Poll

Every day we get a slew of "trade IT" ideas. Is this a vocal minority, or does a substantial portion of this blog actually see an IT trade as a legit possibility?

Isaiah Thomas will not be traded this summer.
54 (84.4%)
I expect (or would not be surprised) to see Isaiah Thomas traded this summer.
10 (15.6%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: Do you actually believe Isaiah Thomas will be traded this offseason?  (Read 6352 times)

Re: Do you actually believe Isaiah Thomas will be traded this offseason?
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2017, 06:57:05 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
yeah, I made the poll to confirm that most of the blog didnt actually believe this.

Im hoping to put an end to the "trade IT" stuff by illustrating that its just not gonna happen.

But I suppose with this poll Im only contributing to the mess.
Yet another ridiculous get IT out of Boston thread.

IT is getting the max. It would be a black eye on the organization if they turned around kicked this guy out of town after he, by himself, has basically made this team a 50 plus win team and a playoff team. It's not a good look to other FAs and I do not think this front office and ownership group would ever do that.

IT will never be a good defensive player due to his size. But everything else he does far outweighs that. He's the reason the C's are any good quite simply put.

I swear,  I think some people here would rather the C's be continually rebuilding like the 76ers than actually adding to this core and competing.
did you read the thread or even look at the poll?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2017, 07:14:37 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
All depends on extension getting done. Same could be said about AB and Smart though.

No it doesn't.  IT is signed for next season.  He does not need an extension this offseason.  He can play out his contract and the Celtics can either re-sign him or let him sign with another team.  There is nothing wrong with that.
For the poll it does matter. It ask what we think. I wouldn't be surprised to see IT traded if he doesn't agree to an extension. Same for AB and Smart. Don't feel DA knowing their trade value will just wait on FA and hope to retain all three.

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2017, 07:15:42 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I'm in the "wouldn't be surprised" camp, if the Celtics wind up with the #1 pick. But Danny would only do it if he could get fair value for Thomas, which I'm not sure he could given the circumstances. I'd say it's more likely he stays but I wouldn't be shocked if he's shipped out.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2017, 07:38:01 PM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
Ainge will trade anyone, so I won't be surprised.

I'm pessimistic about how he will do in the playoffs. I hope I'm wrong obviously, but I have a bad feeling that the Celtics' deficiencies - and Thomas's in particular - are going to be exploited in the postseason.

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2017, 02:20:06 AM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28
God, let's hope and pray Danny Ainge pulls the trigger and trades Isaiah.  We got Fultz or Ball coming aboard, we don't need a five foot seven defensive sieve on the team anymore.

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2017, 05:23:29 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
All depends on extension getting done. Same could be said about AB and Smart though.

No it doesn't.  IT is signed for next season.  He does not need an extension this offseason.  He can play out his contract and the Celtics can either re-sign him or let him sign with another team.  There is nothing wrong with that.

Yes, it's something wrong. Losing him for nothing would be the worst outcome losing him for nothing and without cap space to replace him. I know this isn't exactly what you said, but there would be a little catastrophe.

The other options (trading him before he expires and extending him) are much more reasonable.

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2017, 06:38:42 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
lol some of the replies here are funny.

If you think Isaiah Thomas is not a top 20 player then you are not giving him enough credit for the offensive juggernaught that he is.
His defense isn't the best, but it's not as terrible as many make it out to be.

The dude consistently hits some of the hardest and highest difficulty level of shots in the world and gets to the free throw line like a duck to water.

He is a very good passer and creates so many scoring opportunities for our shooters with his penetration. He has changed our offense from night to day. It's made Jae Crowder better, Avery Bradley better and Horford and Olynyk, because they are getting easier looks. Wide open looks on a regular basis.

He's a late bloomer and he is probably going to get slightly better over the next 2 seasons.
Right now he's somewhere around the #12th to #20th best player in the league.
You don't let those guys walk for nothing because someone will want him.

New Orleans and Dallas are two teams that stand out to me as teams who would be willing to give him a max deal over 4 years, especially New Orleans with KD and Cuz there. He'd make them a true contender.

But no, IT will not be traded this off season unless we get some kind of monstrous miracle offer for an already top 10 player.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2017, 06:48:37 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
For a minute, I thought this topic was serious.
Well done folks, you make me laugh during 3 pages.

