Author Topic: Will Marcus Smart ever shoot 40%? Part 3  (Read 9700 times)

Re: Will Marcus Smart ever shoot 40%? Part 3
« Reply #105 on: May 22, 2017, 05:19:50 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Marcus needs to lose the fat. His development has been completely stunted offensively due to his struggling first-step and overall quickness. To help put this into context:

Marcus Smart recorded the 2nd highest body fat, for a PG taken in the 1st round, since the NBA began recording measurements back in 2000.

« Reply #106 on: May 22, 2017, 05:22:50 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
I hope he shoots 30% all the way to Banner #20.

« Reply #107 on: May 22, 2017, 05:43:52 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Marcus needs to lose the fat. His development has been completely stunted offensively due to his struggling first-step and overall quickness. To help put this into context:

Marcus Smart recorded the 2nd highest body fat, for a PG taken in the 1st round, since the NBA began recording measurements back in 2000.

What if you classified him as a SG or SF?

Subquestion: What if we thought of Smart as a point forward who can guard guards?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 05:56:33 PM by Dino Pitino »
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #108 on: May 22, 2017, 06:30:31 PM »

• Ray Allen

Subquestion: What if we thought of Smart as a point forward who can guard guards?
I'll look it up now. A couple things I need first to help me narrow the list:
- the source ( like the NBA draft combine or hoop summit or USA camp or team testing...I'll just search all of them)
- drafting parameters: Smart was taken #7 overall and we could judge him based off of players: undrafted, drafted, 1st round, and lottery

« Reply #109 on: May 22, 2017, 06:42:23 PM »

• Ray Allen

- the source ( like the NBA draft combine or hoop summit or USA camp or team testing...I'll just search all of them)
- drafting parameters: Smart was taken #7 overall and we could judge him based off of players: undrafted, drafted, 1st round, and lottery
Before I search it should be known that Smart's athletic testing was off the charts (Lebron territory) when you factored in his strength, agility, speed, vertical, mass, and output for POWER. For instance he was jumping higher, benching far more, and running just as fast (agility & sprint test) as Elfrid Payton....who he outweighed by almost 50 POUNDS!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #110 on: May 22, 2017, 07:25:24 PM »

• Ray Allen

Before I search it should be known that Smart's athletic testing was off the charts (Lebron territory) when you factored in his strength, agility, speed, vertical, mass, and output for POWER. For instance he was jumping higher, benching far more, and running just as fast (agility & sprint test) as Elfrid Payton....who he outweighed by almost 50 POUNDS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not every player gets measured at the combine, that is why I included all sources but even then some are from when they are younger or there are none at all. This started happening more recently that the top players would not do the athletic testing but they would get measured. Now some of the top players will not even get measured.

This is how Marcus Smart's body fat compares with other recorded players drafted in the first round since 2000. Smart's body fat was 10.6 at the time of the combine...it is almost probably worse now.

PG: Smart is 2nd all time behind Marcus Williams from UConn drafted in 2006. Williams had a 12.4 body fat% at 215lbs. Smart was 10.6 % at 227lbs....Though , again, Smart crushed in the athletic testing. Williams had horrible agility and sprint speeds as well as verticals. Smart had the same agility and sprint times as Aaron Gordon and Elfrid Payton (both from his draft), both of whom are very athletic players.

SG: Smart would be 4th all time behind: Sasha Vujacic(14.1)  , (12.1) Nik Stauska, and (10.8)Jordan Adams.

SF: Smart would be 2nd all time behind Kyle Anderson who had 13.4 % body fat

Why am I making a thing out of his body fat? 1 reason. It is the ONLY athletic, length, strength, and speed measurement that Marcus did not do extremely well in. Even with having all-time worst bodyfat he put up amazing numbers in literally every. For example, his lane agility was 10.82 seconds which was better than:John Wall, Westbrook, and Chris Paul....while having almost double the body-fat. He was also very young for a soph, which should be noted.

Smart's strength is self-evident. But he did bench-press 185lbs 19x with a 6'9'' wingspan. 19 is the best in dx database for a PG ever...15 is the next closest from Deron Williams. The bench-press record is 27 reps....

IMO Smart would not have an issue with his first-step nor an overall quickness issue if he cut his body-fat to an ideal 5-6%...which is basically what most opposing PG's have.

« Reply #111 on: May 22, 2017, 07:31:43 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Even Tommy Heinson called him overweight. It's hard to argue that he isn't. It would not only help his game, but also his long-term health if he trims a bit of fat.

« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2017, 07:39:56 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4

Not every player gets measured at the combine, that is why I included all sources but even then some are from when they are younger or there are none at all. This started happening more recently that the top players would not do the athletic testing but they would get measured. Now some of the top players will not even get measured.

This is how Marcus Smart's body fat compares with other recorded players drafted in the first round since 2000. Smart's body fat was 10.6 at the time of the combine...it is almost probably worse now.

PG: Smart is 2nd all time behind Marcus Williams from UConn drafted in 2006. Williams had a 12.4 body fat% at 215lbs. Smart was 10.6 % at 227lbs....Though , again, Smart crushed in the athletic testing. Williams had horrible agility and sprint speeds as well as verticals. Smart had the same agility and sprint times as Aaron Gordon and Elfrid Payton (both from his draft), both of whom are very athletic players.

SG: Smart would be 4th all time behind: Sasha Vujacic(14.1)  , (12.1) Nik Stauska, and (10.8)Jordan Adams.

Why am I making a thing out of his body fat? 1 reason. It is the ONLY athletic, length, strength, and speed measurement that Marcus did not do extremely well in. Even with having all-time worst bodyfat he put up amazing numbers in literally every. For example, his lane agility was 10.82 seconds which was better than:John Wall, Westbrook, and Chris Paul....while having almost double the body-fat. He was also very young for a soph, which should be noted.

Smart's strength is self-evident. But he did bench-press 185lbs 19x with a 6'9'' wingspan. 19 is the best in dx database for a PG ever...15 is the next closest from Deron Williams. The bench-press record is 27 reps....

IMO Smart would not have an issue with his first-step nor an overall quickness issue if he cut his body-fat to an ideal 5-6%...which is basically what most opposing PG's have.
I think you are incorrect. Marcus might be a little quicker, a little more adept to deal with quicker 1s and 2s and he may be able to be a bit more explosive, but he just isnt an explosive guy.

hes got terrific lateral quickness and two-footed explosion. Thats where his thunderous putbacks and unreal defense come from. Unfortunately that specific type of athleticism doesnt help you blow by defenders.

« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2017, 07:54:26 PM »

• Ray Allen

I think you are incorrect. Marcus might be a little quicker, a little more adept to deal with quicker 1s and 2s and he may be able to be a bit more explosive, but he just isnt an explosive guy.

hes got terrific lateral quickness and two-footed explosion. Thats where his thunderous putbacks and unreal defense come from. Unfortunately that specific type of athleticism doesnt help you blow by defenders.
Numbers don't lie. He's an all-time athlete based on certain numbers and the ONLY thing he is bad in is an all-time worst .....in 3 positions. IMO, he drops down to 205 he will be quicker and first-step will improve.