Poll

Every day we get a slew of "trade IT" ideas. Is this a vocal minority, or does a substantial portion of this blog actually see an IT trade as a legit possibility?

Isaiah Thomas will not be traded this summer.
54 (84.4%)
I expect (or would not be surprised) to see Isaiah Thomas traded this summer.
10 (15.6%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: Do you actually believe Isaiah Thomas will be traded this offseason?  (Read 6338 times)

Re: Do you actually believe Isaiah Thomas will be traded this offseason?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2017, 05:59:07 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Id do a 3 year max extension and not think twice about it. IT is a top 30 Ayer so he is technically worth the max.

Top scorer, yes.

Top 30 player, not so fast. Look at the rest of the stat line.

Are you saying that you can name 30 (or more) better players? Because IT is absolutely in the top 30, maybe even top 20.

No, he's not a good defender, but he's still a huge net positive

What does he do other than score?

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2017, 05:59:12 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Id do a 3 year max extension and not think twice about it. IT is a top 30 Ayer so he is technically worth the max.

Top scorer, yes.

Are you saying that you can name 30 (or more) better players? Because IT is absolutely in the top 30, maybe even top 20.

Exactly. He adds more than he gives up that equals more wins vs loses. The years are my only concern he may not go for it.

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2017, 06:00:48 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
He'd want a max.  Would you give it to him?

Need to see how he handles the playoffs. How he handles double teams, if he can change his game and still win games. If he struggles and they get bounced in the first round, you'd have to consider he's not worth the max.

True

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2017, 06:02:02 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Need to see how he handles the playoffs. How he handles double teams, if he can change his game and still win games. If he struggles and they get bounced in the first round, you'd have to consider he's not worth the max.

I'm not worried.  He managed to hit his 2s in the playoffs least year at the same rate as in the regular season, despite Evan Turner being the 2nd option and the best outside shooters in the series being Terry Rozier (36.4%) and Marcus Smart (34.4%).  The doubles didn't stop him from scoring last year, and with better spacing/kick-out options this year I think he'll do the same.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2017, 06:02:22 PM »

Offline mahcussmaht

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
Nope = we are stuck with him through to his next contract. Trade value is too compromised by his contractual situation.
His height, defense and contract impact his trade value. You probably can't even get a lottery pick for him in this draft. MAYBE Dallas would give up #9 for him. Maybe Chicago would give up #14 for him. Only if they can lock in an extension. More realistically his return would be similar to what we got for Rondo. Late 1st and filler.

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2017, 06:02:54 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

True
Come on guys C's gave Horford the max and he played far worst than IT last playoffs.

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2017, 06:13:23 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Top scorer, yes.

Two things to say to that:

1. He's also an above average passer.  He averages ~6 apg and only a 10.4% TOV% (which is the 3rd least among players averaging 5 or more apg - behind only Jimmy Butler (9.1%) and Kemba Walker (9.4%), both of whom average fewer apg than him. 

2. Would it matter if he were only a world-class scorer and nothing else? Despite his defensive shortcomings he's STILL leading the team in BPM, Win Shares/48, and VORP.  He's such a good scorer that it covers for the shortcomings in his game (which are pretty much only on the defensive side - he's one of the best offensive players in the league)

So, I'll say it again: do you really think that there are 30 players in the NBA that are better than IT? Give us a list.  Because even the biggest IT hater will have a hard time agreeing with that.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2017, 06:26:33 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Signing IT to a max contract is the biggest no-brainer facing Danny Ainge.  I mean, it is a done deal.  He is so fantastic scoring, has gotten better as a passer and creating, that any deficiencies on the defensive end are so far out-weighed by his offensive prowess, it is not really debatable.

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2017, 06:27:32 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen

Top scorer, yes.

Two things to say to that:

1. He's also an above average passer.  He averages ~6 apg and only a 10.4% TOV% (which is the 3rd least among players averaging 5 or more apg - behind only Jimmy Butler (9.1%) and Kemba Walker (9.4%), both of whom average fewer apg than him. 

2. Would it matter if he were only a world-class scorer and nothing else? Despite his defensive shortcomings he's STILL leading the team in BPM, Win Shares/48, and VORP.  He's such a good scorer that it covers for the shortcomings in his game (which are pretty much only on the defensive side - he's one of the best offensive players in the league)

So, I'll say it again: do you really think that there are 30 players in the NBA that are better than IT? Give us a list.  Because even the biggest IT hater will have a hard time agreeing with that.

Well, I don't know what an IT hater would think do or say,  but 6 apg is journeyman at best. His assist/turnover rate would be the more appropriate number to look at though rather than turnovers per 100 plays since he shoots without passing at all on a good number of plays, e.g. The pull up 3 or driving off a pick. There isn't much meat there to say he is a particularly good passer, especially at his position.

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2017, 06:31:08 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Isaiah Thomas is our Heart and Soul right now.

He is the face of our franchise.

He is our Paul Pierce - or very close to it IMO.

If Danny trades him we'd better be getting back a home run - and someone worthy of assuming leadership RIGHT AWAY.

This roster is quickly becoming a "Window" team. Our window is nearly "Right Now." Isaiah Thomas is a BIG part of this window.

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2017, 06:34:15 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
After the playoffs , how far they go,  and see who the draft pick is.   Never know,  what DA has up his sleeve .

I thinking Danny is like all of us , he wants to see how far IT can take us with this group.

Wait and see where the chips fall and revisit latter.

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2017, 06:37:34 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Yet another ridiculous get IT out of Boston thread.

IT is getting the max. It would be a black eye on the organization if they turned around kicked this guy out of town after he, by himself, has basically made this team a 50 plus win team and a playoff team. It's not a good look to other FAs and I do not think this front office and ownership group would ever do that.

IT will never be a good defensive player due to his size. But everything else he does far outweighs that. He's the reason the C's are any good quite simply put.

I swear,  I think some people here would rather the C's be continually rebuilding like the 76ers than actually adding to this core and competing.

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2017, 06:40:26 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
This isn't a thread saying IT should be traded

It's a thread that honestly asks a legit question.

We're a #1 seed, have 50+ wins, and without IT we'd probably have 35-40 wins and no guarantees on making the playoffs.

But then we have a bunch of people saying we should trade him, which is pretty surprising.

Simple Answer: NOPE.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2017, 06:44:11 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
This isn't a thread saying IT should be traded

It's a thread that honestly asks a legit question.

We're a #1 seed, have 50+ wins, and without IT we'd probably have 35-40 wins and no guarantees on making the playoffs.

But then we have a bunch of people saying we should trade him, which is pretty surprising.

Simple Answer: NOPE.

Antoine Walker.

There are some allstar players that just aren't the guy for whatever reason. And Danny has shown a willingness to trade those players. And to bring them back for a fluke playoff run if it fills the seats.

Right now, IT is here to entertain while the next contending roster is built. He stays through his current deal, but don't expect his big contract to be written in green ink.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 06:49:42 PM by More Banners »

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2017, 06:46:23 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
All depends on extension getting done. Same could be said about AB and Smart though.

No it doesn't.  IT is signed for next season.  He does not need an extension this offseason.  He can play out his contract and the Celtics can either re-sign him or let him sign with another team.  There is nothing wrong with that.