Author Topic: 2017 Draft - 2nd Round Prospects  (Read 15567 times)

Re: 2017 Draft - 2nd Round Prospects
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2017, 11:10:27 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
NBADRAFT.net has us taking Swanigan at 37, Fusek ( would love to see this guy...) at 53 and Monte Morris at 56.
Yeah, but more importantly, who's #1?

I'm ok with the mocked players above. I would like to have a shooter off the bench (really like Lydon, Thornwell, Hart or Peters) or someone who can crash the boards and play some D (Swanigan, Bell, Motley or Cam Oliver). There's a lot of talent that is pretty equal so it depends who floats whose boat. We can't go wrong with pick 37. Draft and stash is a possibility for the 2 later picks unless DA finds another prospect that he had rated highly or considered with pick 37.

« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2017, 11:23:10 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
With the 56th pick the Celtics take- Michael Fusek!

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/forums/OtherGround/Thoughts-on-75-NBA-prospect-for-next-year:2585035

From Fansided:

Michael Fusek

Strengths He is 7-foot-5 and a center from Slovakia.  He is surprisingly agile for a big man, adding a 30 inch leap to an already towering vantage point.  Defensively, he is nearly NBA-ready.  He excels at shot-blocking and is a solid rebounder.

Weaknesses He is awfully tall, but only 220 pounds.  As such, he will be pushed around like a tumbleweed in the NBA.  He also is extremely raw on offense.  In two seasons in Eurocup play, he averaged two and four points per game respectfully.

If you want to catch the young man’s highlight video, you find find it here at this link.

Once more, he is a true sky scraper.  If the 76ers deal a center, you can believe the team will consider someone of Michael Fusek’s stature.
I was calling it way before you guys were...but tp for the digging.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2017, 07:51:15 AM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
NBADRAFT.net has us taking Swanigan at 37, Fusek ( would love to see this guy...) at 53 and Monte Morris at 56.

Still in love with the Swanigan fit for us. I don't think he ever becomes a starter, but for a team that struggles to rebound the basketball, a Leon Powe type role player would be a great fit. I would ultimately like to see us go after one player like Swanigan who looks like a surefire role player at the next level and a bunch of stashes if we keep our picks in the second round.

« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2017, 08:31:30 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
If something shakes up our guard situation, I'd look at Frank Jackson at #37.  Good shooter. Reasonably good size and very good athletically (42" Max vert).  One of the younger players having recently turned 19. 

« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2017, 08:39:46 AM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
If something shakes up our guard situation, I'd look at Frank Jackson at #37.  Good shooter. Reasonably good size and very good athletically (42" Max vert).  One of the younger players having recently turned 19.

I really, really don't see him falling to 37. If he somehow did it'd be tempting, but he's not the type of player that is going to get any minutes on our team. Our guard situation would have to be seriously shaken up, too. Like not having 3 out of the potential group of Fultz, Thomas, Bradley, Smart and Rozier.

« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2017, 10:07:53 AM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
We need this kid: https://twitter.com/draftexpress/status/873526681188929536

Semi knows his role well and compared himself to Draymond Green/ Jae Crowder.

« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2017, 11:18:11 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
We need this kid: https://twitter.com/draftexpress/status/873526681188929536

Semi knows his role well and compared himself to Draymond Green/ Jae Crowder.

Just watched that video as well, I think he'd be a great pick up at 37.  Looks more fluid and athletic than Crowder.  Ainge in attendance at his workout.

« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2017, 11:28:49 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

I really, really don't see him falling to 37. If he somehow did it'd be tempting, but he's not the type of player that is going to get any minutes on our team. Our guard situation would have to be seriously shaken up, too. Like not having 3 out of the potential group of Fultz, Thomas, Bradley, Smart and Rozier.
I don't think so either but DraftExpress and NBADraft.net still have him at #39 and #37.  There are a lot of interesting prospects in this draft so you never know.  If he's available at #36, the Sixers really should take him.  For us he wouldn't get much playing time next season after that there is going to have to be a shakeup.  At least one of Thomas, Bradley and Smart will be gone.  Rozier isn't a high hurdle to surpass. 

« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2017, 11:37:11 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I don't think so either but DraftExpress and NBADraft.net still have him at #39 and #37.  There are a lot of interesting prospects in this draft so you never know.  If he's available at #36, the Sixers really should take him.  For us he wouldn't get much playing time next season after that there is going to have to be a shakeup.  At least one of Thomas, Bradley and Smart will be gone.  Rozier isn't a high hurdle to surpass.

1) This is not completely guaranteed.
2) Even if it does occur, Fultz will get the bulk of the vacated minutes, and Jaylen Brown at the 2 could get the rest.
3) 4th-year Rozier could be a decently high hurdle to surpass.  2nd-year Rozier is passable.  Depends on development.

That said, with second-rounders, I'm 100% BPA, because you're just looking for depth at that point in the draft, not someone who is likely to win a rotation spot.

« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2017, 11:53:36 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

2) Even if it does occur, Fultz will get the bulk of the vacated minutes, and Jaylen Brown at the 2 could get the rest.
3) 4th-year Rozier could be a decently high hurdle to surpass.  2nd-year Rozier is passable.  Depends on development.

That said, with second-rounders, I'm 100% BPA, because you're just looking for depth at that point in the draft, not someone who is likely to win a rotation spot.
Do you really think Ainge would commit 60M+ to re-sign IT, Bradley and Smart if he drafts Fultz?  I have doubts that he'd re-sign all three even if he doesn't draft Fultz. 

I'm pretty much 100% BPA throughout the draft unless you have to settle to do a draft and stash. 

« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2017, 12:06:46 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Do you really think Ainge would commit 60M+ to re-sign IT, Bradley and Smart if he drafts Fultz?  I have doubts that he'd re-sign all three even if he doesn't draft Fultz. 

I'm pretty much 100% BPA throughout the draft unless you have to settle to do a draft and stash.

I do because Smart is so versatile defensively that you can easily play some three-guard lineups.  All would have long-term trade value, as well, which could be important for matching salaries down the road.

The above is only an option if we strike out in free agency, but given the free agent market this year, that's a very reasonable possibility.  So while I don't necesssarily expect that all three will be extended/re-signed, I wouldn't be surprised to see it either.

« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2017, 01:38:49 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell

We'd still be looking at 5 guards ahead of a second round rookie if we get rid of a guy, the worst of which is a near lottery pick in his 4th year who just played solid minutes in a playoff run.

« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2017, 02:46:30 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

We'd still be looking at 5 guards ahead of a second round rookie if we get rid of a guy, the worst of which is a near lottery pick in his 4th year who just played solid minutes in a playoff run.
Color me not impressed with Rozier.  Ainge drafted Rozier at #16 but that was a reach.  Just like him drafting Yabu at #16.  I know Smart lowers the standard around here but Fultz shot 31.8 3P% in the regular season.  Not sure what his play in the playoffs did to engender such hope. 

Many of the names mentioned on here are projected to go higher than #37.  Looking at the DraftExpress mock from 37 and later, for me it would probably come down to Jackson, Swanigan and maybe Motley.  Ainge should choose BPA regardless of position unless the difference is negligible. 

« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2017, 03:39:56 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
There are always a few who drop out of the first, hopefully we get one.  I think Ball may drop out of the top three, too.