Author Topic: Will Marcus Smart ever shoot 40%? Part 3  (Read 9713 times)

Re: Will Marcus Smart ever shoot 40%? Part 3
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2017, 10:14:21 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
April Fools.

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2017, 12:59:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I have been an advocate that if there was one player we had to trade to make room for Fultz or Ball, that it should be Bradley because he is a valuable asset and I thought Smart had better upside, would grow on offense(especially shooting) and would be cheaper.

But as this season has moved on, I am slowly and surely starting to change my mind about who to move. Smart's shooting is abysmal. His abilities to drive and finish or drive and dish are bad. He is a good floor general and can pass well from the perimeter. He is good at posting up guards.

But, despite his All-Defense quality defense and his will to lead, encourage and push his team mates to play better, I just do not see his offense getting better. I love Smart. I do. But if Ainge believes Smart will never get his shooting better, Smart has to be the one to go in a trade to upgrade the front court.

I don't know, maybe you keep Smart and make him this team's sixth man forever and live with his bad shooting, and trade AB because he will bring in a higher quality player. This  is where I am leaning. I was certain this was what I wanted Ainge to do but this bad offensive season for Smart is making me wonder about that. With a poor offensive post season, I think I may change my mind and hope Smart is the one to go in a trade.

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2017, 02:21:58 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
As a diehard Smart fan I'll be honest and say that his current extended slump after the All Star Break has been really disheartening.
I still believe he's a much better player than he was and he still has another 2 seasons to prove that his shot is workable/can be improved.

I think he needs to lose some weight, and get rid of the hitch in his shooting stroke completely.
Hopefully we can sign him to a solid value contract and then have him sprout into a star.

I think he's very important to this team's success and we aren't making it past the 2nd round if he doesn't play up to his abilities. He's a crucial part of our defensive identity and a big weapon vs the best NBA scorers.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2017, 03:31:19 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
What were people expecting?  I've never seen any evidence at all that he would be a good offensive player.  Skills simply are not there. 

This is who he is.  Sorry for those hoping for more.

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2017, 03:39:44 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
What were people expecting?  I've never seen any evidence at all that he would be a good offensive player.  Skills simply are not there. 

I don't think people here believed he would become an elite offensive player. He's not a great shooter and likely will never be. BUT, he's also not as bad as he's been this past month. He's definitely in a bad funk right now.

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2017, 04:43:43 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
I think the real question here is he still a potential all star? He's not been very good. I wonder what the future holds for the Cobra Commander. He'll still be good for 15 mins of god tier defense.

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2017, 05:39:28 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

I don't think people here believed he would become an elite offensive player. He's not a great shooter and likely will never be. BUT, he's also not as bad as he's been this past month. He's definitely in a bad funk right now.
The bigger sample shows what he is so yeah, he's not as bad as he's been lately.  But the bigger sample also shows a historically bad offensive player.  As to becoming elite, that was never even on the table.  But hi skills don't even suggest this he'll develop into an average player.  There just isn't anything there.

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2017, 06:24:09 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
This goes back to why I have always told people in here that a guy like Elfrid Payton is way more talented than a Marcus Smart

Marcus has the intangibles to help a good team and get them to win, that is why I love Smart on this team.

But he is in no way better than talented guys like Payton.....Smart has to improve his offensive shooting. He can dribble and he has some poise but his shooting reeks.

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2017, 06:35:08 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
This goes back to why I have always told people in here that a guy like Elfrid Payton is way more talented than a Marcus Smart

Marcus has the intangibles to help a good team and get them to win, that is why I love Smart on this team.

But he is in no way better than talented guys like Payton.....Smart has to improve his offensive shooting. He can dribble and he has some poise but his shooting reeks.
Payton > Smart is far from obvious.

Smart is actually a better shooter.

Payton is much better at getting into the paint and way way better finishing there, but as a shooter, Smart is better.

Smart is also a better(and much more versatile) defender, and as you noted has all those antagonizer type intangibles.

Plus he has hit a lot of big shots for how bad he is as a shooter.

Ill take Marcus.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2017, 06:43:25 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton

Payton is much better at getting into the paint and way way better finishing there, but as a shooter, Smart is better.

Smart is also a better(and much more versatile) defender, and as you noted has all those antagonizer type intangibles.

Ill take Marcus.

