Poll

First Round: Utah Vs. LAC - Who Are You Rooting For?

Utah Jazz
8 (42.1%)
Los Angeles Clippers
8 (42.1%)
Don't Care (Don't Want Either This Summer)
0 (0%)
Doesn't Matter. They Are Both 100% Staying Regardless
3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: In A Possible Utah vs. LAC First Round Series. Who Do We "Root For"?  (Read 1722 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
You know, with Griffin and Hayward being potential FA's this summer and the top ones available (unless somehow guys like KD or Lowry become available - which is like a .000001% chance).

Rooting for Utah means hoping Griffin decides to leave, and rooting for LAC means hoping Hayward decides to leave.

My Quick Take: Root for LAC. Because lets be honest, they likely aren't beating Golden State in the 2nd round, and there's another second round exit for that team (making Griffin likely think hard about leaving if he cares about winning - and we don't know exactly). Meanwhile, Hayward is a solid Plan B option and an underwhelming first round exit for Utah should really help our case.

Of course, we have to hope the Celtics make some noise in the playoffs (at least make the second round), but if they hold a #1 or #2 seed and win a playoff series or two, combine that with the Clips/Jazz "playoff failures" and it could make the two players more available in a sense this summer.

What do you guys think?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Clippers. No way Griffin is coming here this summer, but Hayward might.

Also, gotta root for Paul Pierce, 39 year old end of bench player and all, he's still our Paul Pierce.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Clippers. No way Griffin is coming here this summer, but Hayward might.

Also, gotta root for Paul Pierce, 39 year old end of bench player and all, he's still our Paul Pierce.

TP. Right, have to root for PP34 as well!  ;D

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The Jazz, because I like the Jazz and never really cared for the Clippers.

I'm of the opinion that Hayward is pretty unlikely to leave Utah.  I could see the Clips going through some pretty drastic changes if they fail to get out of the 1st round.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I'm of the opinion that Hayward is pretty unlikely to leave Utah.  I could see the Clips going through some pretty drastic changes if they fail to get out of the 1st round.

Makes sense.

I know we've seen it not work before (DeAndre Jordan for example), but CP3 says he's most likely staying, and if they trade for Carmelo, then Griffin might be willing to stay as well.

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

This is exactly my position. The Hayward hype is out of hand at the moment. Whereas I see Griffin as another brainer for a max contract I'm mightily unsure over Hayward, I also really doubt he leaves the strongest young team in the West.

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Agreed.  Two straight first round exits could lead to Doc being ousted and Griffin looking for greener pastures (ones that let him better show off his passing and inside game - aka teams with great ball movement and spacing)
I'm bitter.

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Clips, primarily out of a compassion for my annually disappointed friend that has been their avid fan since Blake came into the league.
Secondarily it would make GH more available if we choose to sign him.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Agreed.  Two straight first round exits could lead to Doc being ousted and Griffin looking for greener pastures (ones that let him better show off his passing and inside game - aka teams with great ball movement and spacing)

I agree, our system is a much better fit for him.

I think signing Griffin would also largely improve what we get from Al Horford at the 5.  A fellow big who can pass and handle the ball is exactly what he needs, and it would open up a ton of options for Brad in terms of them both being able to play the high-low game.  The more we play through our bigs, the more wide open inside-out 3s we're going to get, and as we all know those are the exact shots Brad wants.

I just could only imagine our offense if we inserted a triple threat like Griffin in for Amir Johnson, who is in all essence, not a threat to drive, dish, or shoot.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!
I'm bumping this thread because thinking about this last night things are playing out well. The best outcome as was mentioned above would be the Clippers winning and then getting smoked by GS in the 2nd round. Wouldn't be opposed to going after either player but Blake would be my preference. He feels a huge need and would be really nice next to Horford. A scoring wing would be more easily attainable then a big of Griffin's caliber via trade.

This off season will be the biggest in quite some time in Boston. Can't wait.  :)

Re: In A Possible Utah vs. LAC First Round Series. Who Do We "Root For"?
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 12:50:59 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I'm bumping this thread because thinking about this last night things are playing out well. The best outcome as was mentioned above would be the Clippers winning and then getting smoked by GS in the 2nd round. Wouldn't be opposed to going after either player but Blake would be my preference. He feels a huge need and would be really nice next to Horford. A scoring wing would be more easily attainable then a big of Griffin's caliber via trade.

This off season will be the biggest in quite some time in Boston. Can't wait.  :)

Also, this post-season will be the biggest in some time in Boston.

And, this draft will be the biggest in some time in Boston.

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 01:12:26 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
I still think we have a better chance of Griffin than most people think, and another early exit would only bolster those chances. Further, I think we have a really, really good shot of signing Hayward this summer, too, if we even want to invest that much in him.

That being said, I'm MUCH, MUCH more interested in signing someone like Griffin than Hayward due to our positional needs, so I'm going to say I hope for a Utah win in the first round and a sweep in the second round.

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 05:30:41 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Griffin is magical but I'm afraid of his injuries.

Those who go to Clippers games say that his athleticism is down a couple of notches.

And he doesn't space all that much.

I think Hayward is safer and will contribute better to the steady incremental progress that Brad loves.

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 07:48:48 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I'm rooting for the Clips. Not because of Hayward or Griffin. Honestly, I'd be happy with either one. But I'm rooting for the Truth!!
- LilRip