Poll

Which transendent big would you be willing to go after with the Brooklyn pick?

Kristaps Porzingis
3 (8.3%)
Karl-Anthony Towns
14 (38.9%)
Anthony Davis
14 (38.9%)
Other
2 (5.6%)
Keep the pick
3 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Going big, Red Auerbach style  (Read 2167 times)

Going big, Red Auerbach style
« on: March 31, 2017, 05:20:24 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Hi all.

I made a similar thread the season we ended up picking Smart and shipping out Rondo. This is not a Smart thread though.

If we wound up with the number 1 pick in a draft rich in guards, but not so much in bigs, do we have a go at replicating the 1980 trade that landed us Parish and Mchale?

For example maybe we can sell the Pelicans on picking a very good guard/wing to round out their perimeter in exchange for Davis?

Can we make something similar happen for Porzingis or Towns?

Would it be smarter to fill some other need. Maybe Butler or Hayward (S&T)?

What do you think?
Banner 18 please 😍

Re: Going big, Red Auerbach style
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 07:18:46 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Although it may make sense for New Orleans to make a move because of the upcoming salary issues, I think it would be fanbase suicide for them to trade AD. I really don't see any of the guys listed as even being remotely available. I would take any of the aforementioned for the pick plus pieces but none will be available. Maybe New Orleans would be willing to say they made a mistake with Cousins and be willing to move him.

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 02:59:06 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Although it may make sense for New Orleans to make a move because of the upcoming salary issues, I think it would be fanbase suicide for them to trade AD. I really don't see any of the guys listed as even being remotely available. I would take any of the aforementioned for the pick plus pieces but none will be available. Maybe New Orleans would be willing to say they made a mistake with Cousins and be willing to move him.

Interesting choice. As has been the chorus here in Celticsblog since the Neo-big three era. Can the Boston Celtics atmosphere change Demarcus Cousin's rep/attitude?

Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 06:14:36 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
AD isn't really a McHale and Parish type trade. You'd have to trade out of the draft to get him, and a lot more.

I was thinking about it the other day. Cousins would have been a good choice had he not been traded to NO. Other than that the only one that makes sense is Butler. If the Bulls slip back to say #10 then I think we could get their pick back as part of the deal.

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 06:21:00 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I voted for Towns, though you probably couldn't go wrong with either of those three.

I would love for Boston to land a duo akin to Parish/McHale.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 06:39:07 PM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I would give up both Nets Picks, Smart, the Clippers and Memphis picks along with one of Bradley or Crowder for KAT. Minny still says no.

PS I said Towns in the poll if that wasn't clear lol.
#JKJB

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 12:54:15 AM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28
I would give up both Nets Picks, Smart, the Clippers and Memphis picks along with one of Bradley or Crowder for KAT. Minny still says no.

Ainge would be immediately terminated and walked out of the building if he traded half the team plus all those assests just for a one-dimensional player like KAT

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 02:44:11 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

TP - pretty much this. If any of those teams are willing to trade those guys for our pick, I don't see a scenario where Ainge doesn't pull the trigger.

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 05:19:53 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
The Brooklyn pick and what else?

You can't land any of these unicorns only with the pick. At least we will need BOTH Brooklyn picks to start talking, plus Smart or Brown. These players are set to be the dominant force of the league for the next decade.

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 05:25:01 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Misread the title and thus misvoted, but out of those guys definitely AD. He's easily the most proven superstar of them all.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 10:09:47 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
None of these guys are "Red Auerbach style" bigs.  The game has changed and all 3 shoot from the outside.

In any case, none are available.

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 11:00:38 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
KAT and AD are going nowhere.  They could get Kristaps if they landed the #1 pick (probably would have to include another first as well).

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 01:39:35 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I voted for Anthony Davis but I'd take Towns as a consolation prize.  :-)

The #1 pick would give us Fultz but adding Davis or Towns would impact this team more.  The problem is I'm not sure the Pelicans or the T'Wolves would value Fultz over either of those guys.

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 01:48:30 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Ainge would be immediately terminated and walked out of the building if he traded half the team plus all those assests just for a one-dimensional player like KAT
exactly.  That's a lot for AD who's a better player than KAT.  4 first rounders (including a top 4 this year, likely top 8 next year and 2 other firsts) with Smart and AB/Crowder.  that's a hardline all-in move.  does that even work salary-wise?

only young player of note we're left with is Brown.