Author Topic: 2017 Draft - 2nd Round Prospects  (Read 15551 times)

Re: 2017 Draft - 2nd Round Prospects
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 07:02:20 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I like what DA did last year in the draft using his latter first-rounders on stashes.

With our logjam and possible cap space issues (if we sign another max FA, I don't think we can sign too many draftees), I hope he can take flyers on some international guys and see if they pan out.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2017, 12:38:35 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
anyone know more about Semi Ojeleye??   projected to go in the 2nd round? 

looks like a more explosive Jae Crowder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nlu4TL0qWro
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 01:11:43 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2017, 06:42:03 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
The 7 ft 5 guy is projected to be drafted at the end of the draft. Doesn't seem to garner any interest which is red flag to me

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2017, 11:11:38 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Will look into thornwell

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2017, 11:32:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Will look into thornwell

Leapfrogs into 1st round imo

Like a marcus smart but with better offensive skills/shooter

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2017, 12:26:03 AM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I like Nigel Williams-Goss to replace Demetrius Jackson as our D league representative and back up point guard of the future. I think we need to get bigger and more athletic across the board.  Brown, Yabusele, and Zizic represent a move towards a bigger, more athletic, and more physical team.  Williams-Goss is 6'3 and DJ is 6'1, so we can develop a bench with size.  Also, Williams-Goss really knows how to mange the tempo of a game, plays really good defense, and has that killer instinct and the dead eye clutch shot to go with it.  I think he could develop into a really nice back up PG.  We're going to have to make some tough decisions on our back court really soon and I can see us eventually having a nice second unit of Williams-Goss and Rozier.

I think Caleb Swanigan can be special, I'm thinking Horace Grant like, so I would love to package a few 2nd rounder picks and the rights to someone like Abdel Nader or James Young to move in to the back of the first round to get him.  My guess is that he goes earlier than expected, maybe 15-20, so I doubt we cant get him. 

Chris Boucher is an interesting prospect.  He could be what we hoped Mickey would be.  Also Boucher is 6'10 and Mickey is 6'8 so there's that size thing again. He should be available at the bottom of the second round.

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2017, 11:11:49 AM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
I like the DJ Wilson kid from Michigan.  Big and athletic and seems like a late bloomer.  Could be a Jerebko replacement.

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2017, 11:17:34 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I like Nigel Williams-Goss to replace Demetrius Jackson as our D league representative and back up point guard of the future. I think we need to get bigger and more athletic across the board.  Brown, Yabusele, and Zizic represent a move towards a bigger, more athletic, and more physical team.  Williams-Goss is 6'3 and DJ is 6'1, so we can develop a bench with size.  Also, Williams-Goss really knows how to mange the tempo of a game, plays really good defense, and has that killer instinct and the dead eye clutch shot to go with it.  I think he could develop into a really nice back up PG.  We're going to have to make some tough decisions on our back court really soon and I can see us eventually having a nice second unit of Williams-Goss and Rozier.

I think Caleb Swanigan can be special, I'm thinking Horace Grant like, so I would love to package a few 2nd rounder picks and the rights to someone like Abdel Nader or James Young to move in to the back of the first round to get him.  My guess is that he goes earlier than expected, maybe 15-20, so I doubt we cant get him. 

Chris Boucher is an interesting prospect.  He could be what we hoped Mickey would be.  Also Boucher is 6'10 and Mickey is 6'8 so there's that size thing again. He should be available at the bottom of the second round.

I watched a lot of Oregon this year....they could've won it all if Boucher wasn't injured....I've followed him the past few years.

2 problems with him are his season-ending injury  and his age (I think 25?).

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2017, 11:34:15 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Boucher seems unlikely to ever develop the strength necessary to compete as a big.  He also doesn't seem to have much offensive game besides dunks and 3's.

Ojeleye reminds a lot of Crowder, here's a snippet from Draft Express: "Offensively, Ojeleye showed his warts as he's so used to being able to rely on his superior strength at the AAC level, which was very unsuccessful vs NBA-caliber talent. His lack of extension around the rim was evident, and his struggles creating much space from the perimeter given his body type hurt him at times. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/article/nba-combine-competitive-action-recap-day-two-5929/ ©DraftExpress"

Williams-Goss I like, but I don't think he's as athletic as DJ.  He is bigger though, and has a better control of the game as mentioned above.

Jeanne I would love to get, reportedly had a great showing at the combine, and is probably not going to be available at 37.  Moving up to snag someone like him or Allen from UT would be a huge score.

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2017, 12:11:23 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
look out for non high profile prospects that won sec/big 12 etc player of the year...  these type of players will probably get Dannys interested (example Tony Allen)

Thornwell, Ojeleye, Justin Jackson...

one may drop down to  37

Or Danny could trade this pick, plus the other 2nds or future 2nds to move up higher, if there is a guy he really likes

At this point I will be surprised if he drafts a "project"... like a Diallo. 

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2017, 12:13:51 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
look out for non high profile prospects that won sec/big 12 etc player of the year...  these type of players will probably get Dannys interested (example Tony Allen)

one may drop down to  37

Or Danny could trade this pick, plus the other 2nds or future 2nds to move up higher, if there is a guy he really likes

I guess he has learned his lesson with James Young?

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2017, 12:23:54 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell

one may drop down to  37

or Giannis?

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2017, 12:26:09 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell

I love him as a college player, and think he'll have a decent pro career, but please Danny don't draft Frank Mason.

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2017, 12:44:20 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

one may drop down to  37

or Giannis?
I certainly hope Giannis is the lesson he learned.  Although I would have chosen TLC or Kormaz instead but Ainge taking Yabu, a 2nd round project, at #16 gives me hope that he did. 

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2017, 01:01:10 PM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
I believe the only reason DA picked yabu and zicic last year was money and stashing to give them time to develop to best use his assets.  I don't know how it works with 2nd rounder but I would do the same thing with those picks this year.