Author Topic: Will Marcus Smart ever shoot 40%? Part 3  (Read 9709 times)

Will Marcus Smart ever shoot 40%? Part 3
« on: March 31, 2017, 10:18:19 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
Every year the same question.

He is shooting 18 Percent from 3 in MARCH , i don't even know how anybody can do that.

Brook Lopez who is a center and now shooting 3 pointers for the first time ever is shooting 35% and attempting 5 three's a game also in MARCH

Smart shot 29% from the field in March

What is the explanation for this?

Re: Will Marcus Smart ever shoot 40%? Part 3
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 10:27:24 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

He is shooting 18 Percent from 3 in MARCH , i don't even know how anybody can do that.

Brook Lopez who is a center and now shooting 3 pointers for the first time ever is shooting 35% and attempting 5 three's a game also in MARCH

You have obviously never seen me shoot a basketball.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 10:36:15 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72

You have obviously never seen me shoot a basketball.  ;D

12 -  64

i bet you can do that

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 10:46:57 PM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
I thought this was the year. It looked promising for most of the year but his mechanics look more broken than they ever have at this point in the season.

The one thing I keep holding on to is that he was able to fix his free throw shooting to become a solid free throw shooter. He's a confident kid, so hopefully he figures it out.

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 11:44:44 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
If nothing else, in 2017 Marcus has certainly cemented his spot on the Mount Rushmore of "most polarizing/frustrating players in CB history," along with Jeff Green and Rajon Rondo. It's select company.

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 11:56:14 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Hes having a rough stretch but part of the reason his percentage is that low are the 2-3 heaves each game at the end of quarters as time expires. Id like to see someone run his 3p% without those shots. Probably still bad but I bet it wouldnt be nearly as bad

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 12:02:24 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Hes having a rough stretch but part of the reason his percentage is that low are the 2-3 heaves each game at the end of quarters as time expires. Id like to see someone run his 3p% without those shots. Probably still bad but I bet it wouldnt be nearly as bad
BasketballReference does this. He's got 9 heaves on the season (not 2-3 per game). That brings his percentage from .277 to .285. So no, you're wrong, and his percentage is nearly as bad.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/smartma01.html
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 12:16:08 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
BasketballReference does this. He's got 9 heaves on the season (not 2-3 per game). That brings his percentage from .277 to .285. So no, you're wrong, and his percentage is nearly as bad.

Yeah, that's a BS number. To say Smart only has 9 "heaves" on the season is ridiculous; he literally had three alone the other night in the Bucks game.

I'm guessing you're getting the 9 number from "back court shots," as NBA.com labels it, but that is not completely representative of what people consider "heaves." He's had probably three times as many as the "back court heaves" from the deep three territory inside of halfcourt.

2-3 per game is hyperbole, though he legitimately had 3 the other night against Milwaukee, but it wouldn't surprise me if he averaged more than 1 per game. And that's not even counting the other times when he shoots late in the shot clock from the regular distance threes either.

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 12:17:16 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

Ahh yes a .8% increase. Looks like I was right!

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 12:27:31 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I'd be content with like 32% from 3. anything above 30% really

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 12:51:42 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I'd be content with like 32% from 3. anything above 30% really
I'd be content if he heaved fewer of them bricks.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 07:19:42 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
A large part of it is the 2nd unit has not scorer so he has to jack up shots. Last year they had Turner to be able to bail them out on offense when the second unit was on the court. They need to pair him with someone who can score and not create the opportunity for him to just hoist up shots.

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2017, 07:27:03 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He is definitely in a funk and it is building up on him.   He missed two bunnies yesterday.  You could almost see the weight on his shoulder following this misses.  It has never been a strength for him to begin with.   I hope he works on shooting  next summer and his quickness.  I think those are the two areas that would boost his offense.

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2017, 09:28:38 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
A large part of it is the 2nd unit has not scorer so he has to jack up shots. Last year they had Turner to be able to bail them out on offense when the second unit was on the court. They need to pair him with someone who can score and not create the opportunity for him to just hoist up shots.
The second unit has Rozier and Brown, and both of these are better scorers than Smart. Also, Smarts plays 30 minutes a game and spends a substantial amount with the starters, and he launches exactly the same number of shots per minute as he did last year -- and that's still too many.

Marcus Smart's offensive woes are mostly about Marcus Smart -- and he will have to learn how to  play without exposing himself so much.

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2017, 09:59:21 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I think he will.  Especially if he ends up playing with Ball.

I also want to point out Marcus will always throw a full court shot in the last second of a quarter on the  hope it will go in. If he does that once a game that's 82 horrible percentage shots a year he's taking just to try to help the team.