Author Topic: Patriots Day  (Read 4245 times)

Patriots Day
« on: April 02, 2017, 12:08:49 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Just watched it on Blu Ray. I thought the film was excellent.

It had a Rotten Tomato score of 80% and an audience score of 88%.

So the questions are:

Why did it do so poorly at the box office? (Cost $45 million---only made $44 worldwide).

And

Do you think it was a fairly accurate portrayal of what happened?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 12:22:45 PM by Chief »
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

Re: Patriots Day
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 12:45:24 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
My guess for the box office numbers, no A list actors and no intrigue. Many people probably consider it a hollywood remake of a recent CNN story that ended shortly after it began, and there is not much they haven't already seen or heard many times.

Once you actually watch it though, you realize its a good movie.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 12:53:54 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Didn't see it but here are my thoughts;

1)  Too soon
2)  Turning that event into some sort of action/drama/thriller.  I'd rather just see a really well done documentary on the subject that some Hollywood Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again.ization of the event.
3)  Mark Wahlberg
4)  Just as a Mass native and growing up & attending something like 20+ marathons as a child, teenager, a BC student, then living in the area for a handful of years post-grad, that day has always been something really special. A unique Mass holiday.  The bombing was a betrayal of that & I just have no interest in seeing some Hollywood flick on it.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 12:55:29 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
My guess for the box office numbers, no A list actors and no intrigue. Many people probably consider it a hollywood remake of a recent CNN story that ended shortly after it began, and there is not much they haven't already seen or heard many times.

Once you actually watch it though, you realize its a good movie.

Yeah, my guess too. I saw the news coverage of the bombings but had no idea about the other events.

As many bad movies that have come out over the last 12 months,  you would think people would want to see a well reviewed movie.

Which leads to two more questions:

Do movie goers care about good or bad reviews?

And

Is  Wahlberg an A lister?
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 01:02:26 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

1)  Too soon
2)  Turning that event into some sort of action/drama/thriller.  I'd rather just see a really well done documentary on the subject that some Hollywood ****ization of the event.
3)  Mark Wahlberg
4)  Just as a Mass native and growing up & attending something like 20+ marathons as a child, teenager, a BC student, then living in the area for a handful of years post-grad, that day has always been something really special. A unique Mass holiday.  The bombing was a betrayal of that & I just have no interest in seeing some Hollywood flick on it.
Tp for your thoughts. I'm very curious on how Boston/Mass people feel. Didn't know if they want their story told or is Hollywood just trying to make money off the story.

My take as an outsider,  is that Wahlberg,  a Mass native, wanted the story told. Not to exploit but more about honoring.

An I see your point about too soon but that didn't seem to hurt Sully.  Another film I thought I knew everything about but after watching, I really didnt. I enjoyed it too.

Larry Bird

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 01:25:20 PM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
I had zero expectations for it, and usually shudder at what Mark Wahlberg has in store for his movies as he can either be really great or really bad, but it was really good. As a Mass native who wasnt really directly impacted by the events, I was interested in seeing it portrayed. Not sure how others feel.

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 01:26:08 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

1)  Too soon
2)  Turning that event into some sort of action/drama/thriller.  I'd rather just see a really well done documentary on the subject that some Hollywood ****ization of the event.
3)  Mark Wahlberg
Tp for your thoughts. I'm very curious on how Boston/Mass people feel. Didn't know if they want their story told or is Hollywood just trying to make money off the story.

My take as an outsider,  is that Wahlberg,  a Mass native, wanted the story told. Not to exploit but more about honoring.

An I see your point about too soon but that didn't seem to hurt Sully.  Another film I thought I knew everything about but after watching, I really didnt. I enjoyed it too.

The events around Sully didn't have a cop & a little kid getting killed.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 01:33:40 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
I had zero expectations for it, and usually shudder at what Mark Wahlberg has in store for his movies as he can either be really great or really bad, but it was really good. As a Mass native who wasnt really directly impacted by the events, I was interested in seeing it portrayed. Not sure how others feel.

Tp for your thoughts.

Larry Bird

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 01:58:11 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

1)  Too soon
3)  Mark Wahlberg

Cosign.

I find the whole undertaking distasteful.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 02:19:20 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

1)  Too soon
3)  Mark Wahlberg

Cosign.

Interesting.

Larry Bird

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 02:31:57 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

1)  Too soon
3)  Mark Wahlberg

Cosign.

Me too.....no interest at all.

My two older kids who were in college (one in Cambridge, one in Waltham) at the time were at the traditional Sox game and then take the route down Boylston towards Copley. They were on that route when the bombing occurred.

Because the authorities had shut down cell phone activity, I couldn't reach them and was panicking,

Also, because the T had been shut down, they had to walk down Mass. Ave to Harvard Square (4-5 miles), where I finally heard from them. Sadly, other families weren't so lucky.   

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 09:36:10 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
I can understand how Boston/Mass people might not want to relive these events.

Not sure why it did so bad in the rest of the country.

Larry Bird

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 09:46:27 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

1)  Too soon
3)  Mark Wahlberg

Cosign.

Me too.....no interest at all.

My two older kids who were in college (one in Cambridge, one in Waltham) at the time were at the traditional Sox game and then take the route down Boylston towards Copley. They were on that route when the bombing occurred.

Because the authorities had shut down cell phone activity, I couldn't reach them and was panicking,

Also, because the T had been shut down, they had to walk down Mass. Ave to Harvard Square (4-5 miles), where I finally heard from them. Sadly, other families weren't so lucky.

same, I lived in the South End for the last 20 years probably < 10 minute walk from the Library, to me that is way too soon, that place is where I grew up hanging out, etc, etc. It's not something I wanted to remember

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 10:50:30 AM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
I don't live in the area but I definitely remember the events as it unfolded.  I thought the movie was a pretty good portrayal of what the news covered during this tragedy. The parts that weren't covered nationally were enlightening. I think I would have enjoyed the movie regardless if I lived in Mass.  I'm from NY/North Jersey and was present during 9/11 yet I enjoyed 9/11 (the movie) which was released 6 months after that tragedy. 

BTW, Mark is definitely an A-list Actor as is J.K. Simmons, John Goodman & Kevin Bacon so whomever made the comment about there not being A list actors in this movie obviously doesn't watch too many movies lol!
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2017, 11:27:47 AM »

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
I watched this weekend and it was better than I expected (I had very low expectations). I'm not a big believer in the 'too soon' mentality. This was an event that happened, and there's no reason to hide from it. I know some of the survivors weren't happy about the movie, but others were heavily involved in the production. My only complaint is that there was too much about Tommy Saunders' (the composite character) background/history considering he wasn't a real person so the background is fiction wedged into the middle of a true crime film.

My friend was injured by the 2nd bomb. I talked to her after I watched the movie on Saturday to see what she thought. She didn't really have strong feelings either way. She did mention that it was strange that they seemed to focus only on two of the survivors. She told me, "it was an alright movie, but it's Mark Wahlburg's interpretation of what happened shown through Peter Berg's lens." Her point being that the movie couldn't focus on everything, and that they couldn't make everyone happy. I thought it was a great point.

I'm looking forward to the Jeff Bauman movie; his book was great, so I have high hopes for the film adaptation. Jeff was very involved with the production, so I expect that it will be very respectful towards everyone involved.