Poll

Which Path Do You Hope We Take This Summer? (Before Voting, READ The Options Below And Then Vote)

Plan A
6 (12.5%)
Plan B
37 (77.1%)
Plan C
5 (10.4%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: Choose Your Path This Summer  (Read 7442 times)

Re: Choose Your Path This Summer
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2017, 02:30:31 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I could see Ainge trading IT while he is at peak value (1 year remaining on affordable contract).

I would approve the following moves:

IT/Tyler Zeller/Brooklyn 2018 Pick for PG13 (even without a commitment longer term from PG13)

Draft Markelle Fultz with Brooklyn 2017 Pick

Sign Gordon Hayward

Ballhandlers: Marcus Smart/Terry Rozier/Markelle Fultz
Wings: Avery Bradley/Gordon Hayward
Swings: PG13/Jaylen Brown/Abdel Nader
Bigs: Al Horford/Kelly Olynyk/Ante Zizic/Guerschon Yabusele

See, I don't think a player with one year left is at peak value.

Peak value is probably not the correct term here, but the team acquiring said player has the option to give him a 5th year and go over the cap with his signing. If a team really wants Thomas now and in the future, acquiring him before his deal is up would greatly benefit them rather than waiting for FA.

We got extremely lucky with the Horford signing (and with Atl not offering the 5th year). We are hoping to strike gold again with Hayward/Griffin.

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2017, 02:35:31 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I could see Ainge trading IT while he is at peak value (1 year remaining on affordable contract).

IT/Tyler Zeller/Brooklyn 2018 Pick for PG13 (even without a commitment longer term from PG13)

Sign Gordon Hayward

See, I don't think a player with one year left is at peak value.

Peak value is probably not the correct term here, but the team acquiring said player has the option to give him a 5th year and go over the cap with his signing. If a team really wants Thomas now and in the future, acquiring him before his deal is up would greatly benefit them rather than waiting for FA.

We got extremely lucky with the Horford signing (and with Atl not offering the 5th year). We are hoping to strike gold again with Hayward/Griffin.

Now for a player as underpaid as IT, the receiving team (to be assured of keeping him) would need cap space to give him an immediate raise, then extend him (like OKC did with Perk). Otherwise, they might use Bird rights to go over the cap to keep him, but he still hits FA.

« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2017, 04:31:27 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!

Sign Gordon Hayward

That itself is an overpay for PG13 especially without the commitment.

And if he leaves after 2018 in that case, we don't have a 2018 BKN Pick, and that's pretty much the team that either wins you a Finals, or you live with it for years without much.

Don't think adding Hayward while losing IT really helps us that much, and Fultz won't have that superstar impact his first few seasons.

Don't have much scoring coming out of the guard position either besides AB.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2017, 04:37:43 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
I wouldn't give ANY major asset for Paul George without a commitment and so the possibility of leaving us for LAL in a year. Don't take that risk.

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2017, 07:32:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Sign Gordon Hayward

A few things...

If the IT and Zeller for PG13 happens then you are doing the trade after July 1st and picking up Zeller's option. This trade brings in $3.8 million worth of salary.

Drafting Fultz, presumably with the first pick, sets a cap hold of about $5 million

If you are sold on this trade happening, drafting Fultz and resigning KO, then there is no way you can sign Hayward. There just won't be any cap space to do it. Even if you let go of KO, just by bringing in Fultz and picking up Zeller's option to trade him instead of signing Fultz and trading him and IT, you still can't afford to sign Hayward to a max contract.

Long story short...this scenario can't happen. You really have to look into all the factors of the details and timelines, in order to get so many moving parts to work things out.

« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2017, 07:48:10 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I'd lay some significant TPs on the line to say that Hayward does not sign in Boston. People are jumping on the bandwagon but I don't think it exists. There's some easy connections to make but there is no recent evidence that would suggest he's coming here.

Ainge will chase Griffin, if he misses out on Griffin he'll renegotiate IT, use the remaining cap space to sign a FA and then bring back KO. Fill out the roster with Nader and some vet bigs and continue to build. I honestly think another max FA is a long shot this summer, even if it is plan A.

Speaking of Plan A, change Hayward to Griffin, if they swing that this summer then we'll be the best team in the East

Yeah that is a legit possibility.

I think Ainge is fairly confident he can get someone this summer (hence, no moves at all at the deadline, not even a minor one).

Maybe not Griffin/Hayward, but someone else still.

And yeah if Plan A is done with Griffin on board as well, that's a contender.

I think there is a level of confidence that he can get Griffin or Hayward but I think the inactivity at the deadline is more about his confidence that chasing a max FA wouldn't impact the long term outlook of the team. He wanted to maintain​ cap space but also there was noone on the market that would have impacted the team in the long run. If we miss out on a max FA the team is not in a worse position having stood pat at the deadline.
this is the last summer with cap space unless you let everyone go so if no one gets added using the cap space the team will actually be in a worse position having made no trades.  Cousins, Noel, and others would have improved the team both this year and moving forward and a fun like Noel could have just been let go if you needed the cap space this summer anyway.

Ainge threw away this season to maintain flexibility that might not yield to anything anyway.  It was a mistake as the East was there for the taking. Ainge shouldn't get a pass for doing nothing.

We're sitting 1st in the East and you think he's thrown away the season? Ye of little faith.

There are fundamental differences in thought here. I don't​ like Noel's fit on this team at all. At best he replaces Amir and that is assuming he can pick up our sets in time for the playoffs which is far from a guarantee. Then if you wish to keep him you have to pay him twice as much as Amir...Great...

Ibaka was not a rental, I think we agree on that. So it depends on whether you view him as a long term piece. Again I don't, I think we have more potential in what we have. In all of this salary is a concern. Any max FA this summer puts strain on our finances post 2018. When it's extension time for Brown and the other picks we could be very short handed.

I think a legitimate argument can be made for using our cap space to commit to this core and then look to make a trade for someone like George over the summer. Or commit to this core and have another year of development. We'd also elongate our window for making a serious trade by doing that.

Cousins I will give you, I certainly wanted him. But I am lenient on it because there were many other GMs that could have gotten in on the race and passed, there is obviously not a great feeling around town about Demarcus

« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2017, 12:19:50 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
After yesterday's game, Plan B looks like the way to go lol.

Keep developing and pray every day Lebron fatigues in 2-3 years.   :laugh:

« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2017, 12:21:53 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
If this team gets swept or loses in 5, I think it will be Plan C + lots of trades and no re-signings.

« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2017, 02:38:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Plan D is looking a lot more likely
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2017, 02:44:38 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
it'll probably be Plan B if Danny can get Hayward to come here.  not really a downside except for the "We've got to win it all right now and the hell with setting ourselves up for a long run at the title" crowd.

Add an all-star free agent and add a top pick in the draft.  hard to project a downside for that.