Poll

Which Path Do You Hope We Take This Summer? (Before Voting, READ The Options Below And Then Vote)

Plan A
6 (12.5%)
Plan B
37 (77.1%)
Plan C
5 (10.4%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: Choose Your Path This Summer  (Read 7441 times)

Re: Choose Your Path This Summer
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2017, 08:04:52 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Where is Option D?   You know the full on rebuild option, where you not only keep the picks and draft players, but look to move the veterans for other younger players/future assets.

A 50+ win-team and Top-3 team in the East going full-on rebuild after this season?   

And that's basically Plan C I guess since you just draft and don't add anyone major anyways.

Some people seem to only be happy when the team loses.

No, I don't understand it either.

Well...DA broke up a core that went to the ECF.

there's a thing called fool's gold.

When did Ainge break up a core that went to the ECF?

He broke up a team in 2002-2003 that got swept in the Eastern Conference Semis.
He broke up a team in 2012-2013 that lost in the first round of the playoffs.

Those are really the two rebuilds he's undertaken as a Celtics GM. If you're referring to Kendrick Perkins, he was traded the year after losing 4-1 in the Semis to the Heat. Thus I'm trying to remember the "ECF core" that Ainge broke up but it's possible that I'm having a Senior Moment.

That 02-03 team was a couple of role players shy of the previous season's 49-win team that went 6 games in the ECF.

Moving the goalposts.

The 03 team got swept in the Semis. It didn't make the ECF (and most of us realize that making the 2002 ECF was a bit of a fluke).

I gotta call a foul.

Not moving the goalposts.

It was Pierce/Walker both seasons, and then ownership didnt retain key role players for the next season, and traded their starting PG for a drunk, leaving JR freaking Bremer to get over 20 minutes/game. They won 45 instead of 49 in the regular season in spite of all this idiocy around their stars.  And they managed to beat a good Pacers team in round 1 before being swept by the defending conference champs, which should be more of a commentary on the dumb roster moves than the potential of the core.  Many, including their well respected coach, thought and expected new ownership to retool, not rebuild.  Instead, Ainge went nuclear largely because he didn't believe in one of the allstars, Employee #8.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 08:11:59 PM by More Banners »

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2017, 08:15:52 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Plan B is obvious, as it is basically what we did last offseason, and that is clearly working

I also think that if they get the #1 pick somebody is going to make them a huge offer.

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2017, 08:51:59 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Plan B is obvious, as it is basically what we did last offseason, and that is clearly working

I also think that if they get the #1 pick somebody is going to make them a huge offer.

Either 1st or 2nd pick in the draft. I think most teams would love Fultz or Ball.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2017, 08:58:55 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Where is Option D?   You know the full on rebuild option, where you not only keep the picks and draft players, but look to move the veterans for other younger players/future assets.

A 50+ win-team and Top-3 team in the East going full-on rebuild after this season?   

And that's basically Plan C I guess since you just draft and don't add anyone major anyways.

Some people seem to only be happy when the team loses.

No, I don't understand it either.

Well...DA broke up a core that went to the ECF.

there's a thing called fool's gold.

When did Ainge break up a core that went to the ECF?

He broke up a team in 2002-2003 that got swept in the Eastern Conference Semis.
He broke up a team in 2012-2013 that lost in the first round of the playoffs.

Those are really the two rebuilds he's undertaken as a Celtics GM. If you're referring to Kendrick Perkins, he was traded the year after losing 4-1 in the Semis to the Heat. Thus I'm trying to remember the "ECF core" that Ainge broke up but it's possible that I'm having a Senior Moment.

That 02-03 team was a couple of role players shy of the previous season's 49-win team that went 6 games in the ECF.

Moving the goalposts.

The 03 team got swept in the Semis. It didn't make the ECF (and most of us realize that making the 2002 ECF was a bit of a fluke).

I gotta call a foul.

Not moving the goalposts.

It was Pierce/Walker both seasons, and then ownership didnt retain key role players for the next season, and traded their starting PG for a drunk, leaving JR freaking Bremer to get over 20 minutes/game. They won 45 instead of 49 in the regular season in spite of all this idiocy around their stars.  And they managed to beat a good Pacers team in round 1 before being swept by the defending conference champs, which should be more of a commentary on the dumb roster moves than the potential of the core.  Many, including their well respected coach, thought and expected new ownership to retool, not rebuild.  Instead, Ainge went nuclear largely because he didn't believe in one of the allstars, Employee #8.
This is how I saw it too. The team's core those years was the same for the most part. DA himself admitted he was even going to trade Pierce if not for ownership declining. DA blew up a growing team early. Id compare it to something like if Raptors were to blow up their team right now saying Lowry and DeRozan were not good enough.

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2017, 10:35:26 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I'd like to draft Ball and sign Griffin as a free agent.

Id also let Kelly walk.
I've not been so high on Griffin and have generally preferred Hayward over Griffin in offseason considerations.  But if Lonzo Ball is our pick, then I'm with you thinking that Griffin would be a fantastic addition.  IT, Bradley, Crowder, Griffin, Horford is an awesome starting 5 and Lonzo/Smart/Jaylen would fit in so well mixed in off the bench and could even start at times.  I think Lonzo and IT could co-exist for a while, but celts should begin to listen a little more diligently to any IT offers that come around as Lonzo isn't going to truly thrive until he is handed the keys to a team's offense.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2017, 11:10:39 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I'd lay some significant TPs on the line to say that Hayward does not sign in Boston. People are jumping on the bandwagon but I don't think it exists. There's some easy connections to make but there is no recent evidence that would suggest he's coming here.

Ainge will chase Griffin, if he misses out on Griffin he'll renegotiate IT, use the remaining cap space to sign a FA and then bring back KO. Fill out the roster with Nader and some vet bigs and continue to build. I honestly think another max FA is a long shot this summer, even if it is plan A.

