Author Topic: Will Marcus Smart ever shoot 40%? Part 3  (Read 9711 times)

Re: Will Marcus Smart ever shoot 40%? Part 3
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2017, 06:57:20 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
His bad shooting wouldn't be so bad if we didn't ask him to play SG half his minutes. Guy should be a PG only on offense and get things going instead of finishing the plays shooting 3s. Yes he does okay in practice but against bigger live action he is terrible. It's time to put a cap on his shots. Keep him under 7 shots a game, with only 2 threes attempted a game until he gets hot.

« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2017, 06:58:00 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
He is just not a skilled enough player to do what other guards do on offense.

With that said he is playing 30 minutes a game, so he is doing things that outweigh his poor offensive game

but if he becomes a more focal part at one point in his career, believe me he will lose those minutes fast and in a drastic decrease

« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2017, 07:00:26 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
His bad shooting wouldn't be so bad if we didn't ask him to play SG half his minutes. Guy should be a PG only on offense and get things going instead of finishing the plays shooting 3s. Yes he does okay in practice but against bigger live action he is terrible. It's time to put a cap on his shots. Keep him under 7 shots a game, with only 2 threes attempted a game until he gets hot.

Lol he is playing for money to , factor that in, because if he can't score his stock goes down.

Who knows what he is thinking in his head.

« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2017, 07:07:06 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

With that said he is playing 30 minutes a game, so he is doing things that outweigh his poor offensive game

but if he becomes a more focal part at one point in his career, believe me he will lose those minutes fast and in a drastic decrease
I think you could run the offense through smart and be OK. Especially if he improves in a few years to the point where he is a bad scorer instead of an awful one. He doesnt have the burst to ever be a good scorer around the rim and his shot is too Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ed to really fix, but with his strength he could easily learn to finish better (bad instead of awful) and if he wisens up his shot selection and works at it he could become a below average shooter as well. If he does both things and he isnt asked to score he will be fine.

If you ask him to score a lot he is gonna suck, but if you ask him to score a lot it means your team is truly horrible, so you wont really be able to bench him.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2017, 07:08:12 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Lol he is playing for money to , factor that in, because if he can't score his stock goes down.

If there is one guy out there who I dont think is stat-chasing for his next contract, Id say it is Marcus Smart.

guys worried about their next contract dont take the heaves Marcus takes. Those guys "accidentally" release the ball a second and a half late so their shooting percentage doesnt go down.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2017, 07:10:24 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton

If there is one guy out there who I dont think is stat-chasing for his next contract, Id say it is Marcus Smart.

I know he is not a stat chaser,

im just saying , if the team needs to rely on him more he needs to be able to score man , if he doesn't his minutes and his value on the team will go down. He is fine now obviously, but If people have Marcus as a starter at age 25-29 he needs to either be on an already good team , or if he takes that step then he needs to be a decent offensive player.

« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2017, 07:24:00 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

im just saying , if the team needs to rely on him more he needs to be able to score man , if he doesn't his minutes and his value on the team will go down. He is fine now obviously, but If people have Marcus as a starter at age 25-29 he needs to either be on an already good team , or if he takes that step then he needs to be a decent offensive player.
yeah, thats why I think he will get underpaid on the market.

He is a super-role player. It is dumb for rebuilding teams(read: bad teams) to sign a super role player to big bucks because those guys are only able to earn those big contracts if they are on a good team and they can fit into their niche and be studs.

Thus I dont think any of the Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ty teams with cap space will put in big offers for Marcus. All the good teams who could maxmimize Marcus will be locked up with cap space and unable to offer Smart big money except for one. The Boston Celtics.

I think we will be able to "underpay" him in terms of value added to the team vs. money.

Smart should exist as a super-role player.

have him run the offense through pick and roll and the post when matchups invite it.
have him take catch and shoot corner threes.

let his toughness intangible etc etc provide huge value for your team

I dont really care that he cant exist on a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ty team. We arent a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ty team and wont be for a decade in all likelihood. All this is doing is depressing Smart's market value by making him less helpful to a third of the league. Terrific!

« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2017, 07:34:30 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Will Hillary ever be president  ;D

« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2017, 07:42:10 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

this statement makes absolutely no sense.

« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2017, 07:49:11 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton

this statement makes absolutely no sense.

You will not play long after you are given the keys if you do not produce. That is what I was trying to say.

This team right now is perfectly stacked to where he can lay low.

People think he will eventually be an All Star and Starter in this league.

In order to do that he will have be given a focal point in the offense, once he is given that I pretty much think he will fail miserabely at it (given his offensive troubles at the moment)

In order to take a step he will need to get better now, so one day If he does become a starter he will be able to step his game up in order to get his team to succeed and keep his job.

« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2017, 08:00:35 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
The most important factor here is how long he can hold onto major minutes while he is still not shooting 40%. His best chance may be on another team.

For now, the unique things he does do is enough, because there is no one that has proven they can do more. When Jaylen Brown is 22, can you still give Marcus those minutes? We also know this team is poised to add considerably more talent in the next 18 months. He could just lose the intra-team competition for time.

« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2017, 08:18:54 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
The most important factor here is how long he can hold onto major minutes while he is still not shooting 40%. His best chance may be on another team.

For now, the unique things he does do is enough, because there is no one that has proven they can do more. When Jaylen Brown is 22, can you still give Marcus those minutes? We also know this team is poised to add considerably more talent in the next 18 months. He could just lose the intra-team competition for time.

You put it better than I did.

he is playing 30 minutes on a very very very good team. He is doing something right, that is for sure.

« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2017, 08:39:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

yeah, thats why I think he will get underpaid on the market.

He is a super-role player. It is dumb for rebuilding teams(read: bad teams) to sign a super role player to big bucks because those guys are only able to earn those big contracts if they are on a good team and they can fit into their niche and be studs.

Thus I dont think any of the ****ty teams with cap space will put in big offers for Marcus. All the good teams who could maxmimize Marcus will be locked up with cap space and unable to offer Smart big money except for one. The Boston Celtics.

I think we will be able to "underpay" him in terms of value added to the team vs. money.

Smart should exist as a super-role player.

have him run the offense through pick and roll and the post when matchups invite it.
have him take catch and shoot corner threes.

let his toughness intangible etc etc provide huge value for your team

I dont really care that he cant exist on a ****ty team. We arent a ****ty team and wont be for a decade in all likelihood. All this is doing is depressing Smart's market value by making him less helpful to a third of the league. Terrific!
Problem with your logic is that it is usually crappy to mediocre teams that overpay for role players hoping they become something more. Cases in point: Evan Turner or Harrison Barnes or Omer Asik or Kenneth Faried or.....well, you get the point. Role players get overpaid all the time and usually by bad teams.

« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2017, 10:55:30 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

Smart is still on track to evolve to be about as useful all-around as Ron Artest, who barely shot 40, barely 30 from 3, his first three years. Smart is possibly as special a defensive presence as Artest. Artest is the kind of defensive stud who can start for a championship team as its 4th or so best player overall. I think Smart will be that, too.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2017, 11:23:39 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton

Smart is still on track to evolve to be about as useful all-around as Ron Artest, who barely shot 40, barely 30 from 3, his first three years. Smart is possibly as special a defensive presence as Artest. Artest is the kind of defensive stud who can start for a championship team as its 4th or so best player overall. I think Smart will be that, too.

Dude Artest never shot under 40% until his dying days in 2010, are you kidding me?

To compare Marcus Smart and say he has potential to value up to Artest is ridiculous.