You will take Marcus as I would on my team the Celtics

but Elfrid is light years better as an offensive weapon, he is easily one of the best top passing point guards in the league. I won't even continue to argue this anymore because it's ridiculous to even argue.

Better shooter lol? What does it matter if he is better when he sucks at shooting anyways lol. Marcus Smart is the worst shooter among guards in the league, because he chooses to shoot.

Elfrid is a terrible long range shooter but still gets buckets and doesnt have an ugly fg percentage.

Marcus Smart is our player, that is the only reason he is even good is because on this team he makes a difference.

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2017, 06:55:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Ill take Marcus.

but Elfrid is light years better as an offensive weapon, he is easily one of the best top passing point guards in the league. I won't even continue to argue this anymore because it's ridiculous to even argue.

Better shooter lol? What does it matter if he is better when he sucks at shooting anyways lol. Marcus Smart is the worst shooter among guards in the league, because he chooses to shoot.

Elfrid is a terrible long range shooter but still gets buckets and doesnt have an ugly fg percentage.

Marcus Smart is our player, that is the only reason he is even good is because on this team he makes a difference.
So you admit that about the only things Payton does better than Smart are passing( where Smart is a good passer but Payton is a great passer) and finishing at the rim. You also admit that Smart makes a difference on the Celtics, a team leading their conterence, while it can be argued that Payton is really having little to no effect on a team heading deep into the lottery because they are so bad, even though they have been picking in the top ten of the draft for years and years.

So you basically admit all that but then want to not only claim Payton is better than Smart, but then double down on that claim while admitting everything above? I can now see why you wouldn't want to argue the point.

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2017, 07:27:31 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton

Ill take Marcus.

So you admit that about the only things Payton does better than Smart are passing( where Smart is a good passer but Payton is a great passer) and finishing at the rim. You also admit that Smart makes a difference on the Celtics, a team leading their conterence, while it can be argued that Payton is really having little to no effect on a team heading deep into the lottery because they are so bad, even though they have been picking in the top ten of the draft for years and years.

So you basically admit all that but then want to not only claim Payton is better than Smart, but then double down on that claim while admitting everything above? I can now see why you wouldn't want to argue the point.

Payton is better because he has better skills. I don't have to go on at all after this.

Smart fits this team because he does all the hard work. If he was on a trash team he would still be an awful offensive player.

Smart has decent passing skill, don't get carried away.

The two teams are vastly different. Elfrid has trash, Smart plays with money players and a money coach.

Stop trying to disregard the point which is talent level.

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2017, 07:38:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Ill take Marcus.

Payton is better because he has better skills. I don't have to go on at all after this.

Smart fits this team because he does all the hard work. If he was on a trash team he would still be an awful offensive player.

The two teams are vastly different. Elfrid has trash, Smart plays with money players and a money coach.

Payton is a better athlete but doesn't have more talent. Nor is he a better all around basketball player because he isn't a difference maker because he doesn't have the intangibles that Smart does.

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2017, 07:42:03 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton

Ill take Marcus.

Payton is a better athlete but doesn't have more talent. Nor is he a better all around basketball player because he isn't a difference maker because he doesn't have the intangibles that Smart does.

He has way more talent. Way more.

Marcus Smart has more tenacity, more hustle, more ability to guard every position. That's it.

I watch both play , I know exactly the differences. If Marcus had a bit more skill he would be beast, but you see that he does not, hence his horrific numbers. Why do people continue to deny this?

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2017, 08:05:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I watched both play too and have come up with an opposite opinion. Here is the statistical comparison for this year. It shows that Payton is a slightly better offensive player but overall, Payton isn't even a good offensive player, just better than a bad offensive player like Smart. But Smart is world's better as a defensive player. Smart will most likely be a multiple time NBA All-Defense member in his career. Payton will never make another All NBA team after his rookie recognition. Add that to your own admission that Smart is more versatile defensively, has more tenacity, more hustle and IMO more leadership and clutchness and it leads me to believe Smart has more talent and is a better all around basketball player. His basketball talent just happens to be on the defensive end, not offensive.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Marcus+Smart&player_id1_select=Marcus+Smart&y1=2017&player_id1=smartma01&player_id2_hint=Elfrid+Payton&player_id2_select=Elfrid+Payton&y2=2017&player_id2=paytoel01