Speaking of Plan A, change Hayward to Griffin, if they swing that this summer then we'll be the best team in the East

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2017, 01:40:58 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
I'd lay some significant TPs on the line to say that Hayward does not sign in Boston. People are jumping on the bandwagon but I don't think it exists. There's some easy connections to make but there is no recent evidence that would suggest he's coming here.

Ainge will chase Griffin, if he misses out on Griffin he'll renegotiate IT, use the remaining cap space to sign a FA and then bring back KO. Fill out the roster with Nader and some vet bigs and continue to build. I honestly think another max FA is a long shot this summer, even if it is plan A.

Speaking of Plan A, change Hayward to Griffin, if they swing that this summer then we'll be the best team in the East

Yeah that is a legit possibility.

I think Ainge is fairly confident he can get someone this summer (hence, no moves at all at the deadline, not even a minor one).

Maybe not Griffin/Hayward, but someone else still.

And yeah if Plan A is done with Griffin on board as well, that's a contender.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2017, 04:57:09 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

I think Ainge is fairly confident he can get someone this summer (hence, no moves at all at the deadline, not even a minor one).

I think there is a level of confidence that he can get Griffin or Hayward but I think the inactivity at the deadline is more about his confidence that chasing a max FA wouldn't impact the long term outlook of the team. He wanted to maintain​ cap space but also there was noone on the market that would have impacted the team in the long run. If we miss out on a max FA the team is not in a worse position having stood pat at the deadline.

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2017, 10:18:36 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I think there is a level of confidence that he can get Griffin or Hayward but I think the inactivity at the deadline is more about his confidence that chasing a max FA wouldn't impact the long term outlook of the team. He wanted to maintain​ cap space but also there was noone on the market that would have impacted the team in the long run. If we miss out on a max FA the team is not in a worse position having stood pat at the deadline.
this is the last summer with cap space unless you let everyone go so if no one gets added using the cap space the team will actually be in a worse position having made no trades.  Cousins, Noel, and others would have improved the team both this year and moving forward and a fun like Noel could have just been let go if you needed the cap space this summer anyway.

Ainge threw away this season to maintain flexibility that might not yield to anything anyway.  It was a mistake as the East was there for the taking. Ainge shouldn't get a pass for doing nothing.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2017, 10:40:29 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!

this is the last summer with cap space unless you let everyone go so if no one gets added using the cap space the team will actually be in a worse position having made no trades.  Cousins, Noel, and others would have improved the team both this year and moving forward and a fun like Noel could have just been let go if you needed the cap space this summer anyway.

Ainge threw away this season to maintain flexibility that might not yield to anything anyway.  It was a mistake as the East was there for the taking. Ainge shouldn't get a pass for doing nothing.

I would have liked even a small addition, like Tucker.

But of course, those Cavs and Clippers 2nd rounders are soo valuable. We may get our next "Isaiah Thomas" with a pick between 55-60 (highly doubtful).

Butler and PG13 were just too costly. Don't blame him there.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2017, 11:53:55 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

You know, Ainge is taking a calculated risk here, and I'm OK with that.  While Boston has not traditionally been a FA destination, Horford did sign here and that was at a time when the team is not as good as they are now.

Instead of 'get a pass for doing nothing', Ainge should actually be applauded for looking very seriously at some trades, and then deciding the flexibility was more valuable.  That is not "doing nothing".

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2017, 12:29:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

You know, Ainge is taking a calculated risk here, and I'm OK with that.  While Boston has not traditionally been a FA destination, Horford did sign here and that was at a time when the team is not as good as they are now.

Instead of 'get a pass for doing nothing', Ainge should actually be applauded for looking very seriously at some trades, and then deciding the flexibility was more valuable.  That is not "doing nothing".
But Noel wouldn't have taken any cap space, neither would Ibaka, or any number of other players that were actually moved around the deadline.  They just would have cost players like Rozier and late 1st rounders that may not even be on the team next year anyway.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2017, 12:33:08 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

But Noel wouldn't have taken any cap space, neither would Ibaka, or any number of other players that were actually moved around the deadline.  They just would have cost players like Rozier and late 1st rounders that may not even be on the team next year anyway.
Hey listen, I agree with you.  I wanted Ibaka or Noel. This is why DA gets paid the big bucks, not you or me.

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2017, 12:51:07 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I could see Ainge trading IT while he is at peak value (1 year remaining on affordable contract).

I would approve the following moves:

IT/Tyler Zeller/Brooklyn 2018 Pick for PG13 (even without a commitment longer term from PG13)

Draft Markelle Fultz with Brooklyn 2017 Pick

Sign Gordon Hayward

Ballhandlers: Marcus Smart/Terry Rozier/Markelle Fultz
Wings: Avery Bradley/Gordon Hayward
Swings: PG13/Jaylen Brown/Abdel Nader
Bigs: Al Horford/Kelly Olynyk/Ante Zizic/Guerschon Yabusele

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2017, 02:03:54 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I could see Ainge trading IT while he is at peak value (1 year remaining on affordable contract).

I would approve the following moves:

IT/Tyler Zeller/Brooklyn 2018 Pick for PG13 (even without a commitment longer term from PG13)

Draft Markelle Fultz with Brooklyn 2017 Pick

Sign Gordon Hayward

Ballhandlers: Marcus Smart/Terry Rozier/Markelle Fultz
Wings: Avery Bradley/Gordon Hayward
Swings: PG13/Jaylen Brown/Abdel Nader
Bigs: Al Horford/Kelly Olynyk/Ante Zizic/Guerschon Yabusele

See, I don't think a player with one year left is at peak value.