Author Topic: thomas trade  (Read 3639 times)

thomas trade
« on: March 31, 2017, 07:34:01 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
if someone came... like the sixers and offered 2 firsts(theirs and lakers 2017) and okafor for thomas would you pull the trigger?

Re: thomas trade
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 07:41:01 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
No.

I don't know why the 76ers would actually do that but regardless, that trade would pretty much set the C's back about 5 years. They already have a young roster and more picks that they don't know what to do with or actually fit on the roster. The C's should be consolidating picks for quality players if they make deals, not trading the guy who single handedly put you back on the map of relevance.

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 08:39:17 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
So if we got like the #3 and #5 picks plus Okafor for IT? Yeah, sure - DA is all about value and that is way too much to turn down.

It would probably mean moving on from guys like Horford and AB this summer, but we would get value back for those guys, too.

I am definitely not pushing such a move - I like our team and think we have the pieces to keep getting better - but if DA doesn't have a plan to make us contenders this summer, he would be stupid not to take such a deal.

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 09:25:48 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I think you put it on the owners. It's a business first. Without IT this team is taking a huge step back in ratings, ticket sales, and playoff $. Meaning it also diminishes the overall team value that makes it an ownership call.

I'd way more prefer trading  two 2017 seconds, C's 2018 1st and AB for their lower of those picks. If 76ers pair AB and one of the top three PGs this draft that's a great back court. Plus I'd love to see the rivalry turn up. 76ers need a few vet guys to be good enough to consider it one.

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 01:04:44 PM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
So if we got like the #3 and #5 picks plus Okafor for IT? Yeah, sure - DA is all about value and that is way too much to turn down.

It would probably mean moving on from guys like Horford and AB this summer, but we would get value back for those guys, too.

I am definitely not pushing such a move - I like our team and think we have the pieces to keep getting better - but if DA doesn't have a plan to make us contenders this summer, he would be stupid not to take such a deal.

..., then we are realy wasting these great players under great contracts. Danny has to pull the trigger maybe just 1 more time. We all know what would that be. We just have to utilize this great team with one more upgrade and become real contenders and not just for a year or 2.

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 04:29:38 PM »

Offline the_gunner

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
I'm not really interested in selling Thomas. I believe he is a franchise player due to his personality and of course on offence.

If I should trade Thomas it would be for a player like Karl Anthony Towns, but how much extra do you guys think we should pay extra to get him.

If we can get Fultz or Ball in the draft we would be extremely strong on the guard position with Brown, Fultz, AB and Smart. We could sign Hayward and pair him with Crowder and we could have two strong bigmen in Horford and Towns, with fairly good subs depending on who we want to re-sign.

My question to you guys is: How much more than IT would it take to get Towns to Boston?

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 04:45:41 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
My question to you guys is: How much more than IT would it take to get Towns to Boston?

We can't. Period.

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 04:03:13 PM »

Offline the_gunner

• Payton Pritchard
But why can't we trade him. We have a lot of trade chips, and Thomas is probably the best non-rookie-contract in the NBA.

It's not like Towns is a new Lebron, så if we give up the 18th Nets pick they would have a fair chance of getting a similar player. Include a number of other assets(picks and youngsters) and the trade would be fair.

Minnesota got plenty of good bigs but they need smaller players, and I don't think they can get a better guard than IT.

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 04:09:32 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
But why can't we trade him. We have a lot of trade chips, and Thomas is probably the best non-rookie-contract in the NBA.

It's not like Towns is a new Lebron, så if we give up the 18th Nets pick they would have a fair chance of getting a similar player. Include a number of other assets(picks and youngsters) and the trade would be fair.

Minnesota got plenty of good bigs but they need smaller players, and I don't think they can get a better guard than IT.
Because Towns is a young talented center on a rookie deal while Thomas is a point guard who's a FA after next season?

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 04:13:06 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
if someone came... like the sixers and offered 2 firsts(theirs and lakers 2017) and okafor for thomas would you pull the trigger?

You mean the Godfather offer? It's an offer you can't refuse. While I'm an advocate of staying on the current course of competing while back filling even better talent, if that offer were made then I think that's when you just commit to the rebuild with both hands. Brown, Smart, Zizic, Yabu, two good picks from 2017 and 2018? That's how dynasties are made.

No doubt the Cs would take a step back from that but the maturation of Brown might help fill the scoring role to some extent (though not totally). Offensively you'd probably have Fultz or Bell, Jackson or Tatum and then someone else. That's a lot of offensive firepower to replace IT. Defensively, IT is a net negative so I don't think you'd lose much from that end of the court.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 04:17:38 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743

lol @ all of this. Towns is looking like he's going to be the best center in the league for the next decade. He's untouchable. Minnesota would be foolish to let him go for anything right now.

As for the proposed Thomas trade: Yeah, you have to do that because it's incredible value for Thomas, given his age and situation. Then you have plenty of assets to throw at Indiana for Paul George.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 04:56:10 PM »

Offline mahcussmaht

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
The problem with all the trade Thomas talk is that he's probably not worth much on the open market. Next year is the last of his contract. Teams will still avoid trading for him because of his defense. I don't even think he'd get a similar package to what the Kings got for Cousins.  Maybe a lottery pick.

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 04:58:30 PM »

Offline the_gunner

• Payton Pritchard

lol @ all of this. Towns is looking like he's going to be the best center in the league for the next decade. He's untouchable. Minnesota would be foolish to let him go for anything right now.

As for the proposed Thomas trade: Yeah, you have to do that because it's incredible value for Thomas, given his age and situation. Then you have plenty of assets to throw at Indiana for Paul George.

First of all I believe Anthony Davis is still at better center and Boogie is also in the running, so it's not like Towns will be in a league of his own for the next 10 years. I know he is younger, but I don't think he will be better.

If we trade next years Nets pick they would have a great chance of getting a great center. Deandre Ayton could be one of the top picks, and if they don't like him they will have a selection of good PF or C's to choose from in a draft with a lot of good bigmen.

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2017, 05:01:30 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
The problem with all the trade Thomas talk is that he's probably not worth much on the open market. Next year is the last of his contract. Teams will still avoid trading for him because of his defense. I don't even think he'd get a similar package to what the Kings got for Cousins.  Maybe a lottery pick.
You could be right. How many teams in the league are in need of a point guard right now? And how many of them are close enough to contending that they would want him at 28 years old? And of those teams, who is going to want to pay him big money a year from now? And how much will that team want to give up knowing there's a chance he's a rental?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2017, 05:04:25 PM »

Offline mahcussmaht

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
You could be right. How many teams in the league are in need of a point guard right now? And how many of them are close enough to contending that they would want him at 28 years old? And of those teams, who is going to want to pay him big money a year from now? And how much will that team want to give up knowing there's a chance he's a rental?
Why would anyone give up two top 8 picks in this draft when it's filled with future star point guards like Fox, Ntilikina, and Dennis Smith? That's stupid. Everyone who thinks it's in our best interest to trade Thomas needs to step back and realize you are going to get pennies on the dollar for him when you trade him. You could maybe get a lottery pick for him. I'm not even sure that is realistic without an extension in place. He's got one year left on his deal and then is going to demand a max contract. The kind of return you will get for Thomas is similar to the type of return we got for Rondo.