Author Topic: Pick #3/#4 or Jimmy Butler  (Read 8922 times)

Re: Pick #3/#4 or Jimmy Butler
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2017, 07:00:04 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
So let's say we end up only landing with #3 or #4, do you take Josh Jackson or somebody else or do you trade it away for Jimmy Butler and look forward to another top pick in 2018?

You miss the question badly.

Pick 3/4 + Smart + Crowder + Brown or Jimmy Butler??

I have zero doubts.

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2017, 07:30:07 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
i doubt that butler is worth more than crowder and a future non lottery pick right now

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2017, 07:31:30 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
So let's say we end up only landing with #3 or #4, do you take Josh Jackson or somebody else or do you trade it away for Jimmy Butler and look forward to another top pick in 2018?

I have zero doubts.

Way too much for Butler. We would nevet give that up.
It would be Bradley+pick #3 or 4.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2017, 07:55:25 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
It all boils down to win now or plan for the future. If Ainge thinks Butler puts us over the hump and makes us legit contenders it might be worth sacrificing a decade of potential to win now. If Ainge believes Butler won't move the needle you don't make the trade.

Personally I think you keep the pick and build for the future, we aren't winning a championship anytime soon unless Durant leaves GSW. I am also in the camp that believes Butler is very overrated. Solid player, and while an upgrade over Smart/Bradley, not a significant enough one to take up that much cap space and cost us valuable assets like a top 4 pick in a loaded draft.

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2017, 08:19:23 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

I have zero doubts.

Way too much for Butler. We would nevet give that up.
It would be Bradley+pick #3 or 4.

The Bulls laugh at that offer. We need two good assets at least, plus the pick.

If that was the price, Butler would be a Celtic long ago.

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2017, 08:53:24 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
Problem with trading for Butler -- or any other player -- on draft night is that the draft comes before free agency. The Celtics have a decent shot of adding Gordon Hayward, for instance, and hanging on to their top draft pick. If you trade for Butler you basically take yourself out of the running for free agents, that's the issue.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2017, 09:00:12 AM »

Offline jyyzzoel

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
Keeping the pick and having 9 years of Tatum or Jackson rather than giving it up for Butler: 

100 million percent agree with this.

No question.

If you are talking about an all-star or potential all star under the age of 25, then I think about it. But Jimmy Butler? The guy has one year left on his contact - and we could just sign Hayward in the offseason while keeping the pick.

I would take 9 years of Tatum, Jackson, or Ball (who knows) over Jimmy Butler at the age of 28? staying for one year then possibly leaving.

The Bulls won't get what they want back for Butler. They'll trade him for pennies on the dollar. They waited too long
Butler has 2 years left and Hayward is far from a guarantee.

I agree with the bolded. I dont think we need to give them '17 anymore. That ship has sailed.

That said, I still would have done Butler for Zeller + Bradley + unprotected '17 at the deadline.

the extra half-season of Jimmy was fairly important to me.

Yeah my bad you're right. Two years locked up. Nevertheless no way I'm giving up 3rd or 4th for Butler now. That price tag is not happening.

When you have Tatum or Jackson on the board and you will have them for at least 8 years guaranteed provided no injuries - no way.

If the pick were 5 or 6 we could talk
you don't have them for at least 8 years guaranteed, you have them for 5.  the 4 year rookie deal and then the 1 year on the Q.O.

Who has done that recently? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely asking because the only player I remember doing a one year QO after their rookie contract is Greg Monroe. I don't mean the plauer won't select to do the 1 year QO, it's just incredibly rare and if the player is really good (top 3 should be) it almost certain they'll stay 8 years.

Everybody else (whos really good and wasn't traded) has pretty much signed another 4 or 5 year contract with the team that drafted them after their rookie deal expired: Wall, Cousins, Lillard, McCollum, Adams, Beal, DeRozan, AD, Barnes, D. Rose, Love, Drummond, Curry, Thompson, Draymond, K. Leonard, Griffin, Hayward, Gobert, Horford, Giannis, Westbrook, Durant, Rondo, Wade... But idk if Lebron did... Did he? Even Jonas V, D. Jordan, etc. There are exceptions, but generally it's 8 if the players really good.

I'm not being annoying or sarcastic, I'm just saying if you have a top3 or 4 pick and you pick a potentially great player, which you should in the top 3, you pretty much have them locked up for 8 years before they hit UFA.

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2017, 09:55:38 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Keeping the pick and having 9 years of Tatum or Jackson rather than giving it up for Butler: 

100 million percent agree with this.

No question.

If you are talking about an all-star or potential all star under the age of 25, then I think about it. But Jimmy Butler? The guy has one year left on his contact - and we could just sign Hayward in the offseason while keeping the pick.

I would take 9 years of Tatum, Jackson, or Ball (who knows) over Jimmy Butler at the age of 28? staying for one year then possibly leaving.

The Bulls won't get what they want back for Butler. They'll trade him for pennies on the dollar. They waited too long
Butler has 2 years left and Hayward is far from a guarantee.

I agree with the bolded. I dont think we need to give them '17 anymore. That ship has sailed.

That said, I still would have done Butler for Zeller + Bradley + unprotected '17 at the deadline.

the extra half-season of Jimmy was fairly important to me.

