The 2013 World Series was a fluke.  In retrospect seems like it had more to do with that mix of veteran players (Napoli, Ortiz, Victorino, Gomes, Salty, Lester, Lackey, Peavey, Uehara, etc).

Man, looking back at that team, just four years ago, there are so many key personalities on that team that are long gone!

I've never been impressed by Farrell.

The Sox are a young, young team with a super high payroll mostly concentrated in players who have contributed little to nothing to their last two playoff appearances.

Not enough power, not enough reliable pitching.

Need a fairly major overhaul.  Betts, Benintendi, Devers, Bogaerts ... maybe Bradley.  That's the future.  Lots of small-ball hitting and solid defense.  But where do you get the power?  Who pitches?  Who leads the team?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #164 on: October 11, 2017, 11:51:17 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Granted, I don't follow baseball as closely, but I really hope they DON'T do a massive roster overhaul. They generally have very young position players, many of whom underperformed a bit this year, and still won a tough division. Sale then gets rocked in game 1 and they lose a 5 game series 3-1. Who knows how it turns out if you play that series a dozen times?

I'm sick of seeing Rizzo for Gonzalez type moves. Stick with the roster, change the management, make some small changes, and allow for development.

Oh, and lets just forget trying the Crawford/Hanley/Panda type free agent signings.