Author Topic: Pick #3/#4 or Jimmy Butler  (Read 8852 times)

Pick #3/#4 or Jimmy Butler
« on: March 30, 2017, 05:59:55 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
So let's say we end up only landing with #3 or #4, do you take Josh Jackson or somebody else or do you trade it away for Jimmy Butler and look forward to another top pick in 2018?

I personally say if we end up at 4 you trade it away either way. If we end up at #3 I might be inclined to grab Jackson because he could develop into a player very similar to Butler in his mid range/playmaking abilities.

Re: Pick #3/#4 or Jimmy Butler
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 06:13:36 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
No matter where we land (1-4) one could make a sturgeon argument to trade it for a proven all star player. As a team, we have matured to the point where it is time to support our current cast with one more star to make us legitimate year over year contenders for a sustained period of time (3-5 years).

By drafting at the pick, we would most likely continue to progress as we have (which is fine) and watch another young guy develop in parallel to Jaylen Brown, Zizic, Yabusele, Nader, Rozier, Smart, etc.

Either option is great...I personally prefer trading the pick regardless of where it ends up. Target would be PG13 though not Butler. LB would take a package of Avery Bradley/Tyler Zeller/Brooklyn 2017 for PG13. We would require it to be a sign and trade to give up that package. This starting five can compete with most any team in the league and our bench would not be depleted in the scenario below:

PG: Thomas
SG: Smart
SF: George
PF: Crowder
C: Horford

Bench: Brown, Rozier, Olynyk, Nader, Zizic, Yabusele, etc.

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 06:24:38 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I would keep pick. If 5 I'd think of trading it.

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 06:26:04 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I think you trade 3/4 for Butler.  Of course, it may cost us more than that.

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 06:37:50 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If this question essentially boils down to "3-5 years of Jimmy Butler at age 28-30+ or 8-9+ years of Josh Jackson or Jayson Tatum at age 20-28," I think I would probably prefer to use the pick.

After all, we might be able to trade for Butler without including the 2017 Nets pick anyway.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 06:47:54 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
The only guy we keep the pick for in this draft imo is Fultz.
If it's not #1 then trade it for Butler or George.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 06:54:59 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I think Jackson goes top 2, so you're probably looking at Ball or Tatum, or maybe Fox.  I think I'd trade it, if the additional cost isn't too much.  Bradley, GY and 3 for Butler I'd do.

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 06:57:13 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The only guy we keep the pick for in this draft imo is Fultz.
If it's not #1 then trade it for Butler or George.

No way, not with Hayward out there.  Suppose the offer for Butler or George drops to "just" Bradley and the Brooklyn pick.  That's one choice.  Alternatively, you can trade Bradley for a future 1st (let's say in 2020), and wind up with Hayward, this year's pick, and that pick in 2020 instead of Butler or George.

I think it's pretty clear what the better option is.

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 07:01:44 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Please correct me if I'm way off, but would it be unbelievably stupid for a max level player to sign an extension rather than ink a fresh deal in free agency right now?

And how would anyone be assured of a 5-year window in a league of 4-year contracts?

With those short guaranteed deals, wouldn't any star being traded for only have a year or two left?  What idiot would give up a top-5 pick under such circumstances?

The his CBA has changed the trade market for marquee players, like it or not. Do we need to get screwed to grasp this new reality?

Make the pick, lure the star.

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 07:09:43 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Please correct me if I'm way off, but would it be unbelievably stupid for a max level player to sign an extension rather than ink a fresh deal in free agency right now?

And how would anyone be assured of a 5-year window in a league of 4-year contracts?

With those short guaranteed deals, wouldn't any star being traded for only have a year or two left?  What idiot would give up a top-5 pick under such circumstances?

The his CBA has changed the trade market for marquee players, like it or not. Do we need to get screwed to grasp this new reality?

TP: Although no need to use the word "idiot" on CB.  Everyone has the right to their own opinion.

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 07:16:52 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'd probably keep the pick. I'd definitely keep it at 3. Probably at 4

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 07:17:28 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

You're off somewhat.  In the case of the Celtics and George, it would be possible for them to trade for him and have enough cap room to renegotiate his contract to the max and then extend him for an additional two seasons.  This would enable him to make more money in each of the next three seasons than he otherwise would (his contract in 2018 and 2019 would be greater than the free agent max for his level of experience).  He would also then hit free agency in time for the 10 year experience max, with the Celtics holding Bird rights, at age 30.  The only way he could make more would be to qualify for the supermax deal next year and extend with the Pacers.

In the case of IT, for a different example, he could renegotiate up to the max this summer and sign a 5-year contract.  Because he'd make so much more this year (over $19 million), he'd make more over the total deal than he would if he signed a 4-year max next summer, even though he'd make a Lowe dollar amount in each of those years on the extension compared to the free agent contract.  So there are certainly still reasons for even max players to pursue extensions in some cases.

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 07:48:05 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

You're off somewhat.  In the case of the Celtics and George, it would be possible for them to trade for him and have enough cap room to renegotiate his contract to the max and then extend him for an additional two seasons.  This would enable him to make more money in each of the next three seasons than he otherwise would (his contract in 2018 and 2019 would be greater than the free agent max for his level of experience).  He would also then hit free agency in time for the 10 year experience max, with the Celtics holding Bird rights, at age 30.  The only way he could make more would be to qualify for the supermax deal next year and extend with the Pacers.

In the case of IT, for a different example, he could renegotiate up to the max this summer and sign a 5-year contract.  Because he'd make so much more this year (over $19 million), he'd make more over the total deal than he would if he signed a 4-year max next summer, even though he'd make a Lowe dollar amount in each of those years on the extension compared to the free agent contract.  So there are certainly still reasons for even max players to pursue extensions in some cases.

Wow. You should be an agent. TP.

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 07:55:07 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
If the pick is outside the top 2 your going to get sh!t for the pick. So you mind as well keep the pick 3 or 4 and take BPA..

#1 or 2 -  Sign and trade for PGeorge and you win the East.

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 08:29:15 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I agree keep it and sign a guy with the cap space.