Yeah my bad you're right. Two years locked up. Nevertheless no way I'm giving up 3rd or 4th for Butler now. That price tag is not happening.

When you have Tatum or Jackson on the board and you will have them for at least 8 years guaranteed provided no injuries - no way.

If the pick were 5 or 6 we could talk
you don't have them for at least 8 years guaranteed, you have them for 5.  the 4 year rookie deal and then the 1 year on the Q.O.

Who has done that recently? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely asking because the only player I remember doing a one year QO after their rookie contract is Greg Monroe. I don't mean the plauer won't select to do the 1 year QO, it's just incredibly rare and if the player is really good (top 3 should be) it almost certain they'll stay 8 years.

Everybody else (whos really good and wasn't traded) has pretty much signed another 4 or 5 year contract with the team that drafted them after their rookie deal expired: Wall, Cousins, Lillard, McCollum, Adams, Beal, DeRozan, AD, Barnes, D. Rose, Love, Drummond, Curry, Thompson, Draymond, K. Leonard, Griffin, Hayward, Gobert, Horford, Giannis, Westbrook, Durant, Rondo, Wade... But idk if Lebron did... Did he? Even Jonas V, D. Jordan, etc. There are exceptions, but generally it's 8 if the players really good.

I'm not being annoying or sarcastic, I'm just saying if you have a top3 or 4 pick and you pick a potentially great player, which you should in the top 3, you pretty much have them locked up for 8 years before they hit UFA.
Monroe is the only guy who went that route, but plenty of players are traded before that decision, like Harden, Noel (this year), etc.  You are also assuming that Boston is going to think the player is going to be worth max or near max.  Plenty of restricted free agents never live up to max potential, but are still very good and those players often don't have contracts matched (or force a sign and trade).  Joe Johnson, for example went that route where he was worth a lot more to Atlanta than to Phoenix and they worked out a sign and trade rather than Phoenix being forced to match pushing them way into luxury tax.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2017, 10:02:13 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Keep the pick

If Fultz , Jackson , fox is available

4 th would not trade the pick for another older player like Milsap , Butler would be good with me.   If your not trading for someone who will move the needle forward a good amount , then might as well take a great pick with promise.

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2017, 12:24:32 PM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Bring the Butler!

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2017, 12:26:16 PM »

Offline jakeopp

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
I have a strong preference towards Fultz in this draft. If we land at #1 i'm taking my chances with him. If we have to chose between Ball/Jackson/Tatum or trading the pick for Butler then i'd take Butler.

Hayward is pretty unlikely in free agency at this point... to anyone suggesting him as an alternative to Butler.

Ball i'm not even interested in. Is Tatum's ceiling even as high as where Butler is right now? Athletically he's kind of lacking, and all of the leagues elite SFs are more athletic than he is. Jackson's shooting will hold him back, name one elite player who shot under 60% on FTs at any point in their career. Seems like a bust candidate to me.
tatums NBA comparison on nbadraft.net is Danny granger and Shane battier. I'll take a potential young Danny granger  for 9 years over a rental max butler for 3 years.

How likely is it he reaches that potential though? Jimmy Butler is an elite player now, a sure thing.
were the #1 seed and have the best youth  developing head coach in the league. Why can't we wait if we're the 1 seed? What's the hurry

I don't see what our current seeding has to with anything. We aren't even a contender this year.

What proof do we have​ that Brad is the "best youth developing head coach"? Marcus Smart? Jaylen Brown? James Young? Terry Rozier? None of our young guys have proven anything yet, other than that they are wildly inconsistent.

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2017, 02:22:09 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
For the record, I would think Butler's price has gone down. Bulls aren't really dealing from a position of strength and I don't think it will cost us a BKN pick to do the deal.

Marcus Smart is my favorite player on this team, but all feelings and fandom aside, I think Rozier + Smart + 2 non-BKN 1st rounders as well as salary filler get this deal done. Our 1-3 rotation would look like:
IT/Fultz
Bradley/Brown
Butler/Crowder

That's pretty elite.
- LilRip

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2017, 02:35:09 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I personally say if we end up at 4 you trade it away either way. If we end up at #3 I might be inclined to grab Jackson because he could develop into a player very similar to Butler in his mid range/playmaking abilities.

The missing piece of this equation is what are the odds of getting Hayward as a FA without having to give up the pick.

I'd take the pick and Hayward over just Butler.

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2017, 02:51:55 PM »

Offline jakeopp

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
For the record, I would think Butler's price has gone down. Bulls aren't really dealing from a position of strength and I don't think it will cost us a BKN pick to do the deal.

Marcus Smart is my favorite player on this team, but all feelings and fandom aside, I think Rozier + Smart + 2 non-BKN 1st rounders as well as salary filler get this deal done. Our 1-3 rotation would look like:
IT/Fultz
Bradley/Brown
Butler/Crowder

That's pretty elite.

LOL

You don't really think you're getting a top ~15 player for two backup point guards and late first round picks do you?

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2017, 02:54:29 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Tatums ceiling is danny granger. Not sure why you would want to pass on that.

We're the #1 seed. We can add 1-2 star  free agents and draft a top 4 pick this off season and continue the dynasty without trading for a rental of Jimmy "9 seed" butler