Author Topic: Derrick Rose torn menicus, Out for season  (Read 2687 times)

Re: Derrick Rose torn menicus, Out for season
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2017, 02:21:20 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
You're very well looking at what could be the answer to "Who is the only NBA MVP not to make it to the Hall of Fame?"
All the more frustrating because, as far as I'm concerned, that award belongs to Dwight Howard.

Sorry if I'm missing something but when did Dwight win MVP?
He didn't. That's the point. Rose won the award that should've gone to Dwight in '11.
Rose was better than Dwight in 11. MVP also is about making your team better and Howard I don't think has done that ever, IMO.  It is going to be interesting to see if he ever is a starter in this league again.

Agreed. Rose went for 25 & 8 assists and Chicago won 62 games, 21 more than the year before. Howard put up impressive stats (23 & 14) but his team won 10 fewer games than Chicago and 6 fewer than they won the year before.

Team performance has to be taken into account and when you put up great stats but your team gets worse then you're not as likely to win the trophy.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2017, 09:54:12 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
You're very well looking at what could be the answer to "Who is the only NBA MVP not to make it to the Hall of Fame?"
All the more frustrating because, as far as I'm concerned, that award belongs to Dwight Howard.

He didn't. That's the point. Rose won the award that should've gone to Dwight in '11.
Rose was better than Dwight in 11. MVP also is about making your team better and Howard I don't think has done that ever, IMO.  It is going to be interesting to see if he ever is a starter in this league again.

Wait, what? Dwight was the engine of a Finals team that ousted Lebron.

Rose's teams never did much in the playoffs.

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2017, 10:32:27 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

Too bad Dwight did that in 2009 not 2011. 

How about you shouldn't be MVP if all your team needs is Kendrick Perkins to shut you down in the playoffs
Greg

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2017, 02:13:53 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996

How about you shouldn't be MVP if all your team needs is Kendrick Perkins to shut you down in the playoffs

Ah, back when the NBA was more traditional in position lineups. Now it's all about small-balls  ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2017, 07:31:00 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

MVP has nothing to do with the playoffs.  And Howard was a low post player going against one of the best low post defenders in the league.  Not to mention that Rasheed and KG were helping Perkins and Howard was never primarily a scorer. 

I can't believe I just defended Dwight Howard!

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2017, 04:52:36 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

Agreed. Rose went for 25 & 8 assists and Chicago won 62 games, 21 more than the year before. Howard put up impressive stats (23 & 14) but his team won 10 fewer games than Chicago and 6 fewer than they won the year before.

Team performance has to be taken into account and when you put up great stats but your team gets worse then you're not as likely to win the trophy.
I couldn't disagree more. Dwight Howard was by far the best offensive player on his team and the best defensive player in the entire league. The Bulls won 62 games because of their defense, which Rose had nothing to do with. The Magic won 52 games because everything on both sides of the court ran through Howard. He carried them.

If you replace Rose on that Bulls team with a decent PG, they still win 50 games because of their defense and they had other scorers. If you replaced Dwight that year with a decent center, I think they're one of the worst teams in the league.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2017, 05:45:07 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

MVP has nothing to do with the playoffs.  And Howard was a low post player going against one of the best low post defenders in the league.  Not to mention that Rasheed and KG were helping Perkins and Howard was never primarily a scorer. 

I can't believe I just defended Dwight Howard!

In regards to the playoffs, I was replying to the previous poster who was citing Roses lack of success in the playoffs

As to the other comment, while yes KG was there to help Perk if he needed it, the reason why the magic always had a tough time with us is bc we never had to help on Dwight.  Dwight would constantly put himself on an island with Perk and time and time again Perk wouldn't budge when Dwight would back him down and he'd end up throwing up that weak hook shot running across the lane away from the basket.

It was to the point in that 2010 series I'd get excited when they'd throw Dwight the ball in the post.  Im sorry I'm know there's more to basketball than offense but rose was just the better more explosive player back then
Greg