Author Topic: Don't trade 2018 pick - Look at the Unicorns!!  (Read 5063 times)

Re: Don't trade 2018 pick - Look at the Unicorns!!
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2017, 01:18:42 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
If there are around 3-5 all star caliber talents, cant trade the pick. Considering we just need the Nets to be bottom 5.. pretty likely.

Besides, gotta build the post-LBJ era team. No sense in going all-in now
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2017, 01:19:54 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I dont agree with this author much. Nor do I agree with many of this the player assessments in this article but many of the things said about Ayton are spot on.

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2017, 01:45:07 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Sorry, but the "no incentive" to tank is still a factor.  It almost cost us the last spot this season. And still may.

Brooklyn had no incentive to tank this year.  Despite that, they have a 4 game lead on the last spot with 5 games to go.  "Having no incentive to tank" doesn't magically make a horrible roster competent, and this year's Net's roster is the prefect example of it.

Trying hard to win games doesn't matter when your team sucks.  That's why this year's Net's team has won fewer games to date than last year and has a record that would put them in the bottom 2 or 3 of every one of the past 5 seasons.  They need real improvement, either through adding players (draft/trade/FA) or real development from their young guys, if they want to be anything more than a bottom feeder next year.  That's no more likely to happen this summer than it was last summer, despite also "having no incentive to tank" in last year's offseason.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2017, 02:23:10 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
The Nets lost to the 76ers a few days ago during their run to "almost not get the worst spot."  The Suns and Lakers will be bad next year, but the Nets will be third worst.  Maybe the Kings and maybe the Magic too, but we're looking at an almost guaranteed top 8 pick.

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2017, 03:03:26 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Right now...TheRinger.com ranks them as the second most hopeless team going into next year...only Orlando ranks worse.

https://theringer.com/the-bad-nba-team-power-rankings-68d6f791e5f4

That only strengthens the notion that we should keep the 2018 pick.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 03:41:43 PM by The One »

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2017, 05:45:12 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

They do have room to grow with guys like Lin, RHJ, and Levert. How much better can they get in 1 season. 8 wins?

Lin staying healthy would be huge for them. Suck it up and trade Lopez.

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2017, 06:09:25 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Doncic is a European white guy (please, don't intend any trace of race bias here, I fit this description), good size for his position but nothing special regarding athleticism.

However, his range of skills and the fact he is dominating the second-best club competition in the world with 17-18 years can give him the "unicorn" description in some sense. Another project to consider as top-3 pick.

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2017, 06:13:50 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I'm willing to roll the dice and hope the Nets don't make a marked improvement to their roster and are a bottom team next year as well.

While they don't have to be quite as bad since our pick is unprotected, I am not willing to bet that they will be bottom-5 next year.  They still have a ton of cap space and can easily sign enough mid-level veterans to get out of the bottom-10 in the league. 

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2017, 08:38:41 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I'm willing to roll the dice and hope the Nets don't make a marked improvement to their roster and are a bottom team next year as well.

While they don't have to be quite as bad since our pick is unprotected, I am not willing to bet that they will be bottom-5 next year.  They still have a ton of cap space and can easily sign enough mid-level veterans to get out of the bottom-10 in the league.

How was that any different then this past offseason?
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2017, 07:39:42 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Doncic is number 1 in Draft Express's mock.

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2017, 07:50:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
When coming out of high school Towns and Okafor were considered "unicorns" too. Now in the pros, one is a horrible defender and the other seems lazy and has an out of date game.

How about we let these ternagers get to the pros and play a year before declaring them some exteaordinary talent that can't miss?

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2017, 07:59:53 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Doncic is number 1 in Draft Express's mock.

About time!

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2017, 08:20:01 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
When coming out of high school Towns and Okafor were considered "unicorns" too. Now in the pros, one is a horrible defender and the other seems lazy and has an out of date game.

How about we let these ternagers get to the pros and play a year before declaring them some exteaordinary talent that can't miss?
booooo!!!!

next years draft has 8 or 9 hall of famers.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2017, 08:36:37 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

"easily"?  hardly.  any player worth anything will sign a contract with a team that's at least decent unless the Nets choose to overpay at a ridiculous level for mediocre talent.  if they do that, they use up their cap quickly and still end up with crappy record.

they will not get anyone in free agency that will be of much help in improving that team -- certainly nothing that would get them out of having a bottom 5 record

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2017, 08:54:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

booooo!!!!

next years draft has 8 or 9 hall of famers.
Lol Ilike....just ignore the old grouchy guy....go on with the unicorn watching.  :) :D ;D