8)

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2017, 07:05:33 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I think what some folks are missing about the pro trade IT argument is not that we think he is going to be traded or even is likely to be traded its that we acknowledge that he could be traded and therefore have to explore what a trade like that could look like.

Most of us aren't calling for his head. We don't fail to see his value or are under the delusion that his defensive deficiencies stop him from being a great player. We get accused of underrating IT but I think many of us have him properly rated. He's an excellent player, who's deservedly seeking a max, that he might need to find somewhere else.

Isaiah plays at the deepest position in the league by far, a position that's value is constantly being redefined(Russell Westbrook isn't even considered the unanimous MVP for his historic production) and we have a high chance of drafting his logical successor in Markelle Fultz. Now we might not get Fultz but that doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss what an Isaiah trade might look like. This is a basketball blog.

Couple of points...
1. To the 'we can't trade IT because he's the face of the franchise' crowd, I disagree with that logic. Danny Ainge is amongst the best GM's in the league at always trading a player to a great situation. Isaiah is looking to get paid the Max and start for a competitive team. IMO he cares more about this than bringing Boston banner 18 and I don't blame him for that.

If Danny moved IT to a place where he could finally feel the security that he's not going anywhere, get paid his max, and lead his team unquestioned night in and night out, I don't think IT would bear any ill-will toward the Celtics. If anything he would be forever grateful for being given the opportunity to finally prove what he was worth to the league.

2. Trading Isaiah to hand the team over to Fultz does not make us the 76'ers. Most of us aren't saying sell off all the vets and bottom out until the Warriors break up and LeBron retires. But we're also not saying that this team is complete for that matter either.

We've got two more high draft picks and need to leave our options open for what that could mean for roster construction. If it took trading Isaiah as the final push into attaining a top-10 talent it would be bad business to keep him out of misguided loyalty.

3. It's not trade IT or bust! There is absolutely a world where the best version of this team has Isaiah Thomas as its starting point guard. I can only speak for myself but I would not be upset if we signed IT to the max and locked him up as a Celtics Legend. Frankly I'd be ecstatic.

But I'd be disingenuous if I said that I felt that locking up IT is the only option. Having so many options is what made this post KG era team so great in the first place.

So until the ink is dry on Isaiah's extension I and others like me will continue to explore every one of these options, and if you disagree with that point, don't tell me that my point shouldn't be made... tell me why you disagree.  :)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 07:11:32 AM by Smartacus »

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2017, 08:31:03 AM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
Whether you believe it or not, right now, Isaiah Thomas IS the face of the Celtics franchise...and it's a [dang] fine face!  He's been a great example of what a Celtic player should be and use to be in the past.

He wants to be in Boston...is excelling in Boston, and for the first time in years players actually consider coming to Boston, partly because he's in their ear all the time about how great it is in Boston.

I have no problem giving him the max when his contract comes due...and I believe it is likely that he will give us a hometown discount in order to have the flexibility to field the best team possible.  That attitude in and of itself would be enough for me to want to see him in Celtic green the rest of his playing days.

Rak

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2017, 08:54:19 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I dont know about a trade but I can see thomas going to a team like the Mavericks who make a living going after lesser stars and avoiding tanking.

All I know is if we get #1 something has to give. We can't draft Fultz and have him get minutes while also having thomas, bradley, rozier, and smart. Someone will be traded.

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2017, 09:21:31 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Nope.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2017, 10:12:25 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
No but it wouldn't totally surprise me if he was.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2017, 10:38:02 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
If you trade IT this summer, you are putting out a 35-win team next season.

Fultz isn't coming in and averaging 30 PPG. Smart and Rozier sure aren't either.

Suddenly this team has no legit scorer and that will be the new complaint around here...

And IT isn't getting you back a Lilliard or Westbrook either.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2017, 11:20:35 AM »

Offline CapnDunks

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
No.

The only possible ways this happens is if a drunk GM offers to overpay in a ludicrous way for IT or an inferior team finds a way to totally exploit him in the playoffs.

If he can continue to be effective in the playoffs while teams plan around him and try to contain him, I think he should get the max.