Author Topic: Pick #3/#4 or Jimmy Butler  (Read 8907 times)

Re: Pick #3/#4 or Jimmy Butler
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2017, 10:30:01 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
For the record, I would think Butler's price has gone down. Bulls aren't really dealing from a position of strength and I don't think it will cost us a BKN pick to do the deal.

Marcus Smart is my favorite player on this team, but all feelings and fandom aside, I think Rozier + Smart + 2 non-BKN 1st rounders as well as salary filler get this deal done. Our 1-3 rotation would look like:
IT/Fultz
Bradley/Brown
Butler/Crowder

That's pretty elite.

LOL

You don't really think you're getting a top ~15 player for two backup point guards and late first round picks do you?

I don't think it's crazy. 2 first rounders is a pretty good haul, as well as a couple of intriguing prospects. Add in salary filler like Zeller and you get cap space.

After all, what did the Kings get for all-NBA Cousins? Buddy Hield and a pick? What did Orlando get for perennial DPOY Dwight Howard? Vucevic (an unknown at the time) and Afflalo? What did we get for trip-dub machine and multiple time all star Rondo? Crowder (an unknown) and Brandan Wright?
Ehm wait, we also got Jameer Nelson, a second in 2015 (iirc Marcus Thornton), and a first in 2016 (Yabusele).

With hindsight, there is little doubt Boston won that trade. This is not only because the return was pretty good, but also because the post ACL injury 29 yo Rondo was not the same value as the All Star Rondo. (I'm p sure Dallas was aware of this, why they still agreed to the trade is another story.)

We got the second in 2016, who became Demetrius Jackson.  The trade was as follows:

Rondo
Dwight Powell

For

Dallas 1st --> sandwich protected in 2015, became pick #16 in 2016 (Yabusele)
Dallas or Memphis 2016 2nd --> Demetrius Jackson
Brandan Wright --> traded two weeks later for top-12 protected Minny 1st, turned into 2 2nds in the 30s in 2016 and 2017.  The 2016 pick was packaged with a Philly 2nd for the 2019 Clippers 1st.
Jameer Nelson --> salary dumped to Denver for Shavlik Randolph
A sizeable trade exception (I think about $13 million, but I don't remember exactly how the deal was structured at this point.)

In total, Crowder, a 1st, 3 decent 2nds, a trade exception, and no long-term salary obligations.  At the time the deal seemed disappointing (just as many felt the KG/Pierce deal was, not to mention the Ray Allen deal), but as time went on, it became clear that this was a big win for Ainge.

Anyway, I don't see Ainge selling a top 5 pick AND a very good starter AND other picks for George or Butler.  Even if that pick is #5.

« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2017, 11:12:22 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Tatums ceiling is danny granger. Not sure why you would want to pass on that.

Lots of players have ceilings that high, whether they get there is another matter completely.
first off no lots players don't

2nd: We're the #1 seed. We can add 1-2 star  free agents and draft a top 4 pick this off season and continue the dynasty without trading for a rental of Jimmy "9 seed" butler. There's no rush to add butler unless he's a free  agent

Many of the leagues best SFs weren't even drafted highly

Butler - 30th
George - 10th
Kawhi - 15th
Giannis - 15th
Hayward - 9th

Non-SFs

IT - 60th
Draymond - 35th
Kyle Lowry - 24th
Marc Gasol - 48th
Millsap - 47th
Tony Parker - 28th
Manu - 57th

My point? Stars come from all over the draft.

As for being the one seed, that's great and all but I don't see what it has to do with anything. We aren't contending this year.

Add two star free agents?

1. We can't afford two star free agents to my knowledge.
2. Our chances at any of them are very minimal.

The Bull's playoff seeding is irrelevant.

There is a lot wrong in this statement, but I will leave the "#1 seed" and "not contending" as the best example.

« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2017, 11:14:08 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
So let's say we end up only landing with #3 or #4, do you take Josh Jackson or somebody else or do you trade it away for Jimmy Butler and look forward to another top pick in 2018?

You miss the question badly.

Pick 3/4 + Smart + Crowder + Brown or Jimmy Butler??

I have zero doubts.

Way too much for Butler. We would nevet give that up.
It would be Bradley+pick #3 or 4.

The Bulls laugh at that offer. We need two good assets at least, plus the pick.

If that was the price, Butler would be a Celtic long ago.

Mate you are miles AWAY. lol.

Fixed for you, "mate"  ::)

Can you tell me the last time a play like Butler was traded away from a struggling franchise for as much as that package you're suggesting the Bulls would somehow get?

A #3 or #4 pick in one of the deepest drafts of the decade PLUS Jaylen Brown who is looking possibly like a top 3 player in his class and was the #3 pick PLUS Jay Crowder PLUS Marcus Smart?

That would possibly be one of the great trade hauls in NBA history especially for a team in a crappy position such as Chicago's front office who are desperate to rebuild and get a few more years in the lucrative jobs (Garpax) before they ultimately get fired.

The Garpax GM duo in Chicago are skating on thin ice. From the failure to put any stars around Butler, to the Rondo Signing, from the horrible welcome home Dwayne Wade has had, to the dumping of McDermott and Gibson basically surrendering a playoff push in hopes for better lottery seeding. They are desperate and as was reported this week by an anonymous NBA exec:
'Jimmy Butler is as good as gone' from Chicago.
And one of the worst parts? The hiring of Fred Hoiberg after the public scapegoating of Thibadeau.

But yeah, they'll get a record return off elite assets for a disgruntled Jimmy Butler when they are desperate to get another shot at saving their jobs through one of the deepest draft in the last 10 years.

You are smoking some good stuff from GALAXIES AWAY there.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 11:30:43 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2017, 11:50:32 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
So let's say we end up only landing with #3 or #4, do you take Josh Jackson or somebody else or do you trade it away for Jimmy Butler and look forward to another top pick in 2018?

I have zero doubts.

Can you tell me the last time a play like Butler was traded away from a struggling franchise for as much as that package you're suggesting the Bulls would somehow get?

A #3 or #4 pick in one of the deepest drafts of the decade PLUS Jaylen Brown who is looking possibly like a top 3 player in his class and was the #3 pick PLUS Jay Crowder PLUS Marcus Smart?

That would possibly be one of the great trade hauls in NBA history especially for a team in a crappy position such as Chicago's front office who are desperate to rebuild and get a few more years in the lucrative jobs (Garpax) before they ultimately get fired.

The Garpax GM duo in Chicago are skating on thin ice. From the failure to put any stars around Butler, to the Rondo Signing, from the horrible welcome home Dwayne Wade has had, to the dumping of McDermott and Gibson basically surrendering a playoff push in hopes for better lottery seeding. They are desperate and as was reported this week by an anonymous NBA exec:
And one of the worst parts? The hiring of Fred Hoiberg after the public scapegoating of Thibadeau.

But yeah, they'll get a record return off elite assets for a disgruntled Jimmy Butler when they are desperate to get another shot at saving their jobs through one of the deepest draft in the last 10 years.

As I don't smoke and am GALAXIES AWAY more polite than you are, the conversation stops here. Find another person to try to look down on, not me  ;)

« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2017, 01:02:18 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

I have zero doubts.

As I don't smoke and am GALAXIES AWAY more polite than you are, the conversation stops here. Find another person to try to look down on, not me  ;)

Okay so reading this again I may have taken your polite/joke as a diss saying that I have no idea what I'm talking about. If this is not what you meant, and you jokingly meant we are living miles away from each other then I apologize....
If not then we can agree to end the conversation.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2017, 01:50:55 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Chambers:
Of course I was telling we live miles away. Take it easy, man; we are rooting for the same team and you have no need to take down people with different opinions this way. We are here to enjoy, not to get angry. TP and move on, sorry for the other users.

« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2017, 01:56:37 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
Chambers:
Of course I was telling we live miles away. Take it easy, man; we are rooting for the same team and you have no need to take down people with different opinions this way. We are here to enjoy, not to get angry. TP and move on, sorry for the other users.

Again, my apologies. I didn't detect the joke at first, TP to you too my fellow Celtics